IGNORED

7800 Space Duel

PacManPlus

... and trust me, they look much better spinning. Wish I could make them higher than 16 scanlines without having to use a second sprite; the large 'rocks' look a little small.

For this one, I am keeping it at 160 4-color mode, because I need all of the colors.

post-1787-1184787744_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

Thanks guys :)

@Greg: I'm using different screen modes for both games, and with all of the extra graphics for SD (different 'rock' shapes, etc) it will have to stay a separate game. It's not like PMC where the gameplay and the graphics (for the most part) were the same; just the mazes (and some dynamics here and there) changed between each game.

@Lord Helmet, 8th Lutz, and Allan: Thanks! :party:

@Albert: Cool :) There are two aspects of the game that I'm not sure how I'm going to do yet - 1) That little 'x' which floats around the screen and takes about 12 shots to kill (and changes color each time you hit it), and 2) When the two enemy crafts create a 'wall of shots' between the two of them going across the screen. I think regarding 1) I may only have to abandon the color cycling thing that happens when you shoot one. The enemies are assigned to a specific pallette, and on the later screens where there could be 4 or 5 of them floating around, I don't think I can have separate colors for each of them - there aren't enough palettes.

Let's see what happens!

Bob

I think this turning into a nice collection with the 7800 getting the first arcade port of Space duel.

FYI.... Space Duel has already been ported to the Playstation edition of Atari Anniversary Edition years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Anniversary_Edition

-GAC-

Edited by GrandAmChandler

Another screen shot so far...

I found a cool way to do some of the graphics: I took screen shots of the arcade version, extracted the cubes and diamonds, and used a graphic program to reduce the resolution to 10x16 pixels (that's what the rocks use). Those are the actual reduced resolution graphics of the diamonds and rocks from the arcade version! :D (Again, I must stress, that they look much better in animation).

post-1787-1184901095_thumb.jpg

Always cool how each hack leads to something more ambitious down the raod.

I guess the 2600 (actually the Flashback 2) has a port of Space Duel as well, albeit a totally awful one.

I actually enjoy that game...I just wish they had fixed the screen rolling problem.

@PMP...this is looking really cool :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

PacManPlus-first Asteroids Deluxe and now Space Duel.

God bless you bro,you're the reason why Atari will always live on for many of us.

Thanks for such great devotion,you are one crafty guy.

Can't wait to buy these on cart.

:cool:

Edited by Angelus

Oh HELL YES!!XD I Love playing this game alot WAY WAY Back in the 80s in NYs arcade!

a78spaceduelfrontblackxt1.th.jpg a78spaceduelfrontredra1.th.jpg a78spaceduelendmj9.th.jpg

:love:

Excellent work again!

I've been doing some more research on this game, and there are quite a bit of little nuances, and I want to try to get it all in. This should be challanging ;)

I got some good information from Owen Ruben's own site:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/orubin/spaceduel.html

Bob

Excellent work again!

I've been doing some more research on this game, and there are quite a bit of little nuances, and I want to try to get it all in. This should be challanging ;)

I got some good information from Owen Ruben's own site:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/orubin/spaceduel.html

Bob

Funny timing. I've been working on a Flash version for Atari's website on and off for the past few months. And yes, all the rules can drive you crazy (they're not all documented by Owen, and he couldn't remember all of them).