IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 4: Atlantis

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Atlantis, fabled city of antiquity, lies in peaceful waters. The major districts of the city-the Aqua Plain, the Domed Palace and the Bridged Bazaar-murmur with activity while vital generators whirl. Three defense posts guard the skies over the metropolis.

An ominous sound penetrates the sea surrounding the city. The Gorgon Fleet, fierce warriors intent on demolishing Atlantis, attack in force. How long can the city withstand the assault?

s_Atlantis_2.png

Game Information

• Game Name: Atlantis
  • Released By: Atari, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: Tom_Explodes

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Oct 10th at 1:00 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 999,990 (toymailman) [+11]
    999,990 (Deteacher) [+11]
    999,990 (Blackjack) [+11]
  2. 259,020 (theking21083) [+10]
  3. 115,710 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 94,500 (homerwannabee) [+8]
  5. 87,700 (LarcenTyler) [+7]
  6. 75,300 (Nathan Strum) [+6]
  7. 73,300 (PressureCooker2600) [+5]
  8. 68,500 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 67,200 (Impaler_26) [+3]
  10. 62,800 (Artlover) [+2]
  11. 56,700 (Christophero Sly) [+1]
  12. 50,800 (Crazy Climber) [+1]
  13. 48,200 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  14. 47,900 (Captain Beard) [+1]
  15. 46,200 (theKLT) [+1]
  16. 43,700 (Butterwasp) [+1]
  17. 34,400 (rheffera) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Atlantis II Tie-Breaker
    • 559 (toymailman) [+3]
    • 521 (Blackjack) [+2]
    • 471 (Deteacher) [+1]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  • 10,604,840 (Rodrigo Lopes) (Emulator)
  • 6,271,120 (Frankie Cardulla)
  • 5,105,910 (Douglas C Korekach)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Deteacher [31]
  2. keilbaca [27]
  3. Rom Hunter [23]
  4. theking21083 [19]
  5. Nathan Strum [16]
  6. toymailman [14]
  7. Captain Beard [12]
  8. Christophero Sly [12]
  9. godzillajoe [11]
  10. SpiceWare [11]
  11. Pressurecooker2600 [9]
  12. Blackjack [9]
  13. theKLT [9]
  14. Impaler_26 [8]
  15. rheffera [7]
  16. keitaro [7]
  • Nognir [5]
  • ed1475 [4]
  • Artlover [4]
  • midnight magicman [4]
  • atari2600land [3]
  • Kurt_Woloch [3]
  • Butterwasp [3]
  • LarcenTyler [3]
  • shadow460 [2]
  • gospeedde [2]
  • Recycled [1]
  • RJ [1]
  • phaxda [1]
  • KaeruYojimbo [1]
  • Crazy Climber [1]

Scoring Points in Atlantis

• Large Gorgon Vessel - 100 points when destroyed by Command Post (center cannon)
  • Gorgon Bandit Bomber - 1000 points when destroyed by Command Post
  • You receive double points for destroying an enemy with a Sentry Post (side cannons)
  • At each end of a wave, you receive 500 points for each part of Atlantis that survives the Gorgon assault.
  • For every 10,000 points you score, a destroyed part of Atlantis is restored at the end of the current wave of attack. For example: You score 20,000 points during a wave, but lose the Acropolis Command Post and two other city installations. At the end of that wave, the Acropolis Command Post and one installation will reappear on the screen.
  • If you earn credits during a wave but do not lose any installations, those credits will be saved for the end of a wave during which you do suffer losses.
  • The small Gorgon Bandit Bomber is fast and powerful. Hit it, and the explosion knocks out all other Gorgon vessels in the sky! You score only for the Bandit Bomber.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy available. Here are the hints it provides:

* The drone of Gorgon vessels can always be heard.

* Your weapon fire drowns out all other sounds. Learn to place your shots well. If you fire constantly, you won't hear Bandit Bombers approach.

* The Gorgon Bandit Bombers make a loud humming sound. Listen for it! You can anticipate their appearance.

* Listen for the series of beeps that mark the end of a wave. Five short and four long beeps sound; game action pauses and your score is adjusted for bonus points.

* Gorgon vessels stay in formation, circling down from the highest level to one closest to Atlantis. Gorgon vessels can only fire the deathray when close to the city. Blast them before they reach the fourth lane of approach.

