IGNORED

Bee Ball - 2600

LS_Dracon

This looks very cool, I need to give it a try!!

..Al

Tnx Albert. I hope you enjoy.

I really love that game already! I sucked in the beginning but I figured it out how to play.

Will the game speed be increased or do you keep it on that level?

Keep up the good work!

Tnx Nognir.

I can change the speed, if you want. You think this speed is too slow?

I want add levels, increasing ball speed (gravity) at every new match. But not for now.

LS_Dracon

First of all let me say what I great piece of work you have going here. I'm not a programmer, just a player, but I'm very

impressed by what you've got so far. The bee graphics are fantastic, and I thank you for letting the community play with

your creation.

I have no desire to criticize your work, it's great, but I thought you might want to hear some ideas from an outsider that might possibly

improve gameplay.

For your consideration:

It seems the ingredient that makes all "net" sports exciting is the "spike", and I think that if you work with encouraging the spike, and

blocking the spike the gameplay will be fantastic!

1) I don't think the ball necessarily needs to be faster, but I think maybe the bees should be able to move/change directions quicker. They

seem too sluggish for me to get where I want to be on the playfield quickly.

2) I lose the ball a lot off the back of the raquet and through my bee's head. If the bee's head were solid, I think it might add greatly to

the gameplay. Along with quicker bees, it would then be much more possible to block "spike" attempts, and I think spiking/countering could

be the ingredient that makes this game fast paced and a lot of fun. This change would also allow head butts.

3) Lastly, if you wanted to encourage "spiking", it might be advantageous to lower the net just a little, and maybe even add short retaining walls

at the back of the courts. I marked in blue what I'm talking about on the screenshot. Although, now that I look at it, maybe the rear retaining walls

would be a bit too tall.

I think you've got a real gem of a game going here. Thank you.

post-5519-1190318807_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blackjack

Tnx BlackJack for feedback.

1) I don't think the ball necessarily needs to be faster, but I think maybe the bees should be able to move/change directions quicker. They

seem too sluggish for me to get where I want to be on the playfield quickly.

I can increase the speed, the problem is time to decelerate, are equal... I try made a code to stop more quick, but I gain no succes... I'll try again in other day.

2) I lose the ball a lot off the back of the raquet and through my bee's head. If the bee's head were solid, I think it might add greatly to

the gameplay. Along with quicker bees, it would then be much more possible to block "spike" attempts, and I think spiking/countering could

be the ingredient that makes this game fast paced and a lot of fun. This change would also allow head butts.

This will be hard to do... I don't have much rom space for this.

I'll improve the block movement, don't worry about that, I agree, at this point the block are useless.

Raquet had 8 pixels, it´s short... I figure about 12 pixels wide shoud be good, but 8 pixels is the maximun I can in VCS for this object.

3) Lastly, if you wanted to encourage "spiking", it might be advantageous to lower the net just a little, and maybe even add short retaining walls

at the back of the courts. I marked in blue what I'm talking about on the screenshot. Although, now that I look at it, maybe the rear retaining walls

would be a bit too tall.

I'll reduce the net, about 4 lines. The retaining wall aren't possible for now.

I think you've got a real gem of a game going here. Thank you.

You're welcome. I really need feedbacks and beta testers, becouse this game is done by atarian for atarians.

If you found bugs (except bee ones hehehe... ok no fun) please let me know. :)

Edited by LS_Dracon

I improve the stroke movement, now you can do this far from net.

There's a trick, the vertical movement of ball don't change, so if you want throw in middle of you side, push up, and ball will go to up, and press button.

If you are close to net, trow ball to up, but hit when it's falling.

Block also was improved too.

A funny thing happen yesterday, when I test AI, the opponent bee start to score some points, I try to play serious but at first time, I lost one match to my own game.... :x

I made one video, hosted on google video, if you want to see how I play it, or how to do the new moves. I not made a good play, becouse the screen recorder make emulation a bit slow, and I play in small screen.

BeeBall Video

Edited by LS_Dracon

Awesome!

I like the lower net.... and the AI was kickin my butt! Fantastic.

I still lose a lot of points by the ball going back through my head. I lose a lot of points that way not being ready for the throw in.

You did know that the scores roll back to 1 after reaching 10 didn't you? I'm sure you do, I just thought I'd mention it "just in case".

This game is gonna rock when it's done!

LS_Dracon

I have followed the evolution of Bee Ball, and I have to tell you how impressed I am by it. Implementing AI is a huge step forward, and the game obviously has a very good pedigree. You're obviously a very talented person, this game looks and plays great. I'm also surprised by how well the graphics handle the very tight limitations of the hardware, the horizontal lines are all very well placed. The sprites couldn't look better, and the peculiar controls present a good challenge.

I guess it's obvious that you will eventually build a nice title screen with single or multiplayer choice. Let us know how that goes.

