IGNORED

*.cas to *.xex or *.com ?

walter_J64bit

Hi!

I don't know any program for cas->xex conversion. The only way is manual conversion.

And what's your problem? Do you need to convert just one cas or a lot of files?

F.

I'm looking to make The last V8 to a .xex file I have the .cas file.

OK. Send me cas file and I'll convert it for you though I think there is a lot of file versions of The Last V8 floating aroud...

F.

Hi!

I don't know any program for cas->xex conversion. The only way is manual conversion.

And what's your problem? Do you need to convert just one cas or a lot of files?

F.

I'm looking to make The last V8 to a .xex file I have the .cas file.

OK. Send me cas file and I'll convert it for you though I think there is a lot of file versions of The Last V8 floating aroud...

F.

Cool Thanks! Is there any chance you fix the the timer so it can run right on a NTSC Atari too?

Last_V8__The_.zip

Cool Thanks! Is there any chance you fix the the timer so it can run right on a NTSC Atari too?

Wha't the problem with timer? Is it running too fast?

F.

Yup, It does runs way too fast. I know the game was made by Mastertronic "UK's English Software" but I don't think had any NSTC system to test their work with Elektra Glide has the same bug too. ;)

• Like 1

F.

Yup, It does runs way too fast. I know the game was made by Mastertronic "UK's English Software" but I don't think had any NSTC system to test their work with Elektra Glide has the same bug too. ;)

OK. See the attachment for file version of your "cas" file fixed for use with NTSC machine.

F.

The_Last_V8_NTSC.zip

• Like 2

F.

OK. See the attachment for file version of your "cas" file fixed for use with NTSC machine.

F.

WOW, that was fast Thanks!

• 14 years later...

cas files are typically:

a) a single file

b) a short loader followed by the game file

c) a loader and then multiple parts

For a) this is the most simplest at the cassette version will have a header and that could be changed to an XEX header and run address.

However, as tapes don't need a DOS they typically load over the area where a DOS would reside in memory, and also many were targeted at 16K machines and so can't load above that.

So to make an XEX that will load from a DOS the file is typically loaded higher in memory and then an extra code routine added to move that into position and then transfer control to it.

For b) this can depend on what the loader does. Generally it will control where the data is loaded to and so needs to be examined so that the values can be used as per a) to make the right headers.

This way things like simple new display lists to show a 'Loading...' title can be kept but is often important too because a game will sometimes utilise some code loaded within the loader and so these can't be left out.

Another problem you can come across is that the game code/data is encrypted, typically using a morphing XOR pattern and this is handled by loader, e.g. loads a block and then XORs the memory.

So a new loader either needs to do the same, which is possible if loading direct from disk sectors, but for an XEX it is better to use the cassette version to load everything into memory and then just dump out the decoded data.

For c) similar to b) but just that the loader will usually use a data table to know the addresses and lengths of the blocks to be loaded.

One thing that is common here too for larger titles that utilise the memory under the operating system is to first load the block to normal memory, switch off the O/S, copy the block, turn the O/S back on, continue loading.