IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 3: Bowling

Ze_ro

And am definitely not playing using the bullshit method of lining up your guy at the exact spot every time and hoping for the best

Would rather not play at all

What, exactly, is wrong with that? That's basically what you do in real bowling. Besides, it's a totally random outcome, so I don't see what difference it really makes.

Because you're not "playing" anything.

In 7800 Commando there are spots behind the walls that you can stand behind and just shoot left all day getting 200 points for every poor sap that wanders by.

I mashed down one of the buttons on my controller and left it running over the weekend for fun.

70,000,000 points

Does that mean I'm really good at Commando?

If you just line up at the exact same spot in Bowling and hope for randomness to give you a higher score than the next guy who is doing the same thing, it's boring, stupid and pointless.

How does that make one player better than the other?

Not a good choice for HSC IMO

And am definitely not playing using the bullshit method of lining up your guy at the exact spot every time and hoping for the best

What, exactly, is wrong with that? That's basically what you do in real bowling. Besides, it's a totally random outcome, so I don't see what difference it really makes.

Not at all. In real bowling, one's skill does directly play into the outcome. You put spin on the ball, make it curve, control power. You don't just line up a chute with a ball loaded that always goes perfectly straight at the same speed and power. You don't even have to stand in front of the pins in real bowling, you can be all the way to one side of the lane or other, and curve it in. More proof, new bowlers suck, and get better with practice, as their skill improves.

There is no skill invovled in games 5 & 6 at all. Just the results of a random number generator. It's not how real bowling works. Might as well throw our names into a hat and let Ze_ro pick one blindfolded.

Thats why I suggest playing game 1 where you can add curve to the ball. Atleast that gives the player some degree of actual control, simmilar to how real bowling works.

Because you're not "playing" anything.

In 7800 Commando there are spots behind the walls that you can stand behind and just shoot left all day getting 200 points for every poor sap that wanders by.

I mashed down one of the buttons on my controller and left it running over the weekend for fun.

70,000,000 points

Does that mean I'm really good at Commando?

If you just line up at the exact same spot in Bowling and hope for randomness to give you a higher score than the next guy who is doing the same thing, it's boring, stupid and pointless.

How does that make one player better than the other?

Not a good choice for HSC IMO

If we were playing the variation that allows you to hook the ball, I guarantee that people would still be lining up their shots. And they'd also be hooking the ball when it reached a specific location on the lane. But what's more, the pin action would still be random. On average, the scoring would probably be higher in the hook game, but fundamentally there is no difference because the pin action is still random.

Had one missed spare, too.

Play the games enough times, you'll eventually stumble onto a few strikes. The most I had apart from this game was four.

post-2641-1190893156_thumb.jpg

Here's my tip: Find the spot you can throw strikes from. Roll the ball. If you don't get a strike in the first frame, start over until you do. That way you'll be sure to get at least one strike in a game.

Yes, it's cheap. But at this point, this isn't so much of a game, as a test of how much self-punishment you can endure.

My first score: 175

There is a tiny bit of skill in this game, I think. Because it's basically a random number generator, the pins can pick a different formation after being struck once. The skill part is whether you can line up the shot right and pick up the spare.

post-9475-1190898574_thumb.jpg

Edited by atari2600land

There is a tiny bit of skill in this game, I think. Because it's basically a random number generator, the pins can pick a different formation after being struck once. The skill part is whether you can line up the shot right and pick up the spare.

Well put, Atari2600land. :)

I've found, using my method, one of 3 scenarios will occur after my first throw:

a. I'll get a strike.

b. I'll be left with the 4 and 7 pin (this one happens most often for me.)

c. I'll be left with the 3, 6 and 10 pin.

Scenario "c" gives me the most trouble. That's why I gave the tip about using your feet to line up your spare shot. To agree with Atari2600land, yes, there is some skill to the game...albeit not much, but there is a little skill. :)

Picking up the spares is the hard part.......and does take a degree of skill. I myself have a hard time picking up a spare with 3 or 4 pins still standing.

Personaly, I find picking up spares is quite easy, even 3 pins. Only time I miss is if I'm just totaly not paying any attention. The thing about the randomness is it still follows somewhat the rules of physics and any left over pins are going to be in next to each other (unless you horribly misplace your player to beging with). So picking up a spare is no differnet then the initial shot, it's about position, and under game 5/6, the only skill invovled there is beable able to count.

While changing the game to #1 adds a little more skill, it's not really adding that much more. It's a matter of bowling from the very bottom of the screen and hitting up between the third fourth "brum" as the ball moves down the lane. If you don't get a strike, then line up your feet with the pins and pick up an easy spare. :) I just played a game using that strategy and got pretty much the same score as the overall average from game 5: 185

We just have to come to the reality that Atari Bowling, while an excellent game in the 70's, just doesn't have the same appeal today. Some like it and some don't. We run into that in any given week in the HSC. Surround comes to mind from the last season. I suggest playing and trying to get as high a score as you can, or just wait for the next week. If I offended anyone, I apologize in advance as it was not my intent to do so. :)

Edited by Deteacher

So, if I'm not derailing this thread entirely, is there any way to make a "good" bowling game for the 2600?

Some bowling video games rely on timing, with the ball moving side to side and the player "launching" it down the lane when it reaches a desired spot side to side. I guess there's some skill in the timing.

Wii bowling introduces a measure of randomness and requirement of skill with its unique interface.

Given the restrictions of the controllers available for the 2600, the processing limitations of the 2600 and the arguments presented above, what would you do to make it better?

I was thinking maybe an added dimension to add difficulty would be to add an "approach". Align the player across the lane with vertical movements, then start the approach with a horizontal joystick movement. This might be just as lame as the randomness already in the existing game, but during the "steps" of the approach, the software could introduce randomness that would change the bowlers position across the lane (vertical motion on the screen). This drift tendency would have to be corrected with Up/Down joystick movements.

With the added dimension of movement, you could also pick up some complexity if the timing of the ball release relative to the foul line had some sort of affect on the ball's energy when it got to the pins.

Or maybe you could do some minor adjustments to ball speed by counting how long the button was held before it was released. For all I know, though, that might be a factor in the randomness of the current design.

Sorry for the detour, it was just a notion that struck me while reading the thread.