IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 6: Bank Heist

Ze_ro

I don't think it's impossible. I tried starting at level 8 and, yes, it is very fast, but at the start of level 8 there's still a slight delay before the cops come out. In fact, I believe Level X meant that it was already above 8. On the other hand, $100k might still be impossible because $99,999 probably is the maximum score (or it rolls over after that). The reason for this is that the Atari 2600 is only able to display a 6-digit score counter, and the first digit is already taken up by the dollar sign.

Yes, I would agree that at the start of level 8 there is still a slight delay and is the only reason I could progress past the first few towns. However, at one point the delay is virtually (maybe all the way) gone. When I got my scores over $70k as soon as I touched a bank a cop came out and I was busted. No amount of reflexes would've saved me. *sigh*

When I got my score of $78k I really did try to maximize my points in all the previous towns. Getting as many banks as possible before running out of fuel, blowing up cops at the 50 (sometimes 30) point level, and never missing a bonus. I would be extremely surprised if someone could get deep into the $80k range.

However... I tend to disagree to the tip above. If you're good enough and don't need as many extra cars, I'd try to rob as many banks as possible on each level until your car starts to flash. The reason for this is that difficulty seems to increase with each town cleared, not as a function of the score. In other words, if you make it to rob some extra banks per level, you can get to the "impossible" level with a higher score on your counter.

Yeah, now that I read my tip again, it didn't come out right. What I meant is don't leave a town until at least 9 banks are robbed. The main thing is to keep getting the bonus as that is where the big points are, especially in the later levels. I also agree that sticking around until your car flashes is something to do as well. Might as well get as many points as possible if you have the fuel to do it! :)

I also agree that this game was made very well. It is TONS of fun to play! :D The only change I would've made is to never decrease that delay so close to zero (maybe its even set to exactly zero) seconds. It seems that the delay should only go so far as to give your car a chance to get away. The difficulty could still be increased in subsequent towns by increasing the cop speed (harder to get away, but at least you had a slight head start). Maybe even continually increasing both cop and robber speed so the players reflexes are tested further when trying to navigate a super-fast car (with the cops slightly faster than that!). Right now it seems the delay portion of the difficulty overshadows the other difficulty aspects when you get to the "final" town.

I'll believe $100,000 is not possible when it is given the Todd Rogers or 5th Ghost test. ;)

My 1st HSC attempt and it was a fun and forgotten game that was a blast rediscovering.

Best total was 9,683.

I planned on beating that but never did as I didnt get enough time to play yesterday. I wish i took the screenshot but I thought i would beat it and I saw so many big Scores, i figured why bother with a screenshot of 9G's but then zero said post it anyway. I cant wait for the next round. Always good to have an excuse to play more atari. I just wish i noticed this group before. I really need to look around more in the vastness that is AA. Cheers :)