IGNORED

Looking to get an Atari computer - any advice?

Hank

I've got a nice little collection of Atari consoles and games, but I'm thinking I just HAVE to have an atari computer. My only computer experience from those days was Apple stuff, so I really don't know what I should get. So dear experts, please give me a little advice. Also please give me a ballpark idea of Ebay pricing for said computers.

Thank you!

Hank

Depends what your looking for...I assume you refer to only the Atari 8-bit computers that were Apple II's competition. If you want one built like a tank with a nice keyboard similiar to the old Apple II's, the 800 is the way to go, but it only runs software up to 48k without unique upgrading and even then it may only work with some software and as a ramdisk beyond the initial 48k. The good news is that 48k covers at least 75% of the software if not more. These are a real joy for the nostalgia facter.

The 1200XL is also a nice model, but it has some minor issues that most of which can be addressed with translator os software or whatever and isn't a huge deal. With 64k it runs a higher percentage of software than the 800 (with tranlator/os fix disks). The 1200XL has some additional advantages including the best keyboard and other bells&wistles like function keys.

If you want the most compatibility then the 800XL/65XE or 130XE are the way to go with 64k and 128k respectively. Only about 1 or 2% of software utilizes 128k but some of the programs are very good that do...some programs like Alternate Reality use however much ram is available, min. 48k. the 130XE has the worst keyboard short of the membrane one on the Atari 400, but it gets the job done and one gets used to it. Basically the 1200/800XL/65XE's peer is the Apple IIe and the 130XE's is the Apple IIc, except no built in disk drive.

There are other models, but these are the only ones to consider unless you only plan on using it as a cartridge game machine, without upgrading. These are the 400/600XL, both 16k upgradable to 48k and 64k respectively (official upgrades).

All Atari's have unofficial upgrades ranging from 64/128k to megabytes. As well as many other "chip" upgrades and external boxes like the "blackbox" or "MIO" for hard drives among other things.

As far as Atari and 3rd party periphrials go, 99% will work with any generation of 8-bit Atari computer. The newest disk drive or printer will work on the oldest Atari and vice versa. 8)

Hope this all helps. I own an 800 and 130XE and plan on getting a 1200XL, but mine are or will be all hacked with upgrades. 8)

Thanks for all the great info.    I know I have some research to do.   An 800 or 1200XL sound like a good starting point for me.   So what's the scoop on the ST line?

Anyone have anything to sell me :D ?

When thinking of the ST line, think COLOR MacSE. You can even get Mac and PC emulators for them, later models will even run MAC software faster than many MACs! 512-4096 color palette depending on model, 512k to many Megabytes, also, look into the TT; UNIX, Best TOS (OS system for st/tt/falcons) this one WILL emulate a MAC and run many times faster than the MAC it emulates in most cases. Falcon is just a very cool multi-media computer, the last Atari made, better than anything else in it's day (brief day). Runs all ST software and then some and can also emulate MAC/PC. note: emulation requires additional hardware/software. TONS of great games for the ST line and wonderful for music and graphics too, blows away Mac's and PC's of the same era when it comes to midi capabilities and graphics. But I'm not an expert on Atari's 16/32-bit computers so maybe others can expand/correct my input here...

Gunstar, that's a good summary of the ST.

I'd like to add a few notes. PC emulation is slow with software emulators (but cheap), but faster with hardware emulators (more expensive). Only 1 Mac hardware emulator available and yes, it was faster than a real Mac. :D

Falcons could run most, but not all ST software. No Mac emulators worked on the Falcon.

Be aware that higher end STs (MegaST/STes, TTs, Falcons) will generally cost a couple hundred dollars. :o Lower end 520/1040STs go for around $20-$50. So it depends on your pocketbook too. :)