IGNORED

TOP 5 BEST arcade games EVER

GreenDayRlz

Here`s my list-

1. Defender, Williams electronics, inc. 1980-Started the Video Game era.(AND since no more great games were made, started the crash...?)(My dad owns this, I beat him 128K-127K points the other day, then the next game I got 350k!)

2. Tempest Atari VERY Unique, VERY hard, The perfect combination.

3. Space Invaders, Atari It sorta started every good game avaliable, Shooters.

4. Pole Position, Atari Was a very weird idea, very simple but is very fun to play.

5. Bubble Bobble Taito Simplicity at it`s best.

Honorable Mentions-

ALL nintendo`sfrom DK to Popeye were great.

Stargate, Joust

Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros. VS.

Pac-Man

I DID NOT look up who made these games, These are my opion, and The company Might not be right.

Pac Man is not up there because It is not very anything, It`s a maze, It`s too simple. But is very hard, If I could Rate it, It would be a 7.

Any other oppions?

My own personal Top 5...

1) Crazy Climber - This game did not translate well to the home market until we got the Playstation controller with the dual analog sticks. But in the ultimate irony (to me, at least) none of the games ever made it to the states. Argh. I liked this game so much I even wrote a short story about it.

2) Galaga - The best pure shooter ever made. I played the hell outta this game, since it's the one game nearly guaranteed to be at every arcade/pizza joint/bar in the world. I love the PS version, too.

3) Tempest - Classic game. This and Crazy Climber are two arcade games I'd love to own. I really dig the Jaguar version, as I made it level 98, but having a free-moving spinner is the best way to play this one!

4) Daytona USA - A fun multiplayer game. We used to have our company Christmas parties at a bar called Trippers and they used to have an arcade section, with 8 Daytona games linked. That was a blast, drunk driving in a simulation. First thing I would do is take out the row of cones, knock them onto the track.

5) Metro Cross - A really unique, fun game. I could really get into a rhythm on this one. The ST version was pretty fun, but it did not compare to the arcade.

There are others I enjoy, like Time Pilot, Gyruss, Gauntlet, Ghosts N Goblins, Battlezone, Qbert, Rampage, T-Mek and Joust, but that is my top 5.

Cheers,

Smeg

5. Q*Bert

I'm good at it.

People would crowd around when I got to the higher levels.

It's fun for it's puzzle elements.

The sound effects are awesome. Even putting a quarter in.

I still think he says 'shit' sometimes when he dies.

4. Space Invaders

And here's why. It was the first Video Game I ever saw.

It had to be 1978 or 1979. I was 7 or 8 and I had to go grocery shopping with my mom all the time.

I hated it as every 7 or 8 year old does. Then, one day, right there in Waldbaums was this magic thing making crazy

'Jaws-ish' noises. Kids huddled around it like it was handing out free candy. I will never forget the moment when I saw

it for the first time. The screen, the sound, the rainbow glass, the buttons. My love affair with video games started right

there in the Waldbaum's Grocery Store. For me, Space Invaders started it all.

3. Star