IGNORED

Remembering Cybermorph

Rev. Rob

Cybermorph. The game that launched the Jaguar is perhaps the most associated game when Atari’s final console comes to mind. It embodied the hopes of a once powerful video game company that was desperately trying to claw its way back to the top of the industry. Unfortunately, Cybermorph fell somewhat short, and so did Jaguar when you do the math.

For a game that gets a lot of things wrong, it does some things right. In 1993, 3D flight shooters were relatively uncommon in the video game market, which was primarily dominated by Sega and Nintendo’s 16-bit machines. At first glance, Cybermorph’s polygonal graphics looked futuristic, as if it was a new evolution in gaming.

However, it was not. The initially impressive 3D world was soon overshadowed by poor draw distances, the claustrophobia of small levels, and the pain of enemies that popped into existence seemingly out of thin air.

For many flight shooters and sims, a poor and cumbersome control scheme can spell doom for a game immediately. Fortunately, this is one aspect that Cybermorph got right. The little ship handles well, and the game is perfectly suited for the Jaguar’s three button controller. However, the list of ‘good’ things about this game stops there.

Though the flight controls are laid out thoughtfully and are well executed, Cybermorph may as well not be a flight game, as the game forces the ship to fly so low to the ground that it may as well not be airborne. Want to fly over those hills up ahead? Don’t even think about it! Just don’t crash into them.

The most obvious ailment that the game suffers is plot design that had its origins a decade earlier, when Atari was still in touch with gamers. There are a limited numbers of small levels from which the player selects from at the onset, a small numbers of lives, no unifying story and no way to save progress. Not that it feels like completing a level is progress, as levels are merely picked as opposed to earned.

The objective of the game is to collect pods. Not to complete a series of objectives in each world, not to fight advanced alien races or defeat wicked bosses, but to only collect a small number of tokens. Not exactly thrilling game play, and hasn’t been since Pac Man and K.C. Munchkin battled it out in the early 80’s.

There is a green talking head that is your companion throughout each mission. In a feminine computer voice she congratulates the player on a good job each time an enemy is killed or a “pod” is picked up. She also offers sarcastic quips “where did you learn how to fly” on occasion. However, this featured felt like the developers were trying too hard in when the game was released. It is all too reminiscent of the Odyssey2’s “The Voice” that was released in 1980, an unnecessary voice synthesizer.

Ultimately, Cybermorph is an adequate tech demo for a console that itself is hardly a console. Misleading advertizing campaigns about the power of the system, a lack of third party support, worse hardware design than a Sony console, and corporate incompetence that would make Kenneth Lay blush, and a slew of games worse the caliber of Cybermorph would not only bury the Jaguar, but force Atari into bankruptcy and out of business.

Cybermorph serves as constant reminder of the uncertainty of the gaming market in the 1980’s after the market crash, and of the boom of console upstarts that the world bore witness to in the early 90’s. Like the 3DO, LaserActive, CD-i, VIS, and all other non-Sega/Nintendo consoles of the era, Jaguar was forgotten almost as soon as it came, and with it Cybermorph, the tech demo that was nearly an excellent game.

"As if" it were an evolution in gaming?!? It was THE evolution in gaming at the time!!!

Limited levels to choose from at onset?!? There's like 8-10 to start with, and about 50 overall, show me another game today or then that gives you that choice!

Claustraphobic levels?!? They are open and 360 degree, and larger than just about anything at the time. And you DO earn new levels; another 8 or so after you finish the first set, and on and on through 50 levels!

Short draw distance of polygons?!? All games at this time, that could even compare to Cybermorph suffered from the same thing.

Enemies popping out of thin air?!? You can see the enemies at LEAST all the way to the edge of draw distance, which is far enough.

Flight sim?!? If you think it's a flight sim, your dead wrong. It's not a similation AT ALL! It's a 3D shooter!

While you did collect pods, you can hardly compare it to Pacman since it's free roaming and not in a maze, and it's also a shooter first and formost. Have you even played the game more than 5 minutes? I doubt it!

