IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 11 *Galaxian*

Atari5200

I guess I'll try to pressure some of you to do a bit better.

post-10286-1188794834_thumb.jpg

13900 is my highest score for tonight. Played with the Wico stick auto-centering.

The other night I didn't go to that party, was more of a huge cookout that was more than an hour away and there wasn't going to be any gaming. So instead I went hunting for some games, records and hung out with some buds drinking beer, watching some HD movies and going out to eat at Friday's.

i find galaxian to be "cheap at times" when all those aliens hang in the air and crowd the screen while moving really slow, it's really annoying.

while i scored over 21,000 using stock 5200 controllers, this game frustrates me because there are some impossible situations to avoid (having a wave of attacks on your ship with nonstop fire)..

the other thing is i remember scoring over 30 G as a kid. i guess a aint as good as before :-)

Since we're still waiting on my score to get beat, I decided to go fix up my *good* stock controller's fire buttons and give it a go. The nice thing about the stocks is that you can really take advantage of the speed control in the game. I found no problems with using them at all. I also tried with the trackball, but that is definitely NOT the way to play. Anyway, the result is pretty much the same, I get my ass handed to me on the tenth wave. On the one shown below, I had two ships left going into it and was done in about 10 seconds!

-Brian

post-8282-1189074568_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they can do some crazy stuff. One of them went off the screen for about 3 seconds and came back in at my altitude and flew right into me. What the hell? That was so cheap but oh well. I do need to fix my stock controller because it is a bit difficult at times on the Wico controller, though it is smooth.

My current strategy is swinging from one side of the screen to the other when they come in clusters so they unload all of their fire on the opposite end of the screen. It sometimes won't work because a few will hold back until you're cornered then fire and swoop down on you. Anyone have a better method?