IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 3: Bowling

Ze_ro

I experimented with different lane positions and I have concluded that there is only one position from which you can throw strikes. However, if you don't get a strike, that position will only produce 2 and 3 pin spares. Other positions don't generate strikes, but will often produce single pin spares. I doubt there is any strategy to be gained by these observations, but it's interesting, nontheless.

Edited by Christophero Sly

We just have to come to the reality that Atari Bowling, while an excellent game in the 70's, just doesn't have the same appeal today. Some like it and some don't. We run into that in any given week in the HSC. Surround comes to mind from the last season. I suggest playing and trying to get as high a score as you can, or just wait for the next week.

Yep. Once in a while games don't turn out quite as competitive as we might want. Doesn't look like there's really any way to make this game competitive either, as every other game mode will just have the same problem. Oh well, might as well just ride it out. Next week will be a good one though, I promise... not a game I particularly like myself, but it's pretty popular in the Atari scene.

--Zero

I think what would have made this a better game was a sliding "hook" and "power" meter like current bowling and golf games have.

What kind of bowler throws straight shots anyway?

Lining up the guy in exactly the same spot and hoping for the number generator to reward you is pretty lame

But I've still enjoyed this week because I don't do that but instead just slide the guy up and hope I time it right to get the best results and leave myself with a spare opportunity or that one in a million strike

That's the Heavy 6er in its new living room home. Unfortunately I am getting a TON of RF interference (you can even tell from the picture) out there and I'm not sure I can put up with it. My gaming TV does not have nearly as much interference on it and I'm not sure why--maybe the more modern TV is more susceptible to it? I'm worried that when I was moving the console I may have messed something up, but I opened up the 6er and everything is firmly attached inside. And that's the only Atari my girlfriend will allow on display, seeing that it's an historical artifact and everything. :)

The juggernaut of Comcast--I think about 80 percent of America must have that cable box by now!

I got another 192. So close!

Nice setup, phaxda. You have the same cable box I do. :D

I keep an old ass T.V. around (no HD or plasma) to play my Atari, NES, etc.

Can't go wrong there.

Back on topic:

I'm starting to like Bowling a little. It's driving me mad, though. I used to only like this game when you could play two players. It was never exciting on one player mode. But, now I'm getting around to like one player.

Uh oh...people are catching up to me...I better start playing again. :( At least it's been proven that you can get multiple strikes in a game. :) Obviously, the key is to get 2-3 strikes in a row. I had a game where I got 4 or 5 strikes, but because they weren't in a row, my final score was 199.

Keep it up, guys! Catch me if you can! :)