Adequate tech demo?!? Diehard Gamefan crowned it GAME OF THE MONTH back in the day! And they said it shit all over StarFox at the time! I have the magazine that they wrote about a 7 PAGE review glorifying the game as the FUTURE!!!

Jaguar and Cybermorph forgotten almost as soon as they came?!? YO! Jerk, here it is 14 years later and you are talking about BOTH!!!

Not only are you a troll, but a ignorant and stupid one too! :rolling:

Gamefan, volume 2, issue 1, short recap reviews:

99% "I can't believe that this is the Jag's pack-in. What a deal! This is such a GREAT GAME. The color is phenominal, the control is the best I have ever felt and it will take weeks to beat. Each level is like a mini-game in itself. If this is the first generation then the Jag is my system. Atari, wherever you've been, it's nice to have you back!"

96% "Easily the best of the original Jaguar games, Cybermorph is a 3D, texturemapped TOUR-DE-FORCE with over 50 levels of real-world SHOOTING that will have you engrossed in the action for weeks. ...this game is the free pack-in with the system and there has never been a better one. Atari has made a believer of me...Jaguar is on the prowl and the world of gaming will never be the same."

98% "I must admit, I did not expect one of the first Jag games to be this good. I'm a BIG STARFOX FAN and this game takes that idea and perspective to an entirely new level. You go anywhere you want, before, during, and after each mission to the point of almost feeling that you have really been there. It's hard to explain, but this game takes the word interactive to new heights. I hope this is the shape of things to come."

98% "I can't believe this MASTERPIECE is a freebie! Cybermorph has got to be one of the most incredible games I've played to date. Not only can you go anywhere at any time, but the graphics and smooth real-time environment are truly mind blowing. CM has 50 worlds to experience and each level takes intense study to beat. Just imagine a smoother, more detailed STARFOX in a real world environment, that's all yours to explore, and you've got Cybermorph-the GAME* (*not tech demo-not part of the quote) every development house will be copying for years to come. I'm still blown away that I'm playing a game on an Atari system!"

You should see what they said about it in the MAIN review! It was the best there was at the time, and a classic now, and you don't have a clue Rev. Rob! Get lost!

It was THE GAME that started all the free-roaming 3D console games that we are so use to today. Though it won't ever recieve it, it deserves a place in console history as a true bench-mark and a turning point in console gaming history.

Now don't get me wrong that I'm a Cybermorph fanboy or that I think it's "all that" even compared to later Jaguar titles or it's sequel (which IS "all that"), but it deserves it's props in Jaguar and general gaming history. And no putz like you who most likely wasn't even there (I don't mean you weren't alive, but just that you were probably a SNES or Genesis fanboy at the time) at the Jag's or Cybermorph's release is going to be taken seriously with your half-wit opinions.

I bought the Jaguar in '94 when in college and ALL my friends and frat brothers came buy every day for weeks just to play this game and were completely impressed (impressed? I meant BLOWN AWAY) with it in every way. And one of them had JUST bought a 32X and promptly sold his Genesis/32X and went and bought a Jaguar!

Edited by Gunstar

I haven't looked at Cybermorph for a long time. But from what I can remember, it seems very plain, undetailed and drab, at least by today's standards. I didn't play it "back in the day," so I don't have impressions from then to draw from, only what it looks like to me now.

That said... whether it's fun to play or not is another thing. I'll have to fire it up to see if that holds true or not.

I haven't looked at Cybermorph for a long time. But from what I can remember, it seems very plain, undetailed and drab, at least by today's standards. I didn't play it "back in the day," so I don't have impressions from then to draw from, only what it looks like to me now.

That said... whether it's fun to play or not is another thing. I'll have to fire it up to see if that holds true or not.

For a conosle of that time? Look again. Remember, we are comparing it to consoles

before it. Forget PS1, Saturn and N64. They were at leat a year away and plenty of

time to up the competition.

No console on its best day before the Jaguar could come close to what Cybermorph.

was doing. It had no competiton unless you want to include a decent PC(of that time.)

• Like 1

Perhaps we should start a thread called "Remembering Rev. Bob" how he

could not handle the fact that Cybermorph is enough proof alone that Jaguar

is superior to 32x. Also How he lost his mind trying to rectify Sega's laps of

reality knowing that the 32X could only do Cybermoprh with half the polies

in a window half the size of a normal screen and 65,280 less colors. Pity.

