IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 4 **Space Invaders**

Atari5200

It's time for a classic. Space Invaders. Call it what you will, but I picked this game because I honestly think I might have a chance on this one. Default settings, emu ok any controller, i read in the instruction booklet that it was compatible with the trakball but haven't tried it yet myself. So lets go get them aliens.

Competition will end on 6-02-2007

Current Leaderboard updated 5-25-2007 at 10:49am est.

1. Jetset: 17041

2. Allan: 11886

3. eegt97: 7250

4. BydoEmpire: 7058

5. 82Atari5200: 6352

6. Atari5200: 6276

7. Lord Helmet: 1670

8. Goochman: 1074

Edited by Atari5200

i haven't had time to play this unfortunately, tried this morning but trying to get ready for work and get the baby ready to go doesn't leave much time. I got pretty far about 3 weeks ago scoring well over 1000 so I know I can do it again, I love this version, alot more fun to me than the 2600 version.

i think this game is pretty easy, got 978 so far and would have done better but it's hard to play when you have an 11 month old that has learned how to turn the tv on and off. But i got that far without losing a life, so once I get some time to myself, i'll be able to put that score to shame.

i think this game is pretty easy,

'Course it is.. they took out every strategic element of Space Invaders that made the arcade game what it was and instead turned it into a one dimensional game like Galaxian :P Space Invaders is NOT just a "move left/right, shoot, avoid shots" game, but that's what the Atari ports are :lol:

Anyway.. scored 2400+ without losing a single life and then I had to go back to work. I'll try again a little later. :)

i read in the instruction booklet that it was compatible with the trakball but haven't tried it yet myself.

It is, and for me much like Galaxian the control is way better with the TB. I haven't paid much attention to the HSC club (mostly out of laziness) but I think I'll play a few games and post my score for you losers to try and top. :razz:

i read in the instruction booklet that it was compatible with the trakball but haven't tried it yet myself.

It is, and for me much like Galaxian the control is way better with the TB. I haven't paid much attention to the HSC club (mostly out of laziness) but I think I'll play a few games and post my score for you losers to try and top. :razz:

I think someone needs to redo this game so it would be like the Arcade. Question how many of you are using just the controllers?

post-997-1180055484_thumb.jpg

Ok, 2nd go was a little better. I'll wait until someone tops this to go higher. :D

BTW...why can't I get a file to upload using Mozilla Firefox? I can only upload using Explorer.. :?

Edited by jetset

i am using stock controller, haven't tried with trakball, and I have absolutely no problem playing this game, very easy in my opinion to play with the stock controller.

I'll see what i can do. Boy it's funny how they came out from the left side. My guess that you shoot them at that point.

post-997-1180055484_thumb.jpg

Ok, 2nd go was a little better. I'll wait until someone tops this to go higher. :D

BTW...why can't I get a file to upload using Mozilla Firefox? I can only upload using Explorer.. :?

got me by 1,000, my high was 6276, so I'll have to try harder.

7058 - I have a pic, but haven't had a chance to upload it. The 5200's is a darn good version of the game!

Ohhh...come to knock me off eh? Ok. I have the whole weekend to best that (although at the later levels it gets harder than I remembered!)

Agreed, it is a great port. One more reason to have had a 5200 back in the day (and now).

Although WTF is with the mother ship coming down (somewhere around the 6th-7th wave), scooping up your cannon and flying off with it? I totally don't remember that happening when I used to play! I frickin panicked the 1st time trying to shoot it and move away thinking I was going to lose a life or something!!!

Playing this makes me sorry I didn't snag one of the "arcade" hacks that had been done in the past..I wonder if any of them are still available...

7058 - I have a pic, but haven't had a chance to upload it. The 5200's is a darn good version of the game!

Ohhh...come to knock me off eh? Ok. I have the whole weekend to best that (although at the later levels it gets harder than I remembered!)

Agreed, it is a great port. One more reason to have had a 5200 back in the day (and now).

Although WTF is with the mother ship coming down (somewhere around the 6th-7th wave), scooping up your cannon and flying off with it? I totally don't remember that happening when I used to play! I frickin panicked the 1st time trying to shoot it and move away thinking I was going to lose a life or something!!!

Playing this makes me sorry I didn't snag one of the "arcade" hacks that had been done in the past..I wonder if any of them are still available...

I got one of CPUWIZ's versions about a year or so ago. I bet he'd make you one if you asked nicely :)

I'm working all weekend (Monday, too), so I don't know that I'll get another shot! Haha, yeah, I had no idea the ship would come down, either. That's what I love about HSC. I get to actually spend some time with games that have been sitting on the shelf for far too long. Definitely enjoying this one.