IGNORED

New, Faster Server On The Way

Albert

I just placed an order for a new, faster server to host AtariAge.com. The current server is chugging along slowly and has some issues--I figured it was time for an upgrade since I can get some nice hardware upgrades for the same price and won't have to spend a ton of time troubleshooting issues. The new server should be lightning fast compared to the slowness as of late. Plus there won't be any other sites running on it (there are a few others at the moment, and they'll be migrated to a different server). The new server will sport Dual 3.2Ghz Xeon processors (current is dual 2.4), 4GB of RAM (twice as much as now, great for MySQL), and two 10K SCSI SAS hard drives.

If all goes well, I will probably move the site next weekend. Going to do some forum upgrades at the same time, since it'll be easier to perform them before the new server goes live. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

..Al

About the forum upgrades, I'm guessing this may include changes to prevent people from butchering and/or deleting their own posts with the Edit command. I refer to a certain thread that devolved quickly, spiraled, crashed, and burned. I know one suggestion was to put a time limit on when posts could be edited (like 20 minutes after the initial post) and that certain threads (good trader thread, etc.) wouldn't be affected.

I had a thought about that. Instead of putting a limit on editing posts, how about putting a temporary posting ban on the user who abuses the privilege? Say, like a week or whatever. I think that would be fair and it wouldn't affect the thousands of other members who don't abuse the system. Just a thought...I'm not totally against the 20 minute time limit I just thought it would be more fair to deal with the people who are deleting their own posts.

Cool! Sometimes it seems to take forever for a post to go through or just for the reply page to come up. And it can feel like days go by before a list of topics come up after clicking on My Posts. This is very good news!

The "My Posts" query is slow for users with a great many posts (such as yourself). Not sure that's going to be much faster, but will be interesting to see if it is.

..Al

About the forum upgrades, I'm guessing this may include changes to prevent people from butchering and/or deleting their own posts with the Edit command. I refer to a certain thread that devolved quickly, spiraled, crashed, and burned. I know one suggestion was to put a time limit on when posts could be edited (like 20 minutes after the initial post) and that certain threads (good trader thread, etc.) wouldn't be affected.

I had a thought about that. Instead of putting a limit on editing posts, how about putting a temporary posting ban on the user who abuses the privilege? Say, like a week or whatever. I think that would be fair and it wouldn't affect the thousands of other members who don't abuse the system. Just a thought...I'm not totally against the 20 minute time limit I just thought it would be more fair to deal with the people who are deleting their own posts.

I can actually disable editing for individual users (which I have done in the past), but unfortunately that does not stop damage that has been done. This includes users going back and editing away *all* their posts, which has happened several times.

..Al

Mmmm i dont find any problems with this server,
Yeah, the My Posts is the only thing that's slow for me.

Anyone experience slowdowns from something else?

Yeah, EVERYHING forum related. Not as a consistant issue, but sporaticly often.

Post message, View new posts, My Posts, Search. Often, the system hangs for 30+ seconds, sometimes timing out altogether. And that's effecting alot of people around here. Why do you think there are so many double, triple, quadrupal posts around here lately? Because the system hangs, and instead of just waiting for the system to finally respond, they hit post again 2 or 3 times more times, then it responds, and there are 4 repeat posts. It wasn't too bad a while ago, but it has been steadly getting worse and worse lately. There have been several times where I've given up trying to read/post and just walked away for a few hours because the forums where just unusable.

It's great to hear everything will be moving to a faster server. We need it.

Post message, View new posts, My Posts, Search. Often, the system hangs for 30+ seconds, sometimes timing out altogether. And that's effecting alot of people around here. Why do you think there are so many double, triple, quadrupal posts around here lately? Because the system hangs, and instead of just waiting for the system to finally respond, they hit post again 2 or 3 times more times, then it responds, and there are 4 repeat posts. It wasn't too bad a while ago, but it has been steadly getting worse and worse lately. There have been several times where I've given up trying to read/post and just walked away for a few hours because the forums where just unusable.

When it's slow, yes, it affects everything. I haven't seen it as bad as you're describing, but I know it can hang for one to several minutes until it goes back to "normal". Some things, like the "My Posts" link, are always slow and I'll look into improving that when I get everything running on the new server (I wrote that query myself and it can likely be optimized).

The multiple posts thing should not be a problem, unless you have JavaScript disabled. Normally after you click the "Add Reply" button, it is immediately disabled so you cannot click it again. But if you have JavaScript disabled, the button is not disabled and you can click it multiple times, which will result in multiple posts. This will also further slow the server down since you're now performing several SQL Insert statements in multiple tables.

..Al

I have been thinking about something that might help a little. Is there any way you could make a View Active Threads link? The only reason I use My Posts is to see the latest active threads I have posted in. I do not need a complete list of my posts for that, just a list of threads I have posted in that have been active since my last visit.

Edited by Random Terrain

A forum I used to hang out at would append a link "edit history" to the bottom of any edited message. Clicking that would reveal the prior content(s - if mulitple edits) of the message.

The "My posts" and search function are pretty slow, but not terrible. I do have a problem uploading files. Using Firefox 2.0.0.8 I literally can't. If I want to upload a file I have to use MS Explorer. :|

What happens when you try to upload files using Firefox? That's pretty much what I use full-time on various computers (all Macs, I rarely use Windows these days).

..Al

I have been thinking about something that might help a little. Is there any way you could make a View Active Threads link? The only reason I use My Posts is to see the latest active threads I have posted in. I do not need a complete list of my posts for that, just a list of threads I have posted in that have been active since my last visit.

That would be a useful query, ask me again in a few weeks after I've got the site moved to the new server. :)

..Al

A forum I used to hang out at would append a link "edit history" to the bottom of any edited message. Clicking that would reveal the prior content(s - if mulitple edits) of the message.

Unfortunately this forum software does not maintain a history of edits for each post that has been edited, so there's no way to retrieve that information. It sure would be nice, and there are may times I've wished it did save edits, but sadly it does not. I'm hoping they add this feature in version 3.0, which they are working on now.

..Al

That would be a useful query, ask me again in a few weeks after I've got the site moved to the new server. :)

..Al

That's great news Al, nice to be part of a site that is run so well.

I was just about to suggest something similar. Agree that most of the time I use "my posts" to view recent posting, don't reference posts from 5 years ago too often ;) How about a "My Recent Posts" that shows maybe the most recent 50-100 active posts instead? I'd probably hit that 90% of the time instead of browsing through the complete list in my posts.

..Al

That's great news Al, nice to be part of a site that is run so well.

I was just about to suggest something similar. Agree that most of the time I use "my posts" to view recent posting, don't reference posts from 5 years ago too often ;) How about a "My Recent Posts" that shows maybe the most recent 50-100 active posts instead? I'd probably hit that 90% of the time instead of browsing through the complete list in my posts.

I will likely limit the query to a maximum resultset of 1,000. This is what the normal search query does to speed things up--if you're getting that many results then you should probably try to narrow down the search a bit. :)

..Al

it was about time this site's server was... updated...

Oh, I get your secret meaning. I'll explain it to the others. You see, a server from the moon brought slogburry stew and belachoo wine to the Martians every day for lunch. The Martians got pretty tired of it, so they ate the server which instantly updated the menu. Get it? Server? Updated? It's hilarious!