Photo

Squish 'Em for the 2600 (Done!)

118 replies to this topic

#101 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,970 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:48 AM

-Also the tune that plays when you finish a building is *slightly* different. Unless that's been fixed in the most recent release, which I haven't checked yet. Might just be that the original tune calls for a note that the 2600 can't do.

#102 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,832 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:27 AM

-Also the tune that plays when you finish a building is *slightly* different. Unless that's been fixed in the most recent release, which I haven't checked yet. Might just be that the original tune calls for a note that the 2600 can't do.

When I wrote that all the sounds are different, I was including the music in that statement. All the original sounds - music and SFX both - call for notes that the 2600 can't match exactly.

#103 Kurt_Woloch OFFLINE  

Kurt_Woloch

Stargunner

• 1,584 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:42 PM

Hmmm... just tried this. Good job, although the "buzzing" is a little irritating. But if you say they also had that in the A8 version... I just wonder if they did it on purpose or by mistake. And are you really supposed to get 0 points for a grabbed bonus item? I think that was different in the C-64 version which I played long ago...

#104 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,832 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:59 PM

Hmmm... just tried this. Good job, although the "buzzing" is a little irritating. But if you say they also had that in the A8 version... I just wonder if they did it on purpose or by mistake. And are you really supposed to get 0 points for a grabbed bonus item? I think that was different in the C-64 version which I played long ago...

Just double checked and you can indeed hear the same buzzing in the A8 version, in emulation (and on the real thing). It sounds the same as my 2600 port. I tried a little modification to see if it would help, but it didn't make any difference. I think the buzzing is just an unfortunate side effect for the way they did the sounds. Basically, they are turning all sounds off 60 times a second and, if any sounds are playing, turning them right back on almost immediately, 60 times per second. Gives the sounds a really cool, unique effect, but it also makes it buzz, I guess. Honestly, I never noticed until mimo mentioned it earlier.

And yes, 0 points for a prize. You do get an extra life, so don't be too sad. :)

#105 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,970 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:04 PM

Basically, they are turning all sounds off 60 times a second and, if any sounds are playing, turning them right back on almost immediately, 60 times per second. Gives the sounds a really cool, unique effect, but it also makes it buzz, I guess.

This is the "modulation" effect I referred to in an earlier post. At the time of that posting, it sounded like you had applied this effect to some of the sound effects, but not all.

Are you currently doing this to the falling-brick sound? If not, that might help it sound a little less harsh.

#106 Albert ONLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 35,368 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:06 PM

I haven't noticed the buzzing in emulation or playing on a real 2600, but I will have to try again and listen for it. It can't be that annoying if I haven't noticed it yet. :)

..Al

#107 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,832 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:42 PM

Basically, they are turning all sounds off 60 times a second and, if any sounds are playing, turning them right back on almost immediately, 60 times per second. Gives the sounds a really cool, unique effect, but it also makes it buzz, I guess.

This is the "modulation" effect I referred to in an earlier post. At the time of that posting, it sounded like you had applied this effect to some of the sound effects, but not all.

Are you currently doing this to the falling-brick sound? If not, that might help it sound a little less harsh.

Yeah, it applies to all sounds.

#108 Deteacher OFFLINE  

Deteacher

River Patroller

• 3,462 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:34 PM

I have only played this game on the Atari 800XL home computer. I just tried your VCS conversion. Bob, I am simply amazed at how you've got this conversion nailed down. This is simply incredible! Most excellent work! I will definitely buy this game when it comes out in cart form.

My hat goes off to you, Vdub. I'm in awe! :)

#109 diggs130 OFFLINE  

diggs130

Stargunner

• 1,337 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:45 AM

Just tried this out a couple of days ago for a bit and was very impressed with it!So I went ahead and bought a copy,nothing beats playing the real deal.

Thanks for your part in keeping the 2600 alive!

#110 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,832 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:05 PM

Thanks for all the kind comments. :)

I posted final binaries and source code in the first post. :)

#111 duncantoml OFFLINE  

duncantoml

Moonsweeper

• 251 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:12 PM

Very Nice Bob!!!!

This was the first item in my cart for the Christmas buys and can't wait to get it!

Any idea on the completion for the 5200 version? That will be a must! ;)

Tom

#112 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,832 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:52 PM

Very Nice Bob!!!!

This was the first item in my cart for the Christmas buys and can't wait to get it!

Any idea on the completion for the 5200 version? That will be a must! ;)

Tom

I dunno, probably not before the new year. :)

And I haven't yet, but I will soon mail you your Go Fish! SE carts! :)

#113 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,991 posts
  • Atari 7800 & NES Developer

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:07 PM

Great work, Bob

I am always envious of the real talent here who can code a game from scratch like this.

Absolutely wonderful. :)

Oh, and BTW, BOUGHT! :D

Edited by PacManPlus, Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:09 PM.

#114 Heaven/TQA OFFLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 11,255 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:31 PM

well done... now what about going backwards? I would like to see an A8 version of Chopper Command which is missing in the A8 library of early Activision games...

#115 vdub_bobby OFFLINE  

vdub_bobby

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,832 posts
  • Boom bam.

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:34 PM

well done... now what about going backwards? I would like to see an A8 version of Chopper Command which is missing in the A8 library of early Activision games...

Throw some other names out there, I might be interested. :D

But I've never really liked Chopper Command.

EDIT: Maybe Frostbite...

Edited by vdub_bobby, Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:36 PM.

#116 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,830 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:47 PM

Preppie! on the 2600 would be cool

#117 duncantoml OFFLINE  

duncantoml

Moonsweeper

• 251 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:08 PM

One of my favorite A8 games is Monex. Now that would be cool for the 2600! Not enough puzzle type games that can keep my interest, but this ones hard to put down.

#118 supercat OFFLINE  

supercat

Quadrunner

• 6,401 posts

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:41 PM

Preppie! on the 2600 would be cool

To my mind, the music is what made that game. Would it be the same without?

#119 PressureCooker2600 OFFLINE  

PressureCooker2600

Nurgle, The Pestilent One

• 6,742 posts
  • Death Metal for the Soul

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:54 PM

Monex is awesome. I really love the intro music.....it puts me in a hypnotic state, almost.

Yoomp! is another great A8 game but there is no hope for that kinda game being ported to the VCS.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users