IGNORED

Commodore question

Copying C64 software back in the day (past around 85/86) was actually rather tricky, but with the right skills, tools and expertise, it could be done. Hence all the cracking groups. It wasn't something your average person could just do. Well not in Europe at least.

Copied software has NO value apart from the disc it is on today. Practically all games ever released are somewhere on the net, which you can download and transfer onto a floppy and play on a real C64.

A lot of originals DO have value... mainly RPGs (Ultima, Wizardry, SSI etc), adventures (Infocom, Rainbird), curiosities (eg MULE), cartridges (for obvious reasons) and various other hard to find items.

Copying C64 software back in the day (past around 85/86) was actually rather tricky, but with the right skills, tools and expertise, it could be done. Hence all the cracking groups. It wasn't something your average person could just do. Well not in Europe at least.

Copied software has NO value apart from the disc it is on today. Practically all games ever released are somewhere on the net, which you can download and transfer onto a floppy and play on a real C64.

A lot of originals DO have value... mainly RPGs (Ultima, Wizardry, SSI etc), adventures (Infocom, Rainbird), curiosities (eg MULE), cartridges (for obvious reasons) and various other hard to find items.

Most software has its highest use within the first 6 months of its release. Once you get pass that initial time, the value of that software begins to drop to the point where it eventually goes into the bargain basement pin of a software store and then keeps going until it has little or no value at all.

Certain games in a series like the ones that are mentioned above will sometimes be sold as part of a set like for example there was a company called Encore that released the first 6 Ultimas from Origin Systems on one CD. That particular CD is no longer in circulation and is difficult to find (I have one of them though :D). Also Sir-Tech has gone out of business except for SIr-Tech Canada who about a year ago released the final installment of the legendary Wizardy series. I believe that after that, Sir-Tech Canada too may have gone out of business.

Otherwise unless it had a limited run and thus possible making it a collector's item, older software in general has very little value except perhaps for sentimental value.

Otherwise unless it had a limited run and thus possible making it a collector's item, older software in general has very little value except perhaps for sentimental value.

Try telling that to the people who pay $80 for Ultima 1 and $120+ for Ultima 2, or the hoards after complete C64 cartridges that appear on eBay (myself included). Take a trip to my website and check the carts out... you can't then tell me it hasn't taken blood and money to get where I currently am!

I'm just glad I kept all my software from the 80s/90s and never sold anything off. A lot of people today are VERY jealous of the amount of items I own, because they did get rid of their collections at some points. But that's just me, I'm loathe to chuck anything out :D

God knows how much I'd get if I put it all up for sale...!

Noticed that I said in general. It does not apply to all pieces of software. Some people love the idea of being able to replay programs that they have not played in years because there is a fond memory of the time that they played that program before and which they wish to experience again.