IGNORED

GP2X

nathanallan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A brief update. The promised GP2X did indeed turn up ... but the touch-screen didn't work.

The good news is that I've tried the NES, Master System and Megadrive emulators, ScummVM, PrBoom with Ultimate Doom and Doom II and a good selection of the better PD games and they're all fantastic. It's great having the whole collection at hand to play wherever you want. And Doom looks so cute on a hand-held. Awww ... 'ickle Cacodaemons ... <blam blam blam> ... I've yet to try the movie players and I had some trouble with Duke Nukem 3D. There're also the rest of the emulators and game interpreters to try, but I'm expecting much the same. The battery life is also much as expected: 4-5 hours of happy fun.

The bad news is that it had to go back fairly quickly with the knackered touch-screen. GP2X UK said they were sending it to Korea to be fixed and I'd have to wait up to a month for it to come back ... not exactly the best response to a customer reporting an out-of-box hardware fault. Worryingly enough, they mentioned they were sending a "batch" of units back for repair - have there really been that many problems with quality control on this round?

There's also the issue of the d-pad - it has separate buttons for each direction, which feel fairly solid and responsive but are a pain for doing Street Fighter-style fireball / dragon punch / etc. moves because your thumb gets caught on the edges of the buttons. It's also a little ... small? It feels like my wrists are forced in too far trying to match the button layout, which gets uncomfortable after a while. With, e.g. a Playstation pad, your wrists come in at an angle which is a lot more comfortable.

A final thing to mention is SD cards. Know this: Any SD card, rather than SD HC card, over 2GB does not meet official specifications and you can expect problems. For a start, your average cheap USB SD adapter will likely report the size correctly, but any attempts to read or write beyond 2GB will screw up - the reader may report the data is there, but it's lying. To address any SD or SD HC card of 4GB or more correctly requires a proper SD HC adapter. The GP2X F-200 (not the F-100 from reports) itself presents itself as an SD HC adapter over USB and so can deal with the cards correctly, but without the AC adapter you'll find even fresh batteries will go flat before you can transfer the full 4GB+ across. Writing to the SD card takes a lot more power than reading from it. If you have a 4GB or larger card, you will need either a proper SD HC USB adapter or the AC adapter.

I really don't want to slate the GP2X. I'm still greatly impressed with what it can do and how well it works. I want it back so's I can play Streets of Rage and ScummVM stuff like Sam and Max out and about. I thought I should give you an honest account of my experience, though. I'm annoyed how things have gone, but not put off entirely. If you can put up with its "little niggles" it's a fantastic little hand-held, but there are those known issues and the GP2X distributors aren't helping things.

If you decide to get one, seriously consider getting the following bits and pieces to go with it:

* A 4GB SD HC card (watch out for dodgy cheap copies)

* An SD HC card reader and/or the AC adapter

* At least four high-capacity NiMH AA batteries (2600mAh+)

* An NiMH battery charger (note that the cheaper ones are slow (up to 14 hours) and have no built in timer or auto-shut-off)

Also note that the basic GP2X cannot act as a USB Host (i.e. cannot use a USB mouse, keyboard or gamepad); that requires either a dubious mod or the GP2X Cradle.

QH.

Thanks for the update!

It would seem that you are not alone with your complaints about the d-pad. Why is something so simple so hard to get right? It's not like we haven't had oh, I don't know, 30 YEARS of different controller designs, and over 20 years of thumbpad designs alone to work from. The reason I haven't bought one of the older models was because of the thumbstick, now it looks like I might wait again, oh well..... :)

Thanks for the update

The bad news is that it had to go back fairly quickly with the knackered touch-screen. GP2X UK said they were sending it to Korea to be fixed and I'd have to wait up to a month for it to come back ... not exactly the best response to a customer reporting an out-of-box hardware fault. Worryingly enough, they mentioned they were sending a "batch" of units back for repair - have there really been that many problems with quality control on this round?

Thats really not acceptable, I would be demanding a new replacement straight away.

A real shame they still can't get the control right, I really want a replacement for my GP2X MK2, but I guess I will be waiting

Thanks for the update

Thats really not acceptable, I would be demanding a new replacement straight away.

A real shame they still can't get the control right, I really want a replacement for my GP2X MK2, but I guess I will be waiting

Someone should really create a 3rd party add-on that can sit on top of the GP2X to replace the crappy stick/d-pad. It shouldn't be required to use the USB breakout board to get decent controls. I guess the GP2X scene just isn't large enough to support much of an aftermarket.

Edited by mos6507

Thanks for the update

Someone should really create a 3rd party add-on that can sit on top of the GP2X to replace the crappy stick/d-pad. It shouldn't be required to use the USB breakout board to get decent controls. I guess the GP2X scene just isn't large enough to support much of an aftermarket.

I guess some have had success with these kits for the PSP. From what I understand, they use stuff like Funtak to stick it on over the buttons.

psp_button_kit.jpg

Edited by SRGilbert

Someone should really create a 3rd party add-on that can sit on top of the GP2X to replace the crappy stick/d-pad. [...]
I guess some have had success with these kits for the PSP. [...]

I'd have linked to something like that, but SRG seems to have beaten me to it. Aye, reports say that it works well. A nubbin is stuck in the middle of the d-pad to provide a pivot point and the cap sits on top, providing a single solid surface that presses the buttons underneath whilst allowing your thumb to slide across it smoothly. To be fair, the GP2X d-pad buttons themselves work fine, it's just that your thumb gets caught when sliding 'cos of the individual buttons.

