IGNORED

Why do people disparage Atari 2600?

Room 34

After a couple of recent experiences, I am starting to seriously wonder, why are people these days so quick to disparage Atari?

SITUATION 1

This one is well known to any of you who bother to read my posts. It concerns a certain 22-year-old co-worker of mine who was severely criticizing Atari 2600, but who before long was a certifiable Asteroids junkie.

SITUATION 2

Over the July 4 holiday, my wife's family gathered as usual at the family farm in Michigan. I decided to bring one of my 2600s and some games. (I plan to make it a permanent donation to the farm, but I need to do some work on it first.) At one point, my 35-year-old brother-in-law expressed some boredom, so my wife suggested, "Why don't you play Atari?" My brother-in-law replied with great disdain, "I'm not gonna play Atari!" But what do you know... before long, he was spending nearly every spare minute on Missile Command, Space Invaders, Frogger, etc.

So, with clear evidence that people who disparage Atari may in fact like it, I have to wonder, why do they criticize it in the first place? Give it a freakin' chance, people!

As a side note, I don't remember where I heard this, but someone once said "The opposite of love is not hate, but apathy." In other words, sometimes the intensity of emotion towards something can be confused, and a person may act hateful towards something they actually like.

Because a large proportion of the population, when they reach their early teens, decide to become 'adult' and consequently distance themselves from all the things that they did as a child. A healthy thing in some respects, but a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater in others.

It took Sonys 'hip' dressing up of videogames in the mid 90s to convince most people to play games again. To play the exact stuff they used to love as kids is maybe a leap too far.

Basically, they're rubbish - and we're all better than them. But you knew that :D

Because a large proportion of the population, when they reach their early teens, decide to become 'adult' and consequently distance themselves from all the things that they did as a child.

You probably have that right. It is a shame, really. I have always made as much of an effort as possible NOT to let go of my childhood interests, because I think a lot of the wonderment at one's very existence is tied to the things we do and the ways we think as children.

I am also hopeful that this will make me a better parent (when/if I become one), because I will (hopefully) be able to relate better to the children than most other adults I observe. I've been testing it out on my 3-year-old niece and so far it seems to work pretty well.

I agree with CF. If you have to ask, you don't get it. I feel sorry for people who aren't into video games, it's like, what's wrong with you?? No imagination.

For the most part, people I have come across think Atari is cool, and guys and girls both either remember it fondly or think it's retro look is great, even the younger ones.

I simply don't understand that mentality whereby you get older and leave all things that are fun behind?? No way buddy, long after you die of boredom, I'll be playing Space Invaders... with your grand kids....!

Some people don't get it. That's the only way you can really sum it up. The 2600 is like the Ramones that way, or Monty Python, or Star Wars. If you have to ask, you'll never know; that kinda thang.

CF

Chris,

One of my biggest joys in life is thrashing out Ramones songs on my guitar. The faster the better. It's a shame about Dee Dee, what a waste.

Of course my video games are important too. :)

1-2-3-4,

Chuck

i remember my junior year of high school i was sitting in my stupid study hall and some fat little freshman kid was talkin to this other kid about whatever system was about to come out and how cool it was goin to be and yadda yadda yadda and then someone said somethin about the holy atari and the little kid turned in his chair, squirming at the kid and said, "atari sucks"

i was taken aback but decided it best to just remain calm and stay quiet the teacher was evil, the man looked like satan and flirted with all the girls even though he had a kid

i just dont think the younger generations that didnt have ataris and whatnot are fully able to appreciate its beauty sure there are a few kids wholl play atari (they even post here at AA) but most just take for granted good graphics and soundtracks and i dont think theyll ever be turned

terribly about the absence of capital letters and a good lack of punctuation its just my style

After a couple of recent experiences, I am starting to seriously wonder, why are people these days so quick to disparage Atari?

Hell, I've disparaged the 2600 plenty through the years. Of course, never more so than in 1984-85, when the market died. The only reason I still have all my original Atari carts is that I didn't think anyone else would want them. :roll:

Some of it could be I was tired of defending the sucky graphics and limited gameplay. Yes--back then. I can't imagine trying to sell the 2600 to kids now if they are not open to it.

But then, you grow up and realize there is more to life than what you see at first glance. For me, no other system has the magic that the 2600 has. 8)

i think alot of trashing of it can be attributed to that the 2600 stayed on for soooo long alot of people remeber it, especially after its peak it took criticism for a long time. hardly anyone puts doen coleco intv or these days sega because they let the games die with dignity (i guess)

Chuck -- Yeah, bummer that there are only half of the original Ramones left! I don't think it's a stretch to say that the 2600 is like the Ramones of video games -- three chords, direct, and to the point! The GameCube, etc. etc., might have prettier-looking screens, but in many cases, nice graphics just a provide a way to distract the player from the lack of any original or appealing game-play. I'll take the real thing over the glossy re-punk bands OR systems any day, if you get my somewhat convoluted analogy.

CF

Some people don't get it. That's the only way you can really sum it up. The 2600 is like the Ramones that way, or Monty Python, or Star Wars. If you have to ask, you'll never know; that kinda thang.
I totally hear where you're coming from on this one.

