IGNORED

Solaris 2600 game help

Troytn

Picked this game up for $1. Great graphics for the 2600. It has to be one of the better looking 2600 games.

I was hoping someone would help be figure out how to play the game.

I see a map and I move to squares that are blank or have certain symbols in them. I just keep wharping to thee quadrants and fight the fighters?

If anyone has a few minutes and wants to give me the basics on what to look for on this map and how to play the game would be much appreciated.

Also what other games look this great for the 2600 and play

this well. I can imagine it will be even better once I know how to completely play the game.

Thanks

Troy

Some Solaris tips from your friendly neighborhood Chris.

First, some preface remarks: Remember that you travel to the next quadrant (one whole screen in the map mode, in other words) each time you warp to a little "square" right next to an exit (hole in the screen border). You have to obliterate the enemies in that square to get through the exit, though. Also, keeping your two ship images on top of each other as consistently as possible during a warp will ensure that you land near the enemies in that "square" to which you're warping.

Also, READ THE MANUAL!

1. There's a certain trail of quadrants that you have to follow to find Solaris. From your starting quadrant, go west, north, west, north, east, east, east or north, north, east, east and south. (This is based on a map by Scott Stilphen that appeared in 2600 Connection #8.)

2. Stop at every accessible enemy planet along the way. You'll get an extra life for rescuing all of the trapped good guys and blowing up the planet, and you need all the lives you can get for this trip.

3. Stop at every reachable friendly planet to refuel, even if you don't think you need to yet.

4. Remember that you leave a quadrant if you enter a sector (individual square in the map mode) next to the "doorway"; try not to get confused about why you've suddenly appeared in a quadrant that you didn't think you were headed to.

5. The nastier aliens (Cobras, for instance) in the outer-space battles are easier to kill if you keep your ship moving constantly upward, holding it all the way to the left or right. The aliens get confused and keep wrapping below you. If you suddenly stop this movement and shoot at one, you'll get him before he gets you. But whether you place a successful shot or not, start moving in that weird manner again or someone'll get a bead on you!

6. On any planet surface, dodging enemies is always easier than trying to shoot them. In a corridor, reserve your lone two simultaneously allowed shots for one bug-eyed baddie: The first shot can be timed to shoot his bullet and the second will take out the alien himself.

7. The planets that fly at you after a battle's been completed simply suck your fuel upon collision. To save time, make brief use of the righthand joystick, simply pressing the fire button to return to the map screen instead of waiting for the game to return you there automatically.

CF

I got Solaris back in about '87 or '88, when all of my friends were hooked on the NES and had put their 2600s in the closet. (I never had an NES, so I sustained my Atari interest... I got a Tandy 1000 computer instead of a new game system!)

I was totally blown away with Solaris... It really is a great game. I'd say it has enough of a concept and complexity to still stand up well to games that are coming out today!

I concur with the other comments here... read the manual! I'm surprised at a lot of questions people post here that they could answer themselves with information presented elsewhere right here on this site!

I'm surprised at a lot of questions people post here that they could answer themselves with information presented elsewhere right here on this site!

I was sardonically (as is my wont) agreeing with your above comments. Simultaneously, I was indeed aware of pushing myself over the 500 mark in the interest of becoming part of the Dragonstomper elite.

Me again.

I was sardonically (as is my wont) agreeing with your above comments. Simultaneously, I was indeed aware of pushing myself over the 500 mark in the interest of becoming part of the Dragonstomper elite.

OK. I think if I had given it more than a millisecond of thought I would have known you had to be kidding.

I appreciate the ulterior motive however!

Speaking of Solaris...

I just got back from a class in Mathematical Economics (*yawn*) and realized today that those Glider things on the enemy planets (I can't remember what they're called) are Lambda symbols with heads flipping back and forth.

From what I understand, to competently program the 2600 like Neubauer did, you need to know a lotta lotta math... I wonder if he did this on purpose?

Cheers!

Joey

Thanks for all the input..

Any suggestions of other 2600 games that LOOK this great?

How about river raid II? Except one cannot find one for under $30. Pretty stiff for a 20 year old game.

Must be good..

Troy

Anything by Activision is great for playability, except Dragster.

Adam