Rev ol boy....you need to relax with the fantasies. 32 X was a neat addon for

Gen but it's no Jaguar and it's no Nuon. Your 32X cant do as detailed a game

as Cybermorph and the Nuon can out do the 32x idling. IT cool to be a fan boy

but be some what real about it. Jag cant texture as fast as the Saturn or the PSX.

I live with it. It's the way it is with progress. Posting troll material will never

convince anyone otherwise.

Cybermorph is alright. It's not the best Jag game, but it's certainly not the worst either. For a game that started out life as a game for the Panther (from what I understand) it's very good.

Tempest

the game (cybermorph) is avg to me even back in the day when i 1st bought it. there isn't any in-game music (title screen is good), graphics are good but still lack detail considering the jags potential (terrain is mostly flat), and i hate it that things appear from nowhere (moutains). many times it's hard to see who your enemies are. the framerate and the smoothness of the game lacks too. battlemorph is an improvement. i still like cybermorph to some degree.

as far as snes starfox, starfox has much better depth and gameplay, better music, controls, and better replay.

starfox : http://youtube.com/watch?v=PmUAuff6ywI&amp...ted&search=

cybermorph:

the fact we can even compare starfox on the snes to the jags cybermorph shows how much power the snes was untilized.

Cybermorph is alright. It's not the best Jag game, but it's certainly not the worst either. For a game that started out life as a game for the Panther (from what I understand) it's very good.

Tempest

the game (cybermorph) is avg to me even back in the day when i 1st bought it. there isn't any in-game music (title screen is good), graphics are good but still lack detail considering the jags potential (terrain is mostly flat), and i hate it that things appear from nowhere (moutains). many times it's hard to see who your enemies are. the framerate and the smoothness of the game lacks too. battlemorph is an improvement. i still like cybermorph to some degree.

as far as snes starfox, starfox has much better depth and gameplay, better music, controls, and better replay.

cybermorph:

the fact we can even compare starfox on the snes to the jags cybermorph shows how much power the snes was untilized.

Terrain is mostly flat?!? There isn't a "flat" spot IN the game besides the water!

Tempest

cybermorph:

Terrain is mostly flat?!? There isn't a "flat" spot IN the game besides the water!

not in the literal sense. you've got the mountains, water, and hills, but on some levels there could be alot more that the jag could have been done to make it feel like you just weren't flying around repeated scenery given that the jag had so much power at the time.

Tempest

cybermorph:

When you say "back in the day" do you mean PRE PSX and Saturn? If not, then I can't disagree, but if you mean compared to Genesis/32X and SNES titles, then you are delusional.

The framerate is superior to Starfox's. you're delusional if you think SF has better control than CM. The fact that no music is a detriment is pure opinion, I personally shut the music off in ALL video games I play if I can, it's an annoyance and a distraction to me. And better gameplay once again is a complete matter of opinion.

The fact that we compare Cybermorph to Starfox is ONLY becuase StarFox was a 3D polygon game like Cybermorph and was released at about the same time. That's THE ONLY reason it's compared at all. Starfox is a good game, there's no denying, and being a better game is purely a matter of opinion, but Starfox can't compare at all graphically to Cybermorph, and you talk about Cybermorph being mostly flat (which is obviously totally false anyway)?!? Starfox was COMPLETELY FLAT, IIRC, except for structures! PLEASE!

Oh, and by the way, it doesn't show how much the SNES was "utilized" at ALL, Starfox had to have the Super FX chip in the cartridge to even pull it off! The SNES without the super FX chip couldn't begin to do a game like Starfox. Get your "facts" straight! :woozy:

Edited by Gunstar

Tempest

cybermorph:

not in the literal sense. you've got the mountains, water, and hills, but on some levels there could be alot more that the jag could have been done to make it feel like you just weren't flying around repeated scenery given that the jag had so much power at the time.

