31 replies to this topic

#1 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 10,220 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2007 6:34 PM

http://www.chess-boa...ade-Machine.htm

And this time, they've got full color screens! Are these next-generation Coleco-style tabletops any good?

JR

#2 jboypacman OFFLINE  

jboypacman

Quadrunner

• 5,202 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007 4:09 PM

Intresting i wonder how they play?

#3 remowilliams OFFLINE  

remowilliams

Quadrunner

• 10,607 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007 5:05 PM

And this time, they've got full color screens! Are these next-generation Coleco-style tabletops any good?

I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but unless they completely remade them - this is what it actually looks like. This is the same company that has been beating that piece of shit Space Invaders LCD thing to death in 50 different products. There's another thread here at AA with that crap.

froglcd.jpg

#4 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,386 posts

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007 6:18 PM

http://www.chess-boa...ade-Machine.htm

JR

I don't think the graphics they show are real (I think it's an artist's conception):
frogger tabletop
I think they use the same graphics as their handheld:
frogger handheld
later,
Charles
www.evg2000.com

#5 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007 6:20 PM

Yeah its a real stinker. You could probably gut the case and put a Gameboy SP in there and have something pretty awesome then.

#6 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• Topic Starter
  • 10,220 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Sun Aug 5, 2007 7:38 PM

Aw, that's a shame! Yeah, at the very least, they could be used as part of a more ambitious project. I thought about taking an old LED handheld and transform it into a REAL mini-arcade, using a Game Boy Micro for the processor and display.

JR

#7 carmel_andrews OFFLINE  

carmel_andrews

Quadrunner

• 13,297 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2007 5:11 AM

What they should have done is to release a single device (like the above) and like the flashback and similar) put all the old classics in there (via an emulator) for play on that system

I'd love to see an emulation of the so-so popular tomytronic 3d handheld games of yesteryear on a pc...they weren't bad games

#8 Jess Ragan OFFLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• Topic Starter
  • 10,220 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2007 7:45 PM

What they should have done is to release a single device (like the above) and like the flashback and similar) put all the old classics in there (via an emulator) for play on that system

I'd love to see an emulation of the so-so popular tomytronic 3d handheld games of yesteryear on a pc...they weren't bad games

Oh, I can help you out with that!

http://www.handheld.....php?gamename=P
http://www.handheld.....php?gamename=T

You can download at least two simulated Tomytronic games just by following these links. Sadly, Scramble isn't on that list.

JR

#9 Snider-man OFFLINE  

Snider-man

Stargunner

• 1,987 posts
  • Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2007 8:11 PM

Yeah, I saw these on display/for sale at a Spencer Gifts a few months back (Frogger and Space Invaders) and they are pretty much ass. They only thing that's cool is that the Space Invaders one would look style-wise right at home with my collection of the REAL Coleco tabletops. Gameplay may suck, but at least the case and artwork would fit in.

#10 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 16,008 posts

Posted Tue Aug 7, 2007 8:23 PM

remowilliams pretty much hit it on the head.. the Space Invaders for example is the EXACT SAME GAME I bought in the mid 90's on a keychain. The same game has been put into so many shells over the past 10 years, and this is just the most recent.

Although, these things have been around for a while.. I think we talked about them here a couple of years ago. I'm surprised you only saw them now ;)

#11 pacgreg OFFLINE  

pacgreg

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:53 PM

I'd have to say, if you compare the excalibur frogger to coleco pac man,ms pac,donkey kong,or galaxian: its crap,
but if you compare it to coleco frogger, it's moderate; better graphics same gameplay.

#12 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,965 posts

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:21 PM

Resurrecting a 2-year-old thread before he's even made 10 posts?

Yeah, pacgreg is going to fit in here just fine.

#13 PingvinBlueJeans OFFLINE  

PingvinBlueJeans

River Patroller

• 4,357 posts
  • Eat It

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:25 PM

Heh. How the heck do people even find these random old threads, and why do they feel a need to respond to them?

#14 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 16,008 posts

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:10 PM

That's what's great about a message board. It's a different beast from something like IRC or chat because conversations never die! I don't see a problem responding to a question 2-6 years later. It's there for all to read anyway. :)

#15 HatNJ OFFLINE  

HatNJ

Stargunner

• 1,511 posts
  • When Im on Im on when Im off Im WAY off

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:54 PM

as long as the thread maybe as relevant today as way back when so what :)
nice to see some NOT all older posts pop up now and then I may have missed something good

#16 Murph74 OFFLINE  

Murph74

Stargunner

• 1,177 posts
  • Gotta get home to my ColecoVision!

