IGNORED

How do I use an Atari SC monitor with an Atari 8-bit?

FastRobPlus

Last (finally) the best combination I've ever had is the ATI All-In-Wonder or Hauppage Win-TV cards used with an LCD monitor, and these are scalable displays, also. These are *awesome* if you can be tied to a PC (or Mac?) to use the Atari.

Your experience with the TV capture cards is exceptional: on most setups, they look like crap. There's a whole thread about it:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105926

I've only ever tried one TV card (WinTV) with one Atari (XEGS, composite output), and after a couple of days of tweaking it I finally gave up in disgust. The picture was usable I guess, but didn't look anywhere near as clean as the same XEGS plugged into the composite input on the 1702.

Being tied to the PC while using the Atari wasn't a big deal for me, since I'm addicted to the SIO2PC...

Yes, there are a lot of capture cards out there, and many absolutely suck. But I've had three AIW display cards and two WIN-TV cards and used them with various flat panel monitors. All were/are great. But along the way, I have tried others (especially stand-alones) that were pretty poor in one way or another. And I did try an ATI TV-Wonder card once, but it clearly was defective, so I returned it and never tried another. (Why? -- because the TV Wonder card supported the true mono XEP80, while the more recent AIW cards did not. But I never tried another because it still overscanned the screen.) But exceptional or not, I'd put the AIW display cards with a flat panel up against *anything* including the older Commodore/Amiga monitors that I've owned and seen with other Atari owners. Incidently, LCD monitors do have one problem that I've noticed -- lack of a vertical size adjustment which makes them difficult to use with an XEP80.

BTW, do you use SIO2PC as opposed to APE? Just curious from your reply...

-Larry

Yes, there are a lot of capture cards out there, and many absolutely suck. But I've had three AIW display cards and two WIN-TV cards and used them with various flat panel monitors.

Which WinTV card(s) do you have? Mine's pretty old, the original one I guess (stereo audio, bought it before the "WinTV Go" mono version even came out). Maybe it's time to replace it... though it looks great with my VCR.

BTW, do you use SIO2PC as opposed to APE? Just curious from your reply...

I was talking about the SIO2PC cable. The software I actually use is AtariSIO, since I'm using Linux. But if I'd said AtariSIO, most people wouldn't know what I was talking about...

Which WinTV card(s) do you have? Mine's pretty old, the original one I guess (stereo audio, bought it before the "WinTV Go" mono version even came out). Maybe it's time to replace it... though it looks great with my VCR.

I no longer have either Hauppauge model, but the first was just called (IIRC) WinTV -- unlike the "GO" model, it had S-video. The second was the newer WinTV PVR model with the hardware MPEG2 encoder. It also has S-video. If yours does not support S-video, that would be a significant difference, unless you are using an Atari output that is composite-only. You didn't ask, but my AIW's were/are 1) (Rage) AIW 128 Pro, 2) (Radeon) AIW Pro 9000, and 3) AIW 2006. Both the latter cards are AGP -- haven't gone to PCI-X (yet).

Understand about the AtariSIO. I don't use Linux, but I've heard lots of good things about it.

-Larry

• 11 months later...
As Atari never had even one monitor that matched the XL, I think the XL can never be a complete system. For this reason, even though I owned/loved a 1200XL when it was current, I don't want an XL system. Likewise, since Atari never came out with thier XE monitor, the XE system will always be incomplete in my eyes.

Talking about drudging up an old thread. There is a version of the Magnivox monitors that match the XL series perfect. Most MV monitors had a screen frame that was a light brown color but I have one or two that the screen frame is the chocolate brown of the XL. They look killer together.

Here are a couple of pix.

Here are 3 Magnivox monitors, the botton being one of the standard tan versions, the top 2 being the chocolate version. One is a model 40, the other a model 80.

post-6701-1213739491_thumb.jpg

Here is one of the chocolate monitors with a 800XL. Matches very nice. The monitor is a bit more on the lighter side of beige but close enough for a good looking XL system.

post-6701-1213739516_thumb.jpg

You should also mention that these are some of the absolute BEST and SHARPEST quality monitors I've ever seen on an 8-bit.. (When they are in good condition and adjustment, of course).

I have 3 C=1084S, one C=1702, and one magnavox professional (looks just like the one in the pic.) The magnavox is only mono audio, but in terms of display quality, it puts the others to shame..

