IGNORED

Hear the Amy chip at last!

perry_m

• 7 years later...
21 hours ago, Tom Zimmerman said:

I was one of the 4 original AMY team members and wrote the 8051 code to control the AMY TTL prototype (500 chips!). The chip was way ahead of it's time. It was a wonderful group and experience.  ~Tom Zimmerman

Please tell us more...

21 hours ago, Tom Zimmerman said:

I was one of the 4 original AMY team members and wrote the 8051 code to control the AMY TTL prototype (500 chips!). The chip was way ahead of it's time. It was a wonderful group and experience.  ~Tom Zimmerman

I remember reading that Atari just could not get a reasonable yield from the chip fab.  They made two or three runs, IIRC and gave up.  Do you know anymore about this story?

23 hours ago, Tom Zimmerman said:

Hi Tom,

Please help me write an HDL Amy clone!

Mark

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tom Zimmerman said:

Welcome - heck of a cool first post!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2021 at 5:14 PM, Tom Zimmerman said:

Hello Tom,

I think you may be able to  get in contact with Hardie, maybe he can help you stroll down memory lane with all of the available materials. It would be great to hear all that might come from the stroll. Who knows what you might dig up as you review your own materials (if any). Eventually the core group of folks get down to business and great things come to light. We would love to hear your stories as well as what you've been up to.

-J

Would have made sense in the ST as first PC Soundcard had similar FM based type sounds 1987 onward via Adlib OPL2 (?) and a lot of arcade machines used FM based sound so it would have fit in well with the ST scene.

Even Commodore put out an OPL1(?) FM Sound Expander/Music Expansion System for the C64 and it cost a LOT of money compared to the price of a C64. Always wanted one, glad I never wasted an Xmas present on that thing lol