IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 12: Kabobber

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

Krafty Kabobbers are running amok and it's up to you to defeat them all, but beware! The kantankerous Kabobbers are hopping mad and kan hop on and pop, your army of Buvskies in no time at all! You'll find strength in numbers while bobbing and weaving through the Kabobber grid - promote your Baby Buvskies for extra help in Guvsky busting! Reach Princess Buvsky before she devours the Rainbow Energy and viktory is yours!

s_Kabobber_2.png

Game Information

• Game Name: Kabobber
  • Released By: Activision, Unreleased Prototype
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 3 - Advanced Game, 1 Player
  • Chosen By: rheffera

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Dec 5th at 1:00 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played! (Please note that due to time constraints, I very rarely reply to private messages... but I do read them all!)

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 999,999 (toymailman) [+11]
  2. 206,500 (rheffera) [+10]
  3. 114,140 (Deteacher) [+9]
  4. 65,040 (Kurt_Woloch) [+8]
  5. 61,960 (keilbaca) [+7]
  6. 55,480 (PressureCooker2600) [+6]
  7. 50,940 (Impaler_26) [+5]
  8. 40,080 (DarthCalvin) [+4]
  9. 12,560 (Butterwasp) [+3]
  10. 11,820 (theking21083) [+2]
  11. 7440 (LarcenTyler) [+1]

Best Tips

• Kurt_Woloch [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Join the Activision Kabashers! - Score 50,000 points or more for 2 bonus points!
    • toymailman, rheffera, Deteacher, Kurt_Woloch, keilbaca, PressureCooker2600, Impaler_26 [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  • 999,999 (David B Yancey)
  • (Only one score!)

Current Standings

(Note: These scores reflect the standing as of the beginning of this week, and do not include points scored from this game.)

1. Deteacher [113]
  2. toymailman [91]
  3. keilbaca [80]
  4. Pressurecooker2600 [69]
  5. theking21083 [67]
  6. rheffera [45]
  7. Recycled [40]
  8. SpiceWare [39]
  9. Blackjack [35]
  10. Kurt_Woloch [34]
  11. DarthCalvin [32]
  12. homerwannabee [32]
  13. Impaler_26 [32]
  14. Captain Beard [31]
  15. Nathan Strum [29]
  16. Rom Hunter [23]
  17. shadow460 [16]
  18. LarcenTyler [13]
  19. Butterwasp [13]
  • midnight magicman [13]
  • Christophero Sly [13]
  • godzillajoe [11]
  • theKLT [10]
  • Artlover [9]
  • keitaro [7]
  • Nognir [5]
  • ed1475 [4]
  • Goochman [3]
  • phaxda [3]
  • atari2600land [3]
  • Crazy Climber [2]
  • gospeedde [2]
  • Phantom [2]
  • Snider-man [2]
  • doctorclu [1]
  • RJ [1]
  • KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Kabobber

• You score points by hopping on enemies.
  • Enemies in round 1 are worth 20 points, and in each subsequent round, the enemies increase in value by 20 points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a scanned copy available (Note that since this game was never actually released, this is a fan-made manual). Here are the hints it provides:

* It's a 'hop or be hopped' world! When you hop on enemies, you get a free Baby Buvsky in your bottom row. Try to build up a good reserve of Baby Buvskies in the earlier rounds. That way, you'll make sure you have enough Buvskies at your disposal for the later rounds when the going gets rough!

* Really pay attention to the movement of the Enemy Kabobbers. The Cholos for example, move slightly faster and more erratic than the Guvskies. You might wish to only attack the Guvskies and avoid the tougher opponents altogether, since the same amount of points are scored for any hopped enemy.

* Avoid the Boots at all costs, and stay away from the Strovskies as much as possible. While the Strovskies are able to be hopped, their increased strength and speed makes it a much more difficult maneuver to pull off.

- The manual seems to be wrong on a few counts. One of them is that game variation 3 actually starts at grid 8, not grid 3, because you get 160 points for each squashed enemy.

- At the end of each round, each baby buvsky you have left awards the same score as a squashed enemy. As far as I know, you don't get bonus points for catching the princess early.

- A promoted baby buvsky has to be "fed" with a green Guvsky first before it's able to stomp other enemies than Guvskies. This includes the princess which also can kill you if she stomps on you, and you have to stomp on her with an adult Buvsky, since a baby Buvsky will get killed off if it stomps on anything else than a Guvsky.

- The princess has got a wrong name in the manual... she should actually be called Ruvsky because she's red and has the same shape as the green Guvskies and blue Buvskies.