I am also hopeful that this will make me a better parent (when/if I become one), because I will (hopefully) be able to relate better to the children than most other adults I observe. I've been testing it out on my 3-year-old niece and so far it seems to work pretty well.
I've always made an effort to keep an eye on the current child-crazes, as I find it helps me identify with children better. It's easier to talk to someone if you have something to talk about. Show them that you're interested in what they find fun, and they'll amaze you with their understanding of 'your toys'.

While I may not like some of the crazes, I always make sure I have good reasons for this. If a kid asks me 'why don't you like .... ', I find it a lot easier to say why I don't consider that particular toy/show/whatever to be good if I actually know what I'm talking about. As I said, show your kid some understanding, show them that you know what they like, and then they'll listen to you and respect you.

One of the most important links between my dad and I when I was a child, was the fact that he would help me when I played the computer. Be it showing me how to run a game, installing software (and later, watching me install things), playing a game or two with me, or taking me along when he went to fix other people's machines (I learnt 90% of my foundational computer knowledge just by peeking over his shoulder and holding wires into place for him), he was there to help encourage my interest in computers.

Kids appreciate the effort that you take in order to relate to them. Don't make half-assed attempts, as they'll know. If you make a sincere effort to be there for them and encourage them in their hobbies (ahh, and I mean hobbies, not crazes), they'll appreciate it and remember you for it.

I babysit occassionally for neighbours, and people tell me that they are amazed at the way in which I deal with children. I rarely have to yell, as they give me back the respect I give them to begin with.

Treat your children like gold.... because, they're even more valuable than that.

As for the 2600.. You have to remember, that of the sheer number of games produced for the system... how many are worth playing? I know that while I have a 100+ collection, I sure as hell don't want to play them all. Nothing could force me to play some of those attrocious demons. While those games that are great are great, most people only want to play certain games because they remember them.

I've always made an effort to keep an eye on the current child-crazes, as I find it helps me identify with children better. It's easier to talk to someone if you have something to talk about. Show them that you're interested in what they find fun, and they'll amaze you with their understanding of 'your toys'.

It's interesting that you say this.

My 3-year-old niece is too young to appreciate video games yet, but she does like to watch TV. One morning during our week together last week, I sat down with her and watched "Caillou" and "Sesame Street". (OK, the latter is something that truly does bridge our generation gap. And it was weird to see classic bits I remember from my childhood followed by new stuff like "Elmo's World.")

Then later she was bored, so I decided to try to entertain her with a tape of "Lidsville" (a totally drug-drenched freakout kids' show from the early '70s that I just barely remember but happened to buy on VHS a couple years ago). At first I was afraid the giant talking hats might frighten her, but she seemed to like it.

I found out, a couple days after I left, that she was crying because she couldn't watch "the hats" anymore. (I had taken the tape with me.)

So here's more proof... today's kids can appreciate the stuff we had back in the day...

It's a trade off though. They'll appreciate you talking to them and working 'on the same level' as they are. On the other hand, they'll see you as just another kid, which means that while they will respect you, they may not respect your authority.

This isn't necessarily a problem with parents and their children, as the parent is intrinsically an authority figure in the child's mind. It can be a problem though, when looking after other people's kids. You identify and get along well, but the minute you need some authority, there can be problems. The solution is to obtain a balance, and make sure to keep a level head. Remember, just cause your kid is having fun, doesn't mean that you can't too.

I brought an Atari to my friend's house last night, and he didn't "disparge" (I don't know what that means :ponder: ) it at all. We ended up playing over fifty games of Video Olympics. Too bad his parents don't allow him to own any video games. I feel sorry for the poor guy.

Like many here, my love of video games started with the 2600, and with all of the subsequent advances in technology, I have not found many games that match the game play of the best 2600 carts. For me, the best 2600 titles set the benchmark for incredible, addictive game play, and I think only some of the more exceptional offerings through the years have matched them. Granted, there is a "magic" to the 2600 that one either perceives or doesn't. For me, that magic has captivated me most of my life. I think most of the aversion younger players have is based on the graphics of 2600 games. They're so used to amazing eye candy, they get stuck on the blocky looks of Atari carts, and never see the amazing play mechanics of those games.

I ran across an interesting tidbit in the second part of Earl Green's article on classic game programmer Bob Harris from Classic Gamer Magazine #6:

But here's an example of how things have certainly changed. One of the guys where I work is 25, and he talks about wanting to design video games. What he talks about is, basically, a storyline. His story. The whole experience he wants his player to have, he is mapping out. And that seems to match what I see in the games he plays at lunch. They are graphically impressive. Yet everything that is there for him to discover has been put there by the designers.

Contrast this to many of the older games. Take, for example, Robotron. The game has no story line. The designers put a bunch of different elements in the game; in this case, it was opponents with different capabilities. The elements are literally scattered randomly about the playfield; there's no design here. As a player, you have a problem to solve. And the problem is not just simply one the designer made up. The solution to the problem-the strategy of playing the game-was not known to the designer until he or she got the game running and started playing it. Like chess, ther strategies are not designed into the game; they are a result of the game. I'm sure the Pac-Man designers never expected people to memorize patterns to play the game. The probably didn't even know the game had those patterns.

It seems as though some of the Atari titles have a creative spontaneity inherent in their design that is missing from some of the more modern games. Not to say I don't enjoy the modern titles. I do. But I love the energy and game play of these early efforts. They've always been magic to me.

Treat your children like gold.... because, they're even more valuable than that.

Awesome statement, Kale. Couldn't agree more.