IGNORED

Broken ST monitor

My monitor has suddenly broken. All it produces is a line across the middle of the screen. The line does show colours when the monitor normally would, but aside from that, all I get is black :(

I know the problem isn't in the vertical sizing of the screen, as I haven't been able to reach that knob (located as annoyingly as it is). In fact, the plastic screw to change the setting is bent away from the hole through which it is supposed to be accessed. :ponder:

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

The vertical control is obviously gone, could be the voltage transformer that fails to deliver the correct voltage for it. So that the monitor is drawing the entire picture on just one scanline. But it could also be something else associated with vertical control. Sorry, I am not really a electronics wiz. Even though I studied it for 2 years, I didn't find it a very amusing subject :D

But you could try and check the different legs of the transformer to see what voltages it delivers (NOO not with your fingers :D). Unfortunately I don't know where you can get hold of a schematic of the monitor in question. But I am sure it's available somewhere on the web.

My monitor has suddenly broken. All it produces is a line across the middle of the screen. The line does show colours when the monitor normally would, but aside from that, all I get is black :(

I know the problem isn't in the vertical sizing of the screen, as I haven't been able to reach that knob (located as annoyingly as it is). In fact, the plastic screw to change the setting is bent away from the hole through which it is supposed to be accessed.  :ponder:  

Anyone have any ideas?

If the vertical control is still attached and intacted to the PCB inside the monitor then the first thing I would suspect is the vertical output transistor. If the transistor is good, then a shorted out electrolytic capacitor would be the next likely problem.

• 1 month later...

we had this problem on our home TV..I think another possibility has been overlooked. It could possibly be a dry join on the circuitry that controls the vertical position. check for dry solder joints and re-solder them.. You may be able to take it to a TV repair shop and get it done for around £40 if thats the case.

good luck