- You only get extra baby buvskies for stomping Guvskies with an adult buvsky. Other enemies don't give you baby buvskies, and "feeding" a promoted baby with a Guvsky also doesn't create a new baby.

- It's advisable to always promote a baby buvsky as soon as you've got only 1 buvsky on the grid left, because if you lose that one, you'll probably lose some of the baby buvskies before you're able to send one of them onto the grid.

- You shouldn't go backwards too often since the time to catch the princess is not too long. An exception to this is if you need extra babies urgently or need to feed promoted babies in order to be able to complete the round (or survive the enemies better). Remember that if you lost your last buvsky by having the princess step on it, and you send a new one to the grid, that one first is a baby and can't stomp the princess immediately, it first has to stomp on a guvsky.

A good tip for now is to practice with game 1. Then, once you get a feel for the game, play for real on game 3.
My Tips:

1. I've found it easier to jump on enemy's vertically rather than horizontally.

2. Control the number of Buvsky's you have on screen at once. I only have 2 On screen at once. THis makes it easier to jump on the enemy's without loosing too many Buvsky's, which means you get alot of Buvsky's built up in reserve, which equates to more bonus points at the end of the round.

The waves that used to kill me off were the ones where the enemies can move vertically. However, after playing it enough I found they have only a few patterns. One is two ups then two downs and the other is always up. With this you can simply avoid the enemies and go for the Princess bonus. Pick up the green ones if you need to max out the reserves for the most bonus. After I started avoiding most enemies (they never move too fast to dodge) and just collect the Princess bonus points the game became much easier.

--Zero

OK, seems like I'm the first one to actually post a score... and not a bad one at that since the limit of 50,000 points for becoming a "Kabasher" is not so far away. My score is:

post-8393-1196287513_thumb.png

Now for some hints:

- The manual seems to be wrong on a few counts. One of them is that game variation 3 actually starts at grid 8, not grid 3, because you get 160 points for each squashed enemy.

- At the end of each round, each baby buvsky you have left awards the same score as a squashed enemy. As far as I know, you don't get bonus points for catching the princess early.

- A promoted baby buvsky has to be "fed" with a green Guvsky first before it's able to stomp other enemies than Guvskies. This includes the princess which also can kill you if she stomps on you, and you have to stomp on her with an adult Buvsky, since a baby Buvsky will get killed off if it stomps on anything else than a Guvsky.

- The princess has got a wrong name in the manual... she should actually be called Ruvsky because she's red and has the same shape as the green Guvskies and blue Buvskies.

- You only get extra baby buvskies for stomping Guvskies with an adult buvsky. Other enemies don't give you baby buvskies, and "feeding" a promoted baby with a Guvsky also doesn't create a new baby.

- It's advisable to always promote a baby buvsky as soon as you've got only 1 buvsky on the grid left, because if you lose that one, you'll probably lose some of the baby buvskies before you're able to send one of them onto the grid.

- You shouldn't go backwards too often since the time to catch the princess is not too long. An exception to this is if you need extra babies urgently or need to feed promoted babies in order to be able to complete the round (or survive the enemies better). Remember that if you lost your last buvsky by having the princess step on it, and you send a new one to the grid, that one first is a baby and can't stomp the princess immediately, it first has to stomp on a guvsky.

After several tries of never breaking 10k I finally got the hang of it.

post-10944-1196439710_thumb.jpg

Wait a minute... there's something wrong here. According to your screenshot, you still had 5 men on the grid, and the princess also hadn't reached the rainbow yet. So in my opinion, the game wasn't over yet, and you could have scored higher. Or am I missing something here?

Loaded this up on my new Kroko and set to work on catching up to Toy! Not even close to him, though:

39,620!

I'm trying to figure out what the best strategy is. Do you go with a large army or a small one. I try to keep a small group together, but I don't know if that's the best strategy to go with. I'm still figuring it out. It's a lot of fun, though! :)

P.S. this is my 500th post! Whoo hoo! I'm a Dragonstomper now! :)

post-9712-1196534058_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deteacher

EDIT: 78,700

My Tips: I

1. Ive found it easier to jump on enemy's vertically rather than horizontally.

2. Control the number of Buvsky's you have on screen at once. I only have 2 On screen at once. THis makes it easier to jump on the enemy's without loosing too many Buvsky's, which means you get alot of Buvsky's built up in reserve, which equates to more bonus points at the end of the round.

Give it a go!

Edited by rheffera