Unless you are talking about a women's chest, there is NO other sense to "flat" other THAN the literal sense! :roll:

Tempest

cybermorph:

When you say "back in the day" do you mean PRE PSX and Saturn? If not, then I can't disagree, but if you mean compared to Genesis/32X and SNES titles, then you are delusional.

The framerate is superior to Starfox's. you're delusional if you think SF has better control than CM. The fact that no music is a detriment is pure opinion, I personally shut the music off in ALL video games I play if I can, it's an annoyance and a distraction to me. And better gameplay once again is a complete matter of opinion.

The fact that we compare Cybermorph to Starfox is ONLY becuase StarFox was a 3D polygon game like Cybermorph and was released at about the same time. That's THE ONLY reason it's compared at all. Starfox is a good game, there's no denying, and being a better game is purely a matter of opinion, but Starfox can't compare at all graphically to Cybermorph, and you talk about Cybermorph being mostly flat (which is obviously totally false anyway)?!? Starfox was COMPLETELY FLAT, IIRC, except for structures! PLEASE!

Oh, and by the way, it doesn't show how much the SNES was "utilized" at ALL, Starfox had to have the Super FX chip in the cartridge to even pull it off! The SNES without the super FX chip couldn't begin to do a game like Starfox. Get your "facts" straight! :woozy:

i have both games. and you've got be delisional to say that you can't compare the two graphically even though graphically speaking the jag has the edge.

and while the fx chip did give the snes the abilty to handle a game like starfox, it goes to show how nintendo was still able to maximize (even adding the fx chip) their hardware (even if it was less than say the jag). the sad fact is the jag was rarely pushed near its potential...

as far as music goes, what would tempest 2000 be without the music? great music in a game does make a huge difference and with a good title screen, i feel it fell short in cyber...

its like other snes games including mortal kombat II and street fighter II on the snes will kick any jag fighting game anyday. and graphically speaking too...

Tempest

cybermorph:

Reality check:

SNES Star Fox was a development long after the release of the SNES when most development teams

knew the machine like the back of thier hand. Cybermorph was a quick and dirty port from the

ill fated Panther to new and strange technology know as the jaguar. A PORT!!!

Graphics:

How anyone would even compare the two is hilarious. SNES starfox is a neat trick at best and does not

even come close to what the Jaguar is doing with cybermorph, in terms of graphics, colors sound effects

OR gameplay. Never mind in shear computational power...noteven close. These two games are nothing

like each other. They are not at all the same game. Yes you have some visual similarities but to even

think they are the same type of game is ridiculous.

First of all, you cant have a TRUE 3D world on the SNES unless you want less than 1 FPS ...MUCH LESS.

What they do in the SNES to get that psuedo 3D is anything but on the fly 3D and a lot of look up predefined

data tables. Again a neat trick but hardly a measure of any systems power. It's probably never worked

harder.

Now do a real comparison.....SNES Wolf 3D vs Jag Wolf 3D...the Jag Version devistates the SNES version.

And that was a weekend port. Rats indeed!

Gameplay:

A game that tells you where you can go vs a game that lets you go anywhere you please?

Harldy. SNES Starfox is the same game always. It 's on one path and you get to go where

the limitations of the SNES take you ..nowhere other than a predifined area. Cybermorph

is a much bigger game and certainly more realistic. I wont are you your taste in games but

to say it has less depth than StarFox is just silly. In game music never did and never will do

nothing for me. Oh, Im a musician for 29+ years too. Outside of Tempest 2000, i never got

excited of in game tunes and usually turned them off shortly after sampling them.

BattleMorph does add music both cleverly, tastefully and appropriately. I cant think of too many

other games outside of these and maybe DOOM the first time I heard the songs, but that is about it.

Cybermorph outclasses Star fox in every way except in game music... which has little to do with

the game play.

Edited by Gorf
  • Like 1

Tempest

cybermorph:

i have both games. and you've got be delisional to say that you can't compare the two graphically even though graphically speaking the jag has the edge.

and while the fx chip did give the snes the abilty to handle a game like starfox, it goes to show how nintendo was still able to maximize (even adding the fx chip) their hardware (even if it was less than say the jag). the sad fact is the jag was rarely pushed near its potential...

as far as music goes, what would tempest 2000 be without the music? great music in a game does make a huge difference and with a good title screen, i feel it fell short in cyber...

its like other snes games including mortal kombat II and street fighter II on the snes will kick any jag fighting game anyday. and graphically speaking too...

