IGNORED

Atari Computing Magazine - Argus Press Software

spookt

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has any info about Atari Computing Magazine. It was a tape based magazine here in the UK published by Argus Press Software (APS). I have a couple of the tapes and remember it well from the time but I haven't found any more mention of it.

The tape was the magazine, containing editorials, reviews and programs and you 'read' it on your Atari. Back then I'm sure it was around five pounds an issue, which for me was a lot of money (I was about 10 years old !!!) so I only ever managed to get a couple of issues. I'd really like to get my hands on others be it as real tapes, .cas images or even .wav files.

Also any more info, how many issues etc. I did see a 400 bundled with a number of these tapes on ebay earlier in the month but I didn't really want to shell out for another 400 just to get the tapes :( Now I think about it I should have and then just put the 400 back up there :( Ah well ...

Cheers

Paul

• 3 years later...

I have a number of these, working on converting them is taking longer than i thought due to a move.. but i will get some up soon...

I noticed this post and thought it was worth a post, I wonder if you ever got round to converting them , I have been hunting hi and low for some digital form of these tapes.

I have issues 1,2,3 and side A of issue 4 as .cas images. I'm going to submit them to AtariMania. I have a number of other issues which I'm working on too. See my sig for issues needed. If anyone has issue 4 side b I'd be grateful. It looks like my tape is corrupt.

EDIT: orpheuswaking - perhaps if you let me know which issues you have we can avoid duplication? Failing that if you want to sell or trade the tapes I'd be interested ;)

Edited by spookt

By coincidence yesterday I found my notes on the disks (of the tapes) I sent you - roughly detailing which file name was which program. Let me know if you want me to type it up and send it you you. Looking forward to playing the other games as they seem to be pretty decent efforts, maybe you'd put a disk together with them all on :?: :)

Thanks for the replies Guys, This is literary the last thing I have yet to see from my youth in the modern day.

Hope one of you uploads it somewhere soon. I recall a really average game called OK Corral on one of the issues. It was poor game but you know how it is with these things it seems to mean a lot to me. ;) , Will keep an eye out.

By coincidence yesterday I found my notes on the disks (of the tapes) I sent you - roughly detailing which file name was which program. Let me know if you want me to type it up and send it you you. Looking forward to playing the other games as they seem to be pretty decent efforts, maybe you'd put a disk together with them all on :?: :)

Yeah - I was thinking of making an ATR compilation of the games.

Atari Computing 1

Atari Computing 2

Atari Computing 3

Atari Computing 4

Atari Computing 5

Atari Computing 6

Atari Computing 7

Atari Computing 8

Atari Computing 9

Atari Computing 11

These are the tapes I have in my inventory currently.

Well if you fancy selling them let me know, otherwise a dump of issue 4 side b (and the missing issues in my sig) would be awesome :)

Does anyone know if the mag survived beyond issue 11?

If anyone else has any of the tapes I'd be interested in picking them up.

Edited by spookt

I'm not sure if I have a dupe of number 10 bit if I do it's yours for shipping.

I'm using kr0tki's a8cas software (http://a8cas.sourceforge.net/). You capture the tape as a wave file and then run it through the software to produce a .cas image. Sometimes a little trial and error is required but Kr0tki's software is a big improvement over the old wav2cas.

Edited by spookt

Good to know, I've been using WAV2CAS up until now... I haven't loaded one of those tapes for awhile, if I recall they are just separate programs spaced out across the tape... Are you doing the whole tape to create a .CAS image or are you doing each one individually?

Good to know, I've been using WAV2CAS up until now... I haven't loaded one of those tapes for awhile, if I recall they are just separate programs spaced out across the tape... Are you doing the whole tape to create a .CAS image or are you doing each one individually?

I'm doing the whole tape as a .wav file so you end up with 1 .cas file for each side of the tape. One or two of the games I've found on the AC tapes have data after the main program so I don't think it would be so easy to do each separately.

Got ya... Good to know...

Is there a simple way to convert to an .ATR after it's done?

Interesting question. I've been concentrating in preserving them in cas format since the magazine was a linear experience, i.e. load each part from tape in turn. The easiest way I guess would be to save each program to a formatted ATR image as they loaded. This would of course break the load next segment option and would be tricky for the one or two M/C or multi load items.

I hadn't really got that far yet !

• 3 weeks later...