IGNORED

Incredible 8-bit demos

Gunstar

If you hang out in this section, chances are that you've seen plenty of incredible 8-bit graphic/music demos, but I just wanted to recommend a couple that I think are outstanding. They are done by a team that calls themselves "Satantronic." While the name is just dumb, and actually something childish and immature like one would expect a juvenile to come up with, they do have incredible demos. my favorite is one called "Te. MOD." This demo plays a fantastic rendition of the "Terminator" movie soundtracks while showing some outstanding graphics, many of which you might think would only be possible on something 32-bit+! While some of the graphics are merely "cool" and are right in line with good 8-bit graphics, the parts that I was AMAZED with are what I refer to as the "plasma" graphics, they show up about mid-way through the demo. If you want to see just what our little 'ol 8-bits are really capable of, both musically and graphically, you owe it to yourself to download these and check them out. On an NTSC 8-bit, there is a bit of jumping caused by the the music beat that is probably played during DLI's, but it is still very watchable and cool. Download and check out "Te. MOD" first, it's the best. But all are good.

http://www.napri.sk/web/satantronic/Home.htm

Wow, I just ran that demo on Atari800Win Plus 3.0 and it's awesome! When I have some time later I'll need to run the rest of their demos. You're right about the plasma effects, they were the coolest part of the demo. Please keep pointing out any such demos you run across in the future!

I need to setup an Atari 8-bit in here connected to my PC so I can easily run these demos on the real thing. While the Atari800Win emulation is excellent when running these demos full-screen, I'd really like to experience them on the real hardware. :)

..Al

oh...come on... these are from 1996....

the plasma has just 16 colors...or shades... check out Fox's drunken chessboard f.e.

there are many good productions:

search for productions like

shadows (trip6, asskicker)

slight (overmind)

hard (joyride)

bit busters

aids

taquart (of course... ;))

and many more...

a good start is:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~sgl/atari/

you can download most of the stuff from there...

download the menu.atr and the megaimages...

mount menu.atr as diskdrive1

mount megaimages in drive2

boot atari800win... press shift to load the directory from the megaimage...

mostly all new productions (from 1996 onwards) need >=128k so best to run them in atari800win with 320kb (rambo)

cheers, hve

oh...come on... these are from 1996....  

the plasma has just 16 colors...or shades... check out Fox's drunken chessboard f.e.

there are many good productions:...

I'm sure there are a TON of great demos out there that I haven't seen and maybe even newer ones, but it's not about the color depth here; it's about the PLASMA EFFECTS. You can look at them like a 3D picture and see depth to them and different levels of scrolling, ect. It may be an illusion and not true parrallax scrolling, but it still looks good AND 3D. Plus, I really like the Terminator music on it and think it sounds a lot more like the original soundtrack than many other such attempts (with any famous song).

With a computer this old, I don't think it really matters how recent the demo is as far as something like '96 or '00 or whatever, the limits of this machine have been pushed in many different ways over the years and by now I think it's more of just another different example of what the computer can do than it is of someone actually figuring out how to push it's limits further. Anyone disagree?