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:03 PM

Since I missed this thread 2 years ago, I'll chime in now... :)

IMO, the ultimate in handheld/tabletops was a couple years back at arcadeathome.com I think was the site. They had amini-mame contest, and someone hacked up a Coleco tabletop, put a Casio Cassiopeia in it, and had a full color, playable portable mame unit. I've tried to find more info over the years to no avail, but it was one of the coolest things I've seen in the past 10 years! (see another old thread for more... the thread is what came up when I just googled the thing! lol http://www.atariage....howtopic=112324 )

#17 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,965 posts

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:28 PM

I don't see a problem responding to a question 2-6 years later.

Most questions asked on message boards are not of the variety that the original poster is likely to still be seeking an answer YEARS later. Odds are they won't even be reading that board anymore.

#18 Murph74 OFFLINE  

Murph74

Stargunner

• 1,177 posts
  • Gotta get home to my ColecoVision!

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:09 PM

I don't see a problem responding to a question 2-6 years later.

Most questions asked on message boards are not of the variety that the original poster is likely to still be seeking an answer YEARS later. Odds are they won't even be reading that board anymore.

So you're saying there's a chance?? :)

#19 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,431 posts

Posted Mon May 11, 2009 3:16 PM

A mini mame(ish) portable arcade looking arcade cab would be cool.

Those are unfortunately the same shitty LCD games that VGM has been releaseing repeatedly for the past ten years or so.

Pitty, I'd have loved to see proper remakes of the old coleco table top arcades, of course, they would have to remake the screens, as the originals were VFD....IIRC.

#20 TwinChargers OFFLINE  

TwinChargers

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Wed May 13, 2009 2:45 PM

Sears is still selling them to this day-

Excalibur Mini Arcade Cabinets

#21 brojamfootball OFFLINE  

brojamfootball

Dragonstomper

• 710 posts

Posted Wed May 13, 2009 3:14 PM

Sears is still selling them to this day-

Excalibur Mini Arcade Cabinets

For those who don't know, be forewarned: those Excalibur versions suck pretty bad. The Space Invaders wouldn't be so bad except that the playfield is two screens wide, so when you get all the way to the right, you are then transported to the left side of the second half of the playfield, invariably with an invader above you who kills you. I bought this game for $4 at a swap meet and am still unhappy with it, although it looks cool on my shelf.

The Frogger wouldn't be so bad except that for some unknown reason, the screen is reflected with a mirror which makes it hard to see, lots of glare, etc.

If I remember correctly, I think there are youtube videos of each of them for anyone who wants to see.

The old VFD games were much better. It's a shame, since the new Excalibur ones are a near-miss, but a miss just the same.

#22 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 16,008 posts

Posted Wed May 13, 2009 8:07 PM

On that note I've picked up some recent LCD games.. I haven't opened them up to try them but at least the Space Invaders looks like a NEW one. I also got a Crazy Climber one. There's also an Elevator Action LCD game that came out the same time as these.. I missed that one though :(

Posted Image

#23 Polybius OFFLINE  

Polybius

Moonsweeper

• 341 posts
  • Making Nightmares since 1981

Posted Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:49 PM

Back in 2003, they had mini keychain versions of Space Invaders and Super Breakout. what Happened to those?

oh, and it would be neat to have a portable or even keychain version of MAME.

#24 lucifershalo OFFLINE  

lucifershalo

River Patroller

• 3,052 posts

Posted Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:11 PM

Back in 2003, they had mini keychain versions of Space Invaders and Super Breakout. what Happened to those?

oh, and it would be neat to have a portable or even keychain version of MAME.

gp2x?

#25 evg2000 OFFLINE  

evg2000

Stargunner

• 1,386 posts

Posted Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:18 PM

On that note I've picked up some recent LCD games.. I haven't opened them up to try them but at least the Space Invaders looks like a NEW one. I also got a Crazy Climber one. There's also an Elevator Action LCD game that came out the same time as these.. I missed that one though :(

Here are some more of the pocketboy series of games, no elevator action listed though

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users