IGNORED

ASSUALT FORCE 3D w/Super Charger cartridge

Gunstar

• 1 year later...

Hi Fandal!

Great piece of work! I have some questions about SuperCharcher. Now probably You know everything about supercharger :) can you tell us more details about it? (e.g. register map, commands, math). Can You tell us what kind of calculations done by the hardware?

Looking at game code, we can see that the game code puts some values at $d5xx page, wait some time (nop,nop,nop), and read the result from $d5xx. Please tell us more ;) I'm very curious about that.

whooops... i have noticed that HiassofT described registers and commands of supercharger at post #14 in this thread :) so my question in that case does not have any sense :) sorry :)

with greetings

Seban/Slight

Edited by seban

Hi Fandal!

Great piece of work! I have some questions about SuperCharcher. Now probably You know everything about supercharger :) can you tell us more details about it? (e.g. register map, commands, math). Can You tell us what kind of calculations done by the hardware?

Looking at game code, we can see that the game code puts some values at $d5xx page, wait some time (nop,nop,nop), and read the result from $d5xx. Please tell us more ;) I'm very curious about that.

whooops... i have noticed that HiassofT described registers and commands of supercharger at post #14 in this thread :) so my question in that case does not have any sense :) sorry :)

with greetings

Seban/Slight

Just one note: HW multiplication or division is called on 19 different addresses in the code of AF3D as it is NOT necessary to use construction STA $D503 NOP NOP NOP NOP LDA $D50X. You just must wait at least eight cycles for results after storing value into command register and it does not matter how the code spend those eight cycles.

F.

Edited by _Fandal_

Locks up for me when I press start in Atari800Win.

What speed for the emulator is comparable to the game with the chip installed? I'm assuming the patch takes more cycles for the multiply/divide than the hardware so it is running more slowly?

Steve

Locks up for me when I press start in Atari800Win.

What speed for the emulator is comparable to the game with the chip installed? I'm assuming the patch takes more cycles for the multiply/divide than the hardware so it is running more slowly?

Steve

Yes, SW calculations are slower than HW ones, but I was able to save 512 cycles per frame via some optimalizations in the original code so I would say that my hack is running on the same speed as original game. But I'm not sure. No benchmarks were done. :)

F.

Yeah, maybe because of the fact, that this "3-D" is a part of a slogan written next to the name of game on the cover of disk (and it's written in similar size as the title), so it has "became" part of the name. ;)

I see what you mean. I suppose that a casual glance at the box might allow someone to misread the title.

Perhaps the fact that Andrew Krieg's cartridge list called it that also helped to propagate the idea.

This does sound really interesting, too bad the concept of adding a math co-processor to an 6502 based computer became more popular. My fastest multiply routine took over 100 cycles to complete. That is cheating by un-rolling the routine 8 times, and doing away with a CLC (clearing the carry flag) instruction and decrementing the multiplier by 1 at the start of the routine. The other solution is have pre-calculated tables.

It was cool if someone did build a cartridge, but they could have gone for an ECI/PBI expansion or an internal upgrade as well. Would leave the cart port free. The Sublogic Flight Simulator would update the screen much quicker. A much better port of the Star Wars arcade game could be done. Just to name a few examples, any vector based game would run more smoothly if this technology was more wide spread.

• 3 years later...