We did ... and they pretty much said "Tough, there's none in stock. Here's your money back."; I have a replacement on order...

with the cradle atached say you wanted to have the GP2X act as the brains of your arcade cabinet, could you attach a external usb HD to it to store the roms?

!?! ... I suppose it would be a cheap machine to run a cabinet for anything pre-PSX ... and I think it'd be happy with the HDD as a Mass Storage Device, but specifically a USB HDD that can be interfaced using _only_ the standard USB Mass Storage Device class drivers. If it needs any special driver software it would need to be ported to the GP2X somehow, which would likely be difficult if not impossible. The GP2X wiki mentions connecting a USB HDD via the USB Host cable. The Cradle provides the same USB Host capabilities plus some other stuff, like the TV-Out you'd need for the cabinet. You might want to check whether you can find a cheap PC that can do the same for the same price or less, though.

with the cradle atached say you wanted to have the GP2X act as the brains of your arcade cabinet, could you attach a external usb HD to it to store the roms?

!?! ... I suppose it would be a cheap machine to run a cabinet for anything pre-PSX ... and I think it'd be happy with the HDD as a Mass Storage Device, but specifically a USB HDD that can be interfaced using _only_ the standard USB Mass Storage Device class drivers. If it needs any special driver software it would need to be ported to the GP2X somehow, which would likely be difficult if not impossible. The GP2X wiki mentions connecting a USB HDD via the USB Host cable. The Cradle provides the same USB Host capabilities plus some other stuff, like the TV-Out you'd need for the cabinet. You might want to check whether you can find a cheap PC that can do the same for the same price or less, though.

True, I do have a old pc kicking around (need to replace the motherboard).

I am rather keen on owning the gp2x, the ebook reader/internet browser/mp3 player/div-x player is good for the money.

Im not planning on doing any hardcore emulation (i would use a pc for neo-geo+ stuff) but for things like first/second/third gen it should be great.

I'm not sure if they have improved the TV out, but the MK 2 outputted a really wired resolution, which I could not get used to.

Bits of the image were cut off, strange stretching etc

Ahh now that is somthing i noticed in the pac man video on youtube, that would be a pain if it started doing weird things like streaching the screen to fit the display.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an older, F-100 Mk1 which I've had since shortly after the system was released, and I love it to death. It's so much easier than screwing around with getting my NES to work properly, or set up my 600XL with disk drives and junk.

I'm amazed people make such a stink about the stick on it. It's certainly not the BEST control I've seen, but it works well enough in my opinion. I certainly find it far easier to play CPS2 fighters on it than on the PSP (I was really looking forward to getting Darkstalkers Chronicles on the PSP, but I can hardly pull off any of the moves with that D-pad).

Anyways, just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in.

--Zero

The new GP2X has finally arrived and works great. I'll put up some details about how the touch screen works later - when I manage to prize it out of the grasp of a lass obsessed with BoomShine. :) (And she stole my high scores! :()

Weren't there utilities to tweak the TV output for otherwise broken games...? I can't find one at the minute, but thought I remembered seeing one in the file archive at some point.

The new GP2X has finally arrived and works great. I'll put up some details about how the touch screen works later - when I manage to prize it out of the grasp of a lass obsessed with BoomShine. :) (And she stole my high scores! :()

Weren't there utilities to tweak the TV output for otherwise broken games...? I can't find one at the minute, but thought I remembered seeing one in the file archive at some point.

Well if there is, then I stand corrected, I never knew about it.

Please post a review soon, I think I may be tempted, I am growing bored of my DS :D

I believe that the new firmware 4.0.0 did add SDHC support
4.0.0? they're up to that already? I don't think I've touched mine since 2.0.x... Not that I've had any reason to, the darn thing doesn't even play movies right...

Firmware v4.0.0 is the "F-200" firmware; it takes into account the touch screen and other minor hardware tweaks, including the SDHC support. It is not intended for the F-100 and will not work with it. Similarly, pre-v4.0.0 firmware will not work with the F-200. So far as I knew (could be wrong...?) SDHC needs slightly different hardware to "vanilla" SD. The F-100's don't have the hardware and so can't support SDHC, nor are they likely to. The new F-200's support SDHC and also provide an interface over USB to it as a standard disk device, making accessing the SD(HC) card and moving files over easier.

For the F-100's there's a v3.0 firmware, though opinions on it seem split (slower boot time by a few seconds, some other issues...?) and upgrading can be difficult.

The Pandora looks interesting, but won't be out for a while and software / emulators will take a while after that. In the meantime, there's the F-200.

Think I will just wait for the Pandora to get released

Pandora looks terrible. Why on earth have they gone for a design that looks like a cheap toy? You cannot put the controls in the middle of the keyboard. The design should be playable like the PSP (controls on both sides of the screen) and have a folded keyboard that opens like a Nokia E90.

--

Karri

4.0.0? they're up to that already? I don't think I've touched mine since 2.0.x... Not that I've had any reason to, the darn thing doesn't even play movies right...

That's only for the new GP2X, unfortunately.

It plays the low to medium bitrate DIVX files I pick up online which is the majority of my stuff. It's great not having to transcode to a lower resolution the way most media players require.