Keeps getting greater with each new version
So many great improvements to observe!
- gameplay is perfectly balanced now: still challenging, but never feels unfair
- music works like a charm now, and the option to tune it to your liking leaves no wishes open
- big bravo for the improvement of the smartbomb feature! It always felt a bit out of place in the 1K version, and it's obvious why now: the punishment for using it was a major demotivator. It was an excellent design decision to drop the "score-setback" sanction! The smartbomb has now become a real option, fully integrated into gameplay. Its accustic and optic effect are also perfect now!
- great game over screen! Minimalistic, but absolutely effective. Clever use of sound as well!
- love the end of stage ship blastoff! Cool effect that's perfectly fitting with the mood of the game: a continuous flow - always moving forward.One observation and request here though
: the start game/level animation feels rather awkward and out of place, IMO. The ship which proudly blasted off after clearing a stage, now helplessly plumets down to the bottom of the screen like a sack of potatoes? Does not make much sense in my eyes and feels anticlimatic...Suggestion
: after blasting off the top of the screen, the ship reenters from the bottom at full speed and comes to a controled halt at about mid-screeen, thereafter hovering down again to the bottom. That would reinforce the illusion of the ship flying through an alien universe moving from one dangerous zone to the next, autonomously (and heroicly) choosing to take up the next challenge.
Yeah, it's all about psychology Ok, here comes one BIG suggestion
Stage 3: Catch!
The simple idea: a third gameplay style, where the ship has to catch the falling objects (stars for instance). This would basically be a bonus stage and consequently shorter (only 40 enemies or so): the player will not lose by missing an object, but he will try to catch as many as possible in order to increase his score. Getting all of them will get him a special bonus on top. Yes, clear shades of Galaga here!
I think the extra effort to implement this would more than pay off in added gamefun...in a way introducing a third dimension to Lead...
...would be great if you could consider this...