(BTW, I'm new here, even though I follow the forum since August or so. Cheers everyone, there's some amazing work being done in this community.)

Raquet had 8 pixels, it´s short... I figure about 12 pixels wide shoud be good, but 8 pixels is the maximun I can in VCS for this object.

If you use software collision detection, you could perhaps move the racket a pixel or two away from the player, but regard the ball as colliding if it hits the area between the racket and the player. Software collision detection to see if the ball hits the player could also avoid problems with the ball passing through any gaps, though collision-detecting an irregularly-shaped object is a little trickier than determining collisions between boxes.

You did know that the scores roll back to 1 after reaching 10 didn't you? I'm sure you do, I just thought I'd mention it "just in case".

Is just for test. When a player score 10 points the game is over, this will be add in future versions.

I guess it's obvious that you will eventually build a nice title screen with single or multiplayer choice. Let us know how that goes.

Tnx for the nice words.

Yes, the problem is space in bytes for it... Finishing AI code the title screen will be a priority, if possible. And welcome to AA Community Johnny_Boy. Take a beer. :)

If you use software collision detection, you could perhaps move the racket a pixel or two away from the player, but regard the ball as colliding if it hits the area between the racket and the player.

One good possibility, I'll think on this.

Edited by LS_Dracon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends at Atariage.

In a rainy Sunday, I brought to you a new version.

-Finished AI code. It's the best I can do in this 4k game.

-Re-added bee judge animation

-Fixed many bugs

Ok, AI done, next step is a title screen.

Enjoy :)

PS. I need help, if somebody can test this game in real hardware, i'll be glad, mainly the stroke movement.... Becouse happens some bugs in old 2600 emulators, but work fine in z26 and new stella.

Edited by LS_Dracon

Cool game. I think I found a bug though. It seems that when the ball goes off the screen, the player who's side it was on gets a point instead of the player who shot the ball. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it should either bounce back off the side of the screen or the player who made the shot should get the point. Having the ball bounce off the side might make for some interesting gameplay.

-Legend

It seems that when the ball goes off the screen, the player who's side it was on gets a point instead of the player who shot the ball. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it should either bounce back off the side of the screen or the player who made the shot should get the point.

I just checked it and didn't find that bug at all..... If the defending player touches the ball before it goes out of bounds, then the other player gets a point. Are you sure you didn't touch it first?

Cool game. I think I found a bug though. It seems that when the ball goes off the screen, the player who's side it was on gets a point instead of the player who shot the ball. It doesn't make sense to me.

If I'm not wrong...

When a object cross one edge (yellow arrow in atached snap), this object start to be draw in opposite edge (red arrow).

To avoid this, the ball is removed before cross the edge. A problem happen in down corner (blue arrow), this is ball-in, but my code say ball-out.

I'll take care about this.

Good AI.... he beat me to 10 first time around.

I still lose the ball off the back of the raquet a lot.

I'll try add "head butt" support. ;)

post-10940-1192490454_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon

New version, Head Butt added!

Thanks to BlackJack for suggestion, and I realy need say thank you becouse this turn into a cool move!

Head butt not avoid only ball missing, this can be usefull for surprise attack too.

Is funny defend a spike with this. To a quick look, wait ball hit the raquet, then press back and stop.

1 - Only works if ball is going to back, so not mess the gameplay.

2 - Only works when ball hit the bee's head, ya rly, the ball change horizontal direction, and vertical speed have a fixed value (never change)

3 - You can use this for blocking, if ball is in our side (becouse the button turn to stroke)

4 - Now the opponent is a bit hard... :P

Also, fixed the corner bug, some changes in AI, and small graphic changes in background.

(I not sent the head butt information for AI yet).

Edited by LS_Dracon

I was working in a title screen today.

The result will disappointing people here. I have half of 1kb to finish the game! A full graphics title screen isn't possible.

- Added Title Screen, press controller button to start

- Added reset switch support

- Small changes in AI and head butt

etc...

The image is a mockup, options will be added soon.

Enjoy :)

post-10940-1193010711_thumb.jpg

Edited by LS_Dracon

As an aside - way cool avatar!

Tnx SpiceWare, I see programmers here use own game as avatar, so I draw it for me. :)

Sweet game! keep up the good work

Tnx rheffera

New Version!

Option Menu added. Choose between Single or Multiplayer, press up or down to select and controller button to start.

Single you play against cpu.

Multiplayer for play against player two.

The screen freeze in matchover, The bug in score I'll fix soon.

My first game is near to be done. :)

Edited by LS_Dracon

As an aside - way cool avatar!

Tnx SpiceWare, I see programmers here use own game as avatar, so I draw it for me. :)

You drew that - wow - that's even more impressive! Don't often see programmers that are also talented graphic artists. Edited by SpiceWare