IGNORED

Sony knocking $100 off the PS3

moycon

By nature, it will always suck where you paid price X for a product, and later on it is now X - Y. The suckage can be measured approaching from the time you purchase closer to X - Y price.

I bought my ps2 for $300 about 2 months before they knocked the price down. I was like "meh".

By nature, it will always suck where you paid price X for a product, and later on it is now X - Y. The suckage can be measured approaching from the time you purchase closer to X - Y price.

I bought my ps2 for $300 about 2 months before they knocked the price down. I was like "meh".

Exactly, That is why I posted "just" bought.

I guess that's the 60 gig (since the 20 gig is gone)? It's a start, but $500 is still pricey for most people though.

One million people just bought a $500 cellphone, dude, it's not that big a deal. Especially considering what you get for the money. :P

Well I guess people getting two jobs to pay it off worked out really well for Sony. :P

Does anyone else feel that this is a pretty desperate move that is edging towards a fire sale considering that it's a console that's only been out nine months? I understand all the amazing stuff you're getting with it but I've been hearing that since before the $600 price tag and that still didn't move units like Sony had hoped. Either way I suppose this is good for everyone that has been waiting to get a PS3. My guess is Microsoft will respond with a price cut of their own before too long (although who knows now that they've extended the warranty to 3 years)

I guess that's the 60 gig (since the 20 gig is gone)? It's a start, but $500 is still pricey for most people though.

One million people just bought a $500 cellphone, dude, it's not that big a deal. Especially considering what you get for the money. :P

Yeah even at $600, I'd say the PS3 was the better value even then :)

Sony knocking $100 off the PS3 July 15th

Sucks for folks that just bought a PS3.

It's always a risk for early adopters. While I'd rather have $100 extra dollars in my pocket, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I bought it early because I wanted to make sure I got one of the PS3's with the hardware ps2 emulation, I wasn't willing to risk waiting for a price drop and end up with a software emulation.

Hopefully this will make the PS3 a bit more competitive.

Tempest

$100 bucks off? Wow, what's next a free bowl of soup too?

XB360 and Wii are seriously kicking Sony's butt all over the place. I guess Sony finally woke up and realized that not everyone wants to spend $500 on a video game system.... they'd rather spend it on an iPhone! ;-)

Curt

Sony knocking $100 off the PS3 July 15th

Sucks for folks that just bought a PS3.

It's always a risk for early adopters. While I'd rather have $100 extra dollars in my pocket, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I bought it early because I wanted to make sure I got one of the PS3's with the hardware ps2 emulation, I wasn't willing to risk waiting for a price drop and end up with a software emulation.

Hopefully this will make the PS3 a bit more competitive.

Tempest

I finally put my game face on today and went over to best buy to take a serious look at the system and their games first hand. I snaked around the entire gaming department and saw no PS3. I asked a worker where they were and he directed me to a pathetic small corner I had simply passed and not even noticed. The few games they had were locked inside of a cage and there was no way to read the titles, it's not like the otjher systems got this treatment. Well, even if the PS3 goes down in flames at least I will be buying a blue ray player.

I finally put my game face on today and went over to best buy to take a serious look at the system and their games first hand. I snaked around the entire gaming department and saw no PS3. I asked a worker where they were and he directed me to a pathetic small corner I had simply passed and not even noticed. The few games they had were locked inside of a cage and there was no way to read the titles, it's not like the otjher systems got this treatment. Well, even if the PS3 goes down in flames at least I will be buying a blue ray player.

If the PS3 goes down in flames I would say it is a safe bet that Blu-Ray will go with it. HD-DVD has cheaper standalone players then BR and there are better quality movies on HD (not that BR isn't capable but they need to use the better codecs and make better transfers.) I wouldn't worry though. I don't think the Playstation brand is going anywhere this generation and BR has the market edge over HD at the moment.

As to whether or not the $100 price drop is a desperate move by Sony, I wouldn't say so. I don't own a PS3 and I definitely don't defend it but this is what everyone has been asking for. You can't slam them for listening to the consumers.

It seems to me that they were having a deal where you get 5 free Blu-Ray flicks with the purchase of a Blu-Ray player... Including the PS3. Is this still in effect? I may wind up getting a PS3 very soon for that very reason. I havemany DVDs and I'm not crazy about a new format, but I wouldn't mind having a select few films in High Def (Like 300 for instance) Too bad the reason isn't because there are ANY games on that system I care to play right now. Same thing happened with the PS2 tho. I bought that system at launch, and the entire 1st year I only had one game Timesplitters, mainly because all the other games for it pretty much looked crappy in my eyes.

Edited by moycon

Even with a $100 price drop, it still needs "must have" games. While I do have a hi-def tv at home, I'm still not entirely ready to start buying HD-DVD or BluRay movies.

Sadly, the whole launch of the PS3 started a vicious circle: people not buying it due to high price, lack of games.

Developers not making PS3 games due to people not buying it. A $100 price drop is a step in the right direction, but now they need some must-have games for it.

Even with a $100 price drop, it still needs "must have" games.

Bingo. The only way I'll be playing my PS3 is if I'm playing PS2 or PSOne games. Or Resistance. On the plus side you can use the hard drive to create memory cards and you can run Linux on it and run emulators through that.

Even with a $100 price drop, it still needs "must have" games.

Unfortunately, the odds of that happening anytime soon aren't very likely.

Sadly, the whole launch of the PS3 started a vicious circle: people not buying it due to high price, lack of games.

Developers not making PS3 games due to people not buying it. A $100 price drop is a step in the right direction, but now they need some must-have games for it.

Even with a drop to $500, that's still not going to be enough. I'm thinking people would want it more like $300 or maybe even $400 at most. With Sony losing a lot of money right now, I doubt they can afford to make a bigger price cut, which means that they're only digging their grave deeper and deeper. So the odds of getting must-have games aren't all that likely. It's kind of like the 3DO, which had some good titles, but it had an unusually high price tag, which killed it off and prevented it from having any 'killer app' titles (at least none that I know of, I could be wrong.)

Even with a drop to $500, that's still not going to be enough. I'm thinking people would want it more like $300 or maybe even $400 at most. With Sony losing a lot of money right now, I doubt they can afford to make a bigger price cut, which means that they're only digging their grave deeper and deeper. So the odds of getting must-have games aren't all that likely. It's kind of like the 3DO, which had some good titles, but it had an unusually high price tag, which killed it off and prevented it from having any 'killer app' titles (at least none that I know of, I could be wrong.)

This may be true on the US where the 360 has a large marketshare, but Japan is a different story. Microsoft wooed alot of Japanese developers to the 360 with promises of a large audience, but so far they haven't materialized. Enchanted Arms, Ninety Nine Nights, Eteral Sonata have all tanked hard in Japan and even their one semi-success story Blue Dragon hasn't sold all that well compared to similar titles on the Wii and PS2. While the PS3 may not be that popular in Japan, the 360 is much much less so.

I'm sure this will mean many Japanese developers will jump ship to the Wii, but the Wii doesn't lend itself to well to many types of games due to the controller and the graphics aren't nearly as powerful as the PS3 or 360. Hopefully this means that Japanese developers will give the PS3 a look. Stuff like White Knight is promising. Japanese style games are the reason I went with the PS3 over the 360.

Tempest