I didn't really want to join in on this, but, if you think MK2 and SF2 on the SNES have better graphics then Kasumi Ninja or Ultra Vortek, you sir are on glue. Now, we are not talking what game is better, we are talking what graphics are better, and the 2 I mentioned beat the 2 you mentioned.

Tempest

cybermorph:

I didn't really want to join in on this, but, if you think MK2 and SF2 on the SNES have better graphics then Kasumi Ninja or Ultra Vortek, you sir are on glue. Now, we are not talking what game is better, we are talking what graphics are better, and the 2 I mentioned beat the 2 you mentioned.

Also I think StarFox cheats with an On car processor does it not? I dont know about you , but if you cant tell the

difference in the jaggies on the SNES being MUCH more noticable and hardly noticable at all on the JAguar you

must need classes. And you must be color blind. Posting those two links only showed me that most people with

working vision can Clearly see that Cybermorph is superior, in both color and crispness AND FRAME RATE. I

think it will hurt your argument, not help it.

Star Fox constanly chugs along, droping worse than anything you'llever see on Cybermorph. StarFox did not

meet my expectations considering the hype it was given. I played it like three times and got quickly bored of it.

I keep going back to cybermorph even today 15 years later (or however the heck long its been.)

Posting those two links only showed me that most people with

working vision can Clearly see that Cybermorph is superior, in both color and crispness AND FRAME RATE.

But not color choice, imagination, or design.

Sorry Gorf, but that's my first time seeing it, and my first thought was that it'd be an awesome tech demo for the Amiga, if anyone wanted to try it. But between the fog, and the empty world, I was reminded less of an epic space adventure and more of those tiny suckerfish that clean aquariums out...

It's great if you're looking for a neglected game to love and nurture, or something Zen to occupy your hands while you add up your bills, but there's a reason Starfox shot it down at retail.

Looking at the video, I remembered one of the big things that made CM less than impressive to me. When you look at it, it's like the "world" is just a big square on a table, with nothing at the boundaries of it. I can't think of another way to describe it. It's very ... I dunno, fake, incomplete,... It doesn't look like any kind of real world.

I mean, you can talk about computations, but it's what's on the screen that counts. I shouldn't have to argue gameplay over tech here of all places.

yeah, everything Gorf said. And as a matter of fact, I DO shut the music off in Tempest 2K and the game is STILL JUST AS FUN TO PLAY! As I and Gorf BOTH stated, the SNES had the superFX chip on cart, I can GUARANTEE that someone could put a RISC chip on a Jaguar cartridge, and along with it and the Jag's in-console RISCs, it could blow away not only the PSX and Saturn, but even the N64 with another RISC in the cart. How do I know? Well, becuase a RISC chip that is better than any RISC chip in ANY of the other consoles could be used, the people who might do this are free to choose an incredible RISC chip to put in that cart! Kind of like what Jagware is planning with the Jag CF cart.

And as far as fighting games? You are CLEARLY forgetting Ultra Vortek which looks and sounds and plays better than those SNES fighters, which is a FACT, except for the playability which is opinion. And my opinion is it blows away those SNES fighters. Get a grip. You call ME delusional? Well, I can understand the reason becuase I called you that, but it's black and white that I'm right and you are WRONG.

It's easy to add a chip(s) in a cartridge (or add-on like the 32X) and greatly improve a system far above it's original potential, and the SNES AND Genesis/32X STILL can't compete with a first-gen Jaguar game that's using about 25% of the Jaguar's potential (if programmed right without the 68000 as the main in-game processor, as it SHOULD be).

Just please go away and go hump your SNES and 32X's guys. Quit embarrassing yourselves with complete stupidity. And I like the 32X, but the SNES always sucked and still does. Atari's portable Lynx can outshine the SNES, just look at games like Cybervirus, Blue Lightning, BattleWheels and many others, and it ain't using another chip on a cart or other cheat!