IGNORED

Anyone want an Atari Hotz Box?

*cough*

:ponder:

Just wanted to give a heads up as a few are available right now. It's ashame I'm not bloody rich else I'd own one.... I've always at least wanted to play around with one, I don't think it would be necessary for me to own one I guess.... (although the cool factor would be pretty friggin' high) :)

The link would be helpful I suppose:

Atari Hotz Box

post-985-1195887911_thumb.png

Edited by Clint Thompson

Wow! I didn't know that they actually made those (I assumed they were prototype only). Neat! They look like a bad prop from a Star Trek movie though... ;)

Tempest

Yeah, I remember reading about these "back in the day" and figured maybe just the one prototype existed (as I'm pretty sure I remember seeing pictures of them in various Atari-related magazines). Crazy to see these up for sale now so many years later! Also crazy prices. :)

..Al

Wow! I didn't know that they actually made those (I assumed they were prototype only). Neat! They look like a bad prop from a Star Trek movie though... ;)

Tempest

Yeah, I remember reading about these "back in the day" and figured maybe just the one prototype existed (as I'm pretty sure I remember seeing pictures of them in various Atari-related magazines). Crazy to see these up for sale now so many years later! Also crazy prices. :)

..Al

I have a Hotz box which I recently re-built thanks to parts available from Jimmy Hotz. These were actually produced, although I don't know how many are out there. Prices have come down ;)

There are videos regarding the Hotz technology and instruments available on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Hotz777

Also, you can read all about the Atari ST version of the Hotz Translator software, and get it too:

http://tamw.atari-users.net/hotz.htm

Aloha

I always wanted a Hotz Box from when I first read about it back in the 80's, it was such and advanced technilogical concept for pure creativity back then, that even today it still seems state-of-the-art. Alas I still can't afford one. Maybe one day. The only "downfall" is that it's MIDI based, which is an obsolete I/O&sound technology now, but it wouldn't suprise me if the Hotz Box could be used in conjunction with modern I/O&sound technologies to compensate for this. Otherwise, it's still state-of-the-art in concept and creative utility. Just another example of how Atari engineering (or Atari aquired engineering like Hotz's inventions) was always years ahead of other similiar companies, but had poor marketing and distribution so the full potential was never realized.

I wonder if Mick Fleetwood still has all his Atari equipment tucked away somewhere, he was always a HUGE fan of Atari products relating to music.

Edited by Gunstar

Hey, Gunstar. Why do you say "MIDI is outdated"?

It is not true at all. MIDI is for exchanging data between instruments, and it is the standard today like yesterday.

Then you have digital audio tech for moving data around, that is another thing (you know, virtual instruments, virtual effects, virtual-a-lot-of-useless-stuff... :P ).

MIDI only sends notes (like in a music score page) and SYSEX (data like program change, pan, sustain, ...) and the specs *never* changed from day one.

I agree that some particular applications, like controlling a huuuge mixer, is achieved today with Ethernet instead of MIDI. However, there are several reasons for trusting MIDI in a lot of departments.

• 4 months later...
*cough*

Just wanted to give a heads up as a few are available right now. It's ashame I'm not bloody rich else I'd own one.... I've always at least wanted to play around with one, I don't think it would be necessary for me to own one I guess.... (although the cool factor would be pretty friggin' high) :)

Atari Hotz Box

Yes If you have any information as to where I can acquire the HOTZBOX, Please please let me know ASAP.. I tried calling the number provided by the homepage but its just an answering machine. I left message and have been waiting for a response.

If anyone has knowledge as to where I can acquire the pads for the DRUM VEST or where I can purchase a DRUM VEST.. please let me know.. This is something that I really really need..

Hey, Gunstar. Why do you say "MIDI is outdated"?

It is not true at all. MIDI is for exchanging data between instruments, and it is the standard today like yesterday.

Then you have digital audio tech for moving data around, that is another thing (you know, virtual instruments, virtual effects, virtual-a-lot-of-useless-stuff... :P ).

MIDI only sends notes (like in a music score page) and SYSEX (data like program change, pan, sustain, ...) and the specs *never* changed from day one.

I agree that some particular applications, like controlling a huuuge mixer, is achieved today with Ethernet instead of MIDI. However, there are several reasons for trusting MIDI in a lot of departments.

You are right Paolo, The MIDI is not outdated in any form.. It is Industry starndard for all the music programs that we use as producers. Use of Midi for a producer is like Use of Headphones for DJ's, ITS A MUST..There really hasnt been any reason in my opinion to try to sway away from it.. Granted there are other aspects like you were mentioning, but still the core holds true.

But nowadays like my friend Mobius 8, there are new midi controllers that are read by Laser and not a keyboard.. its called THE HYDRA www.mobius8.net

Sad that I will be dead and gone when this item becomes Industry standard . lol

*cough*

Atari Hotz Box

They *are* sweet. I met Jimmy Hotz last weekend and bought his used Unitor-N. He let me give the Hotz Box a spin....