* The Acropolis Command Post can knock out a Gorgon vessel- even a Bandit Bomber-while it's firing the deathray. You have to be quick and accurate. Practice!

* Risk letting Bandit Bombers get close to the planet surface. If you hit one then, you'll demolish all Gorgon vessels in formation behind it.

* In advanced waves, the deathray will not always blast one of the whirling generators. This earns you another chance- but not for long.

If you can....try to blow up the fast, small ship when it gets further down. That'll give you a chance of blowing up more ships with just one shot.
My tip is to learn to use the side guns. Not only do you score twice as many points with them, they're your only line of defense when your middle gun is gone.

--Zero

Not much to start out with.

I tend to only use the middle gun. The other guns tend to just mess me up.

Also, if you can....try to blow up the fast, small ship when it gets further down. That'll give you a chance of blowing up more ships with just one shot.

post-11023-1191430089_thumb.jpg

I was getting a little practice in using www.2600online.com. I was in a real groove, then I had a class come in, so I had to stop. Damn kids. :twisted:

My tip is to learn to use the side guns. Not only do you score twice as many points with them, they're your only line of defense when your middle gun is gone.

556,050. No luck involved there! ;) I would have scored higher, but my wife picked the worst time to cross in front of the tv. :x I'm going for the million this week!

My tip can be summed up in one word: Timing!

Great score!

Yes indeed, once you figure out the rhythm, you can play forever :cool:

My personal best is over 5 million, but that was a case where I had to end the game intentionally since it was getting late. The score starts to do weird things ;)

Can we play the PS2 Activision Anthology vers?

As a general rule, I disallow modern compilations due to problems with inconsistent emulation. I know Activision is generally pretty good with their stuff, but I have no way of guaranteeing that the timing and such isn't slightly altered, which could potentially be unfair to people playing on real Atari's. However, I encourage using such versions for practice if they're more convenient for you... though again, if the timing isn't perfect, it could actually hurt your game in the long run.

Speaking of practicing... it might help to practice playing Game 2, where you can't use your center cannon. This forces you to rely on the side cannons and should help to improve your aim.

--Zero

556,050. No luck involved there! ;) I would have scored higher, but my wife picked the worst time to cross in front of the tv. :x I'm going for the million this week!

My tip can be summed up in one word: Timing!

Hmmmm

Deteacher is an anagram for De Cheater

I'm having that supposed photo sent to a lab for forensic analysis!

Finished a marathon session. I timed it and it takes about an hour for every million points. I put in a little over three hours. :D Once you get one million then it seems you can play forever. You have the timing nailed down and then the ships drop like flies.

Score before getting to the 1 million mark.

post-10944-1191470297_thumb.jpg

Score before hitting 3 million (you can see the "2" in the ones place)

post-10944-1191470316_thumb.jpg

A little after 3 million and I called it quits.

post-10944-1191470332_thumb.jpg

It took over 15 minutes to kill off all the extra city pieces stored up and I just watched, but bonus points are still accumulated. Last shot before endgame shot. (3,202,600)

post-10944-1191470356_thumb.jpg

Final shot.

post-10944-1191470370_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know why the "3" in the ones-place dissappears in the final score? Shouldn't it stay to show that 3 million was attained? Also, what's up with the "2" in the tens-place. I did not get 20 million!

What do people think that if someone gets over 1 million just call it 999,999 as was done with the Video Pinball week. There is no real point to spend all day playing (unless you are recording it for Twin Galaxies). Just a thought.

I have some more thoughts. Instead of everyone that breaks the 1 million mark tying for first place with an effective score of 999,999. We could have those individuals submit scores for Atlantis II as tie breakers. So for example, if 4 people break 1 million they then play Atlantis II until the week is over to determine 1st through 4th place. 5th place is still awarded to the highest score that did not reach 1 million.

1st - Player A 999,999 (1,617)

2nd - Player B 999,999 (1,102)

3rd - Player C 999,999 (622)

4th - Player D 999,999 (422)

5th - Player E 765,400

6th - etc...

This way players are incentivised to get 1 million as soon as possible (takes about an hour) so they will have the most time to play Atlantis II before the week is over. Atlantis II is extremely challenging, and would be a good way to decern between the players who have clearly mastered Atlantis I. Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Edited by toymailman