IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 70: Frogger

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Leapin' Frogger! Home may look like it's only a hop, skip, and a jump away, but looks can be deceiving. First, there's a dangerous highway to hop across, full of fast-moving cars and trucks. Then there's a swirling river to leap, full of frog-eating creatures. How's Frogger going to get home safely? By letting you hop him on his way. Guide Frogger safely through this perilous journey, and you'll jump for joy!

This will be the last week of Season 4 by the way.

Game Information

• Game Name: Frogger
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: A / Expert - Frogger dies when carried off screen
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: BSA Starfire

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, Sept 6th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 4204 (Deteacher) [+11]
  2. 4028 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 3707 (godzillajoe) [+9]
  4. 3448 (Captain Beard) [+8]
  5. 3399 (homerwannabee) [+7]
  6. 2938 (BSA Starfire's girlfriend) [+6]
  7. 2702 (Recycled) [+5]
  8. 1762 (Goochman) [+4]
  9. 1667 (SpiceWare) [+3]
  10. 1591 (toymailman) [+2]
  11. 1488 (Nathan Strum) [+1]
  12. 1393 (midnight magician) [+1]
  13. 810 (Artlover) [+1]
  14. 809 (Blackjack) [+1]
  15. 792 (Nognir) [+1]
  16. 790 (Impaler_26) [+1]

Best Tips

• godzillajoe [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  • 31,070 (Dan Mowczan)
  • 20,699 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
  • 12,569 (Stephen Knox)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Rom Hunter [587]
  2. Deteacher [475]
  3. SpiceWare [472]
  4. Nathan Strum [275]
  5. LarcenTyler [235]
  6. rheffera [221]
  7. vdub_bobby [185]
  8. keilbaca [175]
  9. johnnywc [167]
  10. Goochman [166]
  11. toymailman [131]
  12. Captain Beard [123]
  13. scogey [122]
  14. The MindMaster [115]
  15. the 5th ghost [111]
  16. Cybergoth [94]
  17. shadow460 [92]
  18. Recycled [88]
  19. atari2600land [88]
  20. JacobZu7zu7 [80]
  21. BrianC [78]
  22. Christophero Sly [74]
  23. shawnb [71]
  24. Malc74 [67]
  25. Zoyx [66]
  26. godzillajoe [62]
  27. theKLT [59]
  28. Nognir [40]
  29. SeaGtGruff [36]
  30. Crazy Climber [36]
  31. RaRoss [35]
  32. Impaler_26 [35]
  33. doctorclu [35]
  34. 128bytes [34]
  35. ewing92 [32]
  36. Jred [26]
  • RJ [24]
  • phaxda [21]
  • keitaro [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [17]
  • Krytol [17]
  • mojofltr [17]
  • Mindcircus [16]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • LS_Dracon [13]
  • JimboGames [12]
  • rjchamp3 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Shannon [11]
  • midnight magicman [11]
  • Omegamatrix [10]
  • accousticguitar [10]
  • jonfin826 [10]
  • MickG [9]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • Zeptari1 [7]
  • gospeedde [7]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • Shroo-man [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • GamerInThailand [5]
  • codyr783 [5]
  • fire!fire! [5]
  • madbutscher [4]
  • oldric [3]
  • Biter [2]
  • mightymage [2]
  • aofl [2]
  • D. Yancey [2]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]

Scoring Points in Frogger

• Successfully jumping Frogger forward - 1 point
  • Successfully jumping Frogger home - 5 points
  • Successfully jumping 5 frogs home - 100 points
  • Taking a lady frog home - 20 points
  • Eating a fly - 20 points
  • Extra points for time left - 2 points per remaining second
  • Every time you score 1,000 points and have fewer than 4 frogs left, you'll get another Frogger

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available, though it doesn't contain any specific hints.
On the advanced levels, don't waste your time trying to get the lady frog, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to get your frog into the leftmost cave. You'll need those extra seconds when you're trying to work the timing down to get him home.

