SNES + HDTV = Jitters / Bobbing

Mike 01Hawk

Console

1st Gen SNES

TV

Samsung Slimfit 30 TXT3093WH

Connection

Composite Video (yellow RCA)

Okay, first, the color and picture are pretty darn amazing for a 17 y/o game (Super Mario World), but ever few seconds the screen jitters or bobs up and down for a split second. If I unplug and plug the video connector back in, the jitter goes away for a few seconds.

From Googling and forum snooping I'm thinking it's my HDTV not liking to output 240p, what are CHEAP options on upscalers that should fix this problem (assuming that that's the problem)?

-edit, does NOT occur w/ my N64 (which uses the SAME cable btw).

I'm starting to think it's my SNES kicking the bucket

Edited by Mike 01Hawk

Console

1st Gen SNES

TV

Samsung Slimfit 30 TXT3093WH

Connection

Composite Video (yellow RCA)

Okay, first, the color and picture are pretty darn amazing for a 17 y/o game (Super Mario World), but ever few seconds the screen jitters or bobs up and down for a split second. If I unplug and plug the video connector back in, the jitter goes away for a few seconds.

From Googling and forum snooping I'm thinking it's my HDTV not liking to output 240p, what are CHEAP options on upscalers that should fix this problem (assuming that that's the problem)?

-edit, does NOT occur w/ my N64 (which uses the SAME cable btw).

I'm starting to think it's my SNES kicking the bucket

While maybe not exactly the same, I had a problem with the display on my 15" LCD being messed up when using my FC Twin or Saturn. If I ran the output of the game system through my DVD recorder, it fixes the problem.

JY

Tonight I plan on hooking up the SNES via the same cable to a DIFFERENT TV :)

Oh and is there a handy website that lists all the homebrew or easy mods to get old systems up to Component level clarity? I know the SNES/N64 can do S-vid out of the box w/ a cable, but was wanting to go 'better'. Does that mean RGB->Component conversion or what? Yeah, I'm a little lost.

Some SNES can do RGB but I can't tell for sure if it's all older SNES or something specific. The store display I just sold on eBay had RGB monitor and SNES with SCART cable that carried RGB and composite video.

Teh capability was stripped from the SNES2 redesign. It's present on all old-style SNESes.

You could try hooking it up via S-Video just for the heck of it.

And as far as the difference between S-Video and component - There isn't that much of a difference at all. That said, creating your own component output from the RGB signal could potentially produce something better. Heck - creating your own S-Video or even composite signal from the RGB signal could potentially produce something better.

But don't worry about that for now. Try out S-Video.

Could be the SNES doesn't output in true interlaced signal for standard NTSC and causes jitters on touchy digital TVs? I'd have to hook up a SNES to my parent's digital wide screen TV and see if the jitter is noticeable or not. My AV modded 2600 bombs, half of the game didn't display at all on my parent's TV.

Would feeding the older system through a VCR work? VCR may "clean" the signal just enough to be friendly with newer TVs.

That's what I was thinking. It might not be producing a steady good signal, in which a vcr would clear up.

That's kind of what I had posted earlier about my problem. Running it through the A/V or S-Video in on my DVD recorder fixed the problem I was having.

JY

I'll try the vhs/dvd pass thru tonight.

There's something quite funky.. I was able to get it to work w/ Composite.... but it still jitters with S-vid.... lol this is frustrating. I cleaned the contacts on the SNES, maybe it just isn't providing enough 'juice' to the TV?

This seems obvious, but do you have another SNES you could try? Does a friend have one? Does your Goodwill?

HDTVs are fickle things, I'm starting to notice. I have a Samsung 40" LCD that I bought last year. I am still in love with the beast, but I've noticed it doesn't like certain hook-ups.

Earlier this year I scored one of those RGB-to-S-Video converters for the Sega Genesis. If I connect a Genesis to the Samsung directly using this box, it works great. If I connect it through my 8-way A/V switchbox, however, I get distracting ripples through certain colors, particularly blue. No other system on the A/V switchbox gets this kind of distortion.

Then there's my Sega Saturn, which is also connected through S-video. Sometimes it works beautifully. Sometimes the color disappears and I'm left with a black-and-white picture. Sometimes the color comes and goes, but not all at once; instead it gets "speckly" like an old TV will when the vacuum cleaner is running. I've suspected the cable, but the Samsung is the only TV or monitor in my house that has this issue.

I think in general modern TVs are better about adhering to signal standards, which ironically makes them less compatible with old video game systems that often skirted those those standards.

Edited by skunkworx

• 2 weeks later...
I think in general modern TVs are better about adhering to signal standards, which ironically makes them less compatible with old video game systems that often skirted those those standards.

It's more that the TV is no longer driven by the signal coming in.

The video signal coming to a tube TV is, more or less,

It's got a computer in it that translates the incoming waveform into a bitmap, scales it to the display's native resolution, and passes it to the panel.

If it sees timings it wasn't programmed for, it chokes with varied effects. They usually don't have a lot of error-handling, so strange and unpredictable things can happen.

The best example I've heard of was a LCD PC monitor that threw a "signal out of range" error box when a Genesis was hooked up... on top of the Genesis image that it was successfully rendering.

-Update -

I got another SNES at the local Vintage Stock... NO JITTERS!!!

So yeah, turns out it was my SNES and not the cables, nor the TV.

Guess my original SNES didn't fare to well with all the hot/cold cycles while in storage in the attic

But I'm still curious as to why Composite works, but not S-Vid for that particular TV... guess the innards of the SNES are different depending on what output signal is required? Oh well, no big deal.

Now I just gotta return this SNES I bought at Vintage Stock, ha.. paid $70 for it!!! ACK! And then find another cheaper replacement :)

Edited by Mike 01Hawk

-Update -

I got another SNES at the local Vintage Stock... NO JITTERS!!!

So yeah, turns out it was my SNES and not the cables, nor the TV.

Guess my original SNES didn't fare to well with all the hot/cold cycles while in storage in the attic

But I'm still curious as to why Composite works, but not S-Vid for that particular TV... guess the innards of the SNES are different depending on what output signal is required? Oh well, no big deal.

Now I just gotta return this SNES I bought at Vintage Stock, ha.. paid $70 for it!!! ACK! And then find another cheaper replacement :)

Or return the broken one... :ponder: