IGNORED

Atari 'Touch me'

chubsta

Dont know too much about these but have just picked one up off eBay UK for £8, which although its not boxed seems like a good price as it is in excellent condition.

I was wondering how common they are - Im not a reseller or anything but like to know whether it should be at the back or front of the display shelf!!

I have one, complete with battery latch (I bought it from somebody here on AA, in fact). It's still a fun little game; my four-year-old niece likes to play it whenever she comes to visit.

I tried a modification on mine that didn't work out quite as well as I hoped: I replaced the four red LEDs in each of the colored squares on the front with LEDs that corresponded to the colors (red, green, yellow, and blue). The only color that didn't really work was blue; modern blue LEDs are transparent and very bright, so it's hard to find a diffused blue LED of the same brightness as the others.

But anyway ... I say it belongs right out in front of your collection where its 1970s looks can really stand out.

If memory recalls, the handheld version of 'touch me' followed on from a similar game put out by MB games called 'Simon', which itself was based on Atari's coin op version of 'Touch me'

They had an arcade version of it? Learn something new everyday ;)

Front! Bright yellow and Atari are unique! Do you have the battery cover??

Rob

yeah, battery cover is there - apart from tiny mark on the screen and the tiniest scratch on the red plate is is perfect - even inside the battery casing is as new!

I know just about everything Atari-related is listed as 'RARE!!!111!!!' on ebay.co.uk but i actually think this is - havent seen any before so will be interesting to see how long it is befor any more come along...

The story is pretty neat:

Nolan "took" the idea of Pong from Ralph Baer's Odyssey system. That part is documented. Lawsuits settled, etc. and then Ralph "took" the Touch Me idea into what MB would release as Simon.

Interesting how two folks got fame for the "other design" and not their own.

There was indeed an arcade Touch Me. The handheld is modeled after it.

http://klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=12694

Cassidy

I remember Samantha Fox is had some hits when i was a younger man and i had a few of her pics under my bed for viewing,lol. :)

oh how apropriate

lol << prolly never hear this from a guy but i don't have anything like that :D :D

Yes im just that cool lol. ( ok enough about me)

I seen this game once in a game shop when i travld down to the US

i wonder though, that arcade machine mentioned up there, i wonder if theres any to exist like

that would be for sale, that be cool.

Edited by VintageGameCollectorKid

that arcade machine mentioned up there, i wonder if theres any to exist like

that would be for sale, that be cool.

Philly Classic 5 had one, Videotopia's Jeff brought it IIRC. Pretty neat machine, hard to find from what I have heard. The non-video nature made it prime "smashin" when it broke. Very few non-vids survived (try to find a Nutting Computer Quiz!).

C

So Ralph kind of got his revenge on Nolan...ralph stole the idea for a 'potted' touch me and sold it of to MB... Just as Nolan stole ralphs 'tele-tennis' idea and created an industry

So, you could say that touch me (and tank/breakout) where the only original games the old atari ever did....computer space is Steve Russells 'Space war' with graphics

Perhaps namco/bandai might want to half inch Atari's cosmos idea...seeming as thoough they've recently hired one half of the original design team (roger hector)

Anyone here familiar enough with Goo Gone to know if it will remove the printing from the top of a Touch Me unit?

I got mine today. It had some junk on it. Tried some glass cleaner at first, which didn't do much. Then used Goo Gone and all the junk was gone in an instant - did a really good job. And although there's a blotch under the fuji logo it would probably remove in an instant, I'm afraid it will remove the logo, too. Or maybe it won't. Anyone know for sure?

I can answer my own question - Goo Gone won't remove the lettering at the top front of the unit. It does a great job of cleaning up a Touch Me.

But... and I may feel stupid for having to ask this... does anyone have the instructions for game #2? I can't figure out what you're supposed to do.

I can answer my own question - Goo Gone won't remove the lettering at the top front of the unit. It does a great job of cleaning up a Touch Me.

But... and I may feel stupid for having to ask this... does anyone have the instructions for game #2? I can't figure out what you're supposed to do.

Got another question... hope someone can answer...

Anyone know how the Touch Me works? Is it supposed to be totally random, or is it programmed with a certain set of patterns?

And, does this indicate a problem - I played several games last night and today, and every game starts with the yellow or green lights. Eventually every light will be used in a game, but in many, the first few moves will be green and yellow only. Seems odd to me. Not sure what could "go bad" to cause such a thing.

the coin op version of 'touch me' wasn't that successful...

Didn't Samantha Fox write a song about it :D

I truly doubt that our American cousins even know who she is. They aren't missing a great deal ;)

Who Samantha Fox? Had a Girlfriend 20 years ago that could have been her twin. Last i seen her she was still making rique Videos with her top off. Smantha, not the ex sadly enough. :(