IGNORED

TT keyboard - how to repair/replace dead keys?

TT or MegaSTE keyboards are not sealed, but if a key is actually bad, the entire mylar surface generally has to be replaced. You cannot just pop a key off and replace it since the mechanism doesn't work that way. You can disassemble the unit and try cleaning the contact or testing the mylar trace for continuity, but it is hard to reliably repair. I have attempted this with a conductive pen or by weaving metal threads in and out of the failed traces, but it didn't last. Please note that if you decide to open the keyboard, there will be many, many tiny screws to remove, and be careful when finally opening it, since the individual clear rubber key contacts tend to fall out and disappear somewhere.

Best Electronics probably has replacement keyboard mylars in stock.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

Good luck!

nah this is the later TT/MEGA STE keyboard basically i have taken out the actual keyboard and underneath are no screws just loads of black "push back" clips! which i dunno how i'm mean't to hold back about 20 of them at the same time!

then a metal plate will come off and expose the circuit board

the rubber spring part is under the bey not inside the keybaord like the standard ST/STE

could take a pic?

I do recall this kind. It is necessary to basically start to release the keyboard by opening each of these clips, probably while lifting the plate from one side. It should still have a mylar surface, but I would have to open one to be sure. Anyone opened one of these recently?

This is the kind of thing that was designed to be assembled once and for all. You can open it with some work.

Best