IGNORED

Super Pong, video composite

mragonias

Hi!, Someones knows how to get a Super Pong C-140 with Video Composite??

I have read the tutorial of pong Story http://www.pong-story.com/peritel.htm, but doesn't run, i dont' get any picture in the tv. Someone tried something similar??

The picture is nearly perfect, but the bats have a little problem: always ara moving a little in vertical, and i don't know how to fix it. Some people tell me that the reason is a dirty potentiometer, but i cleaned and the bats still the same.

Maybe the reason is the Tv, i don't know. The score and the ball are stable, but not the bats. I don't understand why.

Thanks a lot!

• 9 years later...

I know this is an old post, but the C-140 is much older! I too am wondering about doing a composite out mod on my C-140.

Looks like the poor fella (mragonias) signed up just to ask this question, never got a response and never posted here again.

Can anyone share information about getting composite out from a Super Pong?

Well the first post seems to contradict itself stating that there is no picture on the TV and in the next line stating that the picture is perfect.

If it has an RF modulator inside then unless they are combined at an earlier stage I would expect there to be two input signals to that, Composite video and Audio, if you can identify them then I would think it is just a matter of connecting them into the corresponding inputs in the TV via a 75 ohm resistor.

If this circuit diagram is the correct then it is obvious where the audio comes from however the composite video source (if there is one) is not as clear, presumably it has something to do with pins 18, 21 & 23 of the main IC but at which point it is composite and which point it is a modulated signal is difficult to tell although I would guess that most likely places to look would be just after the output of the IC at the junction of L1 & C19 or L1 & R5 but this is just an semi educated guess.

Again sound is obvious, just pick it up from the Collector of Q1 (pin that goes to the speaker and run it through a 75 ohm resistor into either the L or R audio input on you TV.

​VO on the CO10073 could mean Video Out, it looks like video is fed into the RF modulator via L2 so that would be a good place to pick it up for your composite video feed, again run it to the TV via a 75 ohm resistor.

Personally I would recommend isolating the internal speaker and the RF modulator when using composite video and audio on the TV with a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch as follows...

Disconnect the end of L2 that is connected to L1 & C19 & disconnect Q1 collector.

Connect the disconnected end of L2 to the bottom connector of one of the two rows of three on the switch (video row) and connect the speaker to the bottom connection of the other row (audio row). Either end can be the bottom, it just depends on the orientation of the switch.

Connect the top switch connection on the audio row to either a Red or White RCA/Phono connector (Audio) and the other top connection to a Yellow RCA/Phono connector (Video), both via a 75 ohm, 0.25 watt resistor.

Connect the junction of L1 & C19 to the center switch connection on the row for the video and the collector of Q1 to the center pin of the audio row.

If you have wired it correctly with the switch in one position audio and video will be routed to the TV connections and in the other position to the internal connections restoring original circuit connections/functionality.

Again this is an educated guess, you make the suggested modification at your won risk of damaging either the Pong unit or the TV but it looks like that should work.

You could disconnect the other end of L2 and make the video connections there instead of at the junction on L1 & C19 if that is easier and may possibly improve the video a little.

Edited by Stephen Moss