I have to agree, especially with a clearpic or supervideo modded XL. I have used the MV monitors for close to all my usage of the Atari 8bit from day one. Lower in the stack (not in the pic) is an amber monochrome version of the model 40 which was one of the first monitors I ever used. The box under the 3 color ones is also a mint monochrome.

Edited by Guitarman

That is the exact Magnavox monitor I used with my 130XE for years back in the day (the color 40)....

The one I have is Model No: 8CM-515

I have one too. I found it at a yard sale last year. The best $5.00 bucks ever spent on a monitor. Best 8-bit quality I have ever seen.

Hi Puppetmark, your B&W SC monitor interface for the 8bit certainly fits this thread... ;)

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to update my fellow Atari geeks.

I finally finished my Atari SC1435 composite mod. I finally found the correct Commodore 1084S monitor that you can swap the guts to allow a perfect fit. You need the 1084S-P1 model, it is a drop in fit. The 1084S-D2 I tried did not fit. The PCB was too long and did not fit well. I have another D1 model but did not want to try it as it was in better shape than my P1...

All you have to do is drill out the extra RCA's for the chroma and luma and stereo sound, then 3 other put buttons in the rear. Then there is the issue for the Color and Hue knobs. I just took them off for now, but you will have to drill holes and file down to allow those to come out the front. I'll post some pics with my 130XE soon...

• 1 year later...

Yes, it has the spots on the board for the components, they just aren't populated.

Aha... excellent news. I'm expecting one in the post tomorrow (can't wait!) and while it's primarily intended for my VBXE 130XE, it would be rather cool to wire up the chroma/luma as well.

Anybody got a schematic or service manual for one of these? A photo of the populated spot on the Commodore board would also be useful.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Got the schematic. Just need a high quality photo of the commodore 1084S-P1 motherboard now...

I have the service manual but it's not very helpful. It's apparently a cut down photocopy of the original Philips CM8833-II service manual that Atari created on the cheap. :roll:

A full service manual for the Philips CM8833-II is what would be really nice! A photo of the populated board may work if it's detailed enough. :)

Mitch

The service manual I obtained is the exact correct one for the 1084S-P1, but the circuit diagram is pretty unclear so I wouldn't like to rely on it when it comes to adding components.

I hadn't realized that the CM8833-II is yet another monitor using the exact same mainboard, but this certainly seems to be the case. The CVBS is wired up on that monitor, so a photo of that monitor's motherboard may also be helpful.

Urgh... pleasure overload... icon_smile.gif

post-21964-128326172479_thumb.jpg

D9 is a bit loose on the back and the red pin appears to be broken, but wow!

...yes, the RGB connector just needs soldering. The tube is stunning. The Last Word looks great; this is the best monitor I own.

Edited by flashjazzcat

The service manual I obtained is the exact correct one for the 1084S-P1, but the circuit diagram is pretty unclear so I wouldn't like to rely on it when it comes to adding components.

I hadn't realized that the CM8833-II is yet another monitor using the exact same mainboard, but this certainly seems to be the case. The CVBS is wired up on that monitor, so a photo of that monitor's motherboard may also be helpful.

I think the CM8833-II is the original that both the Atari and Commodore monitors are clones of.

Mitch

Urgh... pleasure overload... icon_smile.gif

post-21964-128326172479_thumb.jpg

D9 is a bit loose on the back and the red pin appears to be broken, but wow!

...yes, the RGB connector just needs soldering. The tube is stunning. The Last Word looks great; this is the best monitor I own.

Fantastic! That's how it should have been from the start.

It's hard to believe Atari was so adverse to spending the extra $0.50 in parts it would have taken to have this work right out of the box. But then again, we are talking about the Tramiels, so maybe its not so hard to believe.

I was going to toss out this MV 80 today, but when I saw this thread I pulled it from the jaws of the e-waste machine.

Anybody want it? (free) Works fine.

Bob

post-14708-128330297282_thumb.jpg

I have to agree, especially with a clearpic or supervideo modded XL. I have used the MV monitors for close to all my usage of the Atari 8bit from day one. Lower in the stack (not in the pic) is an amber monochrome version of the model 40 which was one of the first monitors I ever used. The box under the 3 color ones is also a mint monochrome.