Here's a tip that will hopefully help with that leftmost cave:

Take a few seconds at the beginning of a new stage to see which turtle you need to be on to get in that leftmost cave. It'll be the same one throughout the entire stage. Then, when you're finally ready to tackle that cave, you won't waste precious time jumping back and forth. Sometimes it might require that "leap of faith" so to speak, but trust that the log will be there. :)

The snakes and crocs can't hurt you unless you land on their mouths so don''t be afraid to jump on their backs

The croc in the home bays can only eat you when fully visible so go ahead and jump into it's partially visible jaws if you need to

Learn to time the cars so you can quickly double or triple jump through small openings or run with them sideways until you get to an opening.

Forget about the lady frog and the flies and get that froggie into the first "home" right away, it takes all the pressure off. Then you can screw around a bit and go for points without panicing to get him in there with no open bays as a plan b and time running out

Watch the snake on the log and only ride that log when he's off, it's clear every second pass, you don't wanna get stuck on it if some turtles you were hoping to catch suddenly submerge

Follow deteatcher's advice! :D

It takes two seconds to size up the situation. "OK blue turtles on their way down, croc's back" or "blue turtles coming up, use the log" etc.

My tip: Screw the lady and the bug - go for speed. As you can see, my score increased by over 1000 points once I stopped dicking around waiting for other bonuses.

--Zero

My big tip: On the advanced levels, don't waste your time trying to get the lady frog, ESPECIALLY if you're trying to get your frog into the leftmost cave. You'll need those extra seconds when you're trying to work the timing down to get him home.

"Go, froggy go!

You gotta keep on hoppin' 'till you get to the top.

Go, froggy go!

You gotta' keep on hoppin', you can never stop.

Go! Go froggy go!"

:)

post-9712-1188569997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher

OK, I played this for several hours today and I swear, there are some games where it is simply impossible to get into the furthest left base on some levels. I'm not talking about it being a tight squeeze, I'm talking absolutely impossible. Sometimes, the only way the timing works out is to be on a row of diving turtles, but about once in every four games, I hit a level where no matter how many times you ride around, the turtles are always underwater when they hit the far left. Am I just making excuses here or has anyone else had this problem?

OK, I played this for several hours today and I swear, there are some games where it is simply impossible to get into the furthest left base on some levels. I'm not talking about it being a tight squeeze, I'm talking absolutely impossible. Sometimes, the only way the timing works out is to be on a row of diving turtles, but about once in every four games, I hit a level where no matter how many times you ride around, the turtles are always underwater when they hit the far left. Am I just making excuses here or has anyone else had this problem?

Is it on a particular level every time?

Howdy! Thought I'd rejoin things after more than 2 years absence.

First couple..... 809

Hmmm.... can't just upload screenie? Gotta upload it to webspace and then point to it?

I'll wait 'til I get a respectable score :)

You can upload a screenshot. Click browse then upload then click on manage current attachments and the green icon to add it to the post

2495 so far

CB,

I haven't seen your problem yet but there ARE boards (like the first snake on the log one) where it is ridiculously tight.

I mean you gotta ride to almost the exact edge of the screen and then jump though you don't see a log there but it will catch you right on the edge of the one that's coming from the other side and then jump AGAIN immediately to get into the first bay.

Some obvious tips:

The snakes and crocs can't hurt you unless you land on their mouths so don''t be afraid to jump on their backs

The croc in the home bays can only eat you when fully visible so go ahead and jump into it's partially visible jaws if you need to

Learn to time the cars so you can quickly double or triple jump through small openings or run with them sideways until you get to an opening.

4,204! Here's a tip that will hopefully help with that leftmost cave:

Take a few seconds at the beginning of a new stage to see which turtle you need to be on to get in that leftmost cave. It'll be the same one throughout the entire stage. Then, when you're finally ready to tackle that cave, you won't waste precious time jumping back and forth. Sometimes it might require that "leap of faith" so to speak, but trust that the log will be there. :)

post-9712-1188765478_thumb.jpg