IGNORED

Nintendo Play Station Prototype... Found?!

Atari Master

They could have at least wiped the dust off it before the pics, geesh. I dunno, whats up with them being so cryptic and vague about it?

I wonder if any Playstation games would actually work on it... :?

Uh no, all it was, was a proposed CD-ROM add-on for the SNES. I still have the specs and a SNES shaped Sony controller somewhere in a box, back from the days.

Although, the working prototype I saw, looked nothing like this. :ponder:

They could have at least wiped the dust off it before the pics, geesh. I dunno, whats up with them being so cryptic and vague about it?

I wonder if any Playstation games would actually work on it... :?

Uh no, all it was, was a proposed CD-ROM add-on for the SNES. I still have the specs and a SNES shaped Sony controller somewhere in a box, back from the days.

In a documentary I remember something like Nintendo dropped the add-on CD system, Sony was so angry they made a PlayStation systems with a Famicom cartridge port since they knew it would piss nintendo. Due to licence Nintendo signed Sony could use it but after seeing that there system was good they decided they did not want anything to do with Nintendo's cartridge port and ran the system on there own merit. I sure they made a prototype of a PS1 with Famicom cartridge port but as too how many and if that system is it I don't know. I think the prototypes or real systems ment to be sold or what ever was made was destroyed, They said in the documentary about 100 were made.

I seen it on youtube but do to copy right I thing it was taken off, look up Video game systems history if its still up. It was a 5 part video talking about xbox,nintendo, Atari (I think) and Play Station with other videos about founder of sonic and mario.

Thats cause this a fake bastard creation. :lol:

i agree with shawn, it looks fake to me, someone threw a gutted playstation 1 and a famiclone in an old vcr or some shit

I think this is one of those bootleg Hong Kong muti-game systems. One of those Famicom clones. I've seen these labeled Playstation and Nintendo before.

Ever seen the ones in the Xbox molds before? Those are funnny as hell cause it's a real Xbox shell just where you would have a dvd drive there is a cart port instead :lol:

I still can't believe that the PlayStation evolved from the original SNES-CD project. Why did Nintendo drop the whole thing to begin with?

Nintendo started to farm out the CD based add on idea to another company and went back and forth and back and forth with Sony and (to the point) Sony said fuck yourself to Nintendo and made there own console instead.

I still can't believe that the PlayStation evolved from the original SNES-CD project. Why did Nintendo drop the whole thing to begin with?

Nintendo's contract with Sony basically sold the farm to them. All kinds of royalties and rights would have been handed over to Sony. For some reason, no one noticed this little snafu until the 11th hour. :roll:

Nintendo dropped the CD-I because Philips couldn't create a game console to save their life. Nice attempt at an early multimedia player, though.

I think this is one of those bootleg Hong Kong muti-game systems. One of those Famicom clones. I've seen these labeled Playstation and Nintendo before.

Ever seen the ones in the Xbox molds before? Those are funnny as hell cause it's a real Xbox shell just where you would have a dvd drive there is a cart port instead :lol:

But are they HUEG like a real Xbox?

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, Its not too unlike Nintendo wanting to team up with Atari, then turned them down. Nintendo becomes huge.

Sony attempts deal with Nintendo. Deal falls through. Playstation is huge.

But are they HUGE like a real Xbox?

Yep sure are. Only weight about 1 pound versus the 5 or so pound xbox though.

But are they HUGE like a real Xbox?

Yep sure are. Only weight about 1 pound versus the 5 or so pound xbox though.

Someone doesn't know the joke.

http://images.google.com/images?q=hueg+xbox

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/XBox (FYI, you really don't want to follow any links out of that page)

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah if I remeber correctly nintendo has always made all their money by charging companies a commision for making their games basicly to get the seal of approval Acclaim would take their game to Nintendo then Nintendo would Charge Acclaim so much money to manufacture the game for them using all official parts charging them something like $5 to $15 a cart to produce them then Acclaim would take that same cart and mark it up to $30 to $45 to make a profit.

This is why Nintendo had so many lawsuits against them in the 80's (this and other rules).

Well Nintendo and Sony were making a deal to make basicaly a SNES with a double speed CD-Rom on top so they could compete w/ Sega and NEC oen CD rom buisness. I guess Nintendo didn't know how to mass produce optical CD Roms and NEC (turbo-16) was actualy winning the game war in Japan and Sega was #1 in America. The deal gave sony basicaly all the rights Nintendo would normaly get and gave NES a small comision per game.

When the big dogs at NES found out they were upset and at the 11th hour they made a quick side deal w/Phillips to make the system then announced at the Electronics show. With no warning to Sony.

This actualy worked out for Sony because their sailure made them stronger. Also if the Sega CD games were any indication of the games that would of been made for the SNES-CD then it was wise to be able to fail on Sega's name rather than Sony's name.

Also Sony lucked out because in the next 3 years they were able to look a (Sega-CD, CD-i, and 3Do) and figure out what not to do on a CD-Based system, and look at the success of 3-D based games in the Arcade to know that 3-D not FMV was the way to steer the system.

Think about it the move to be a 3-D only system is the reason that Saturn was a failure, Sega throwing extra 3-D chips in a system that nobody knew how to use, Sega the people that invented 3-D fighting w/ VR Fighter killed by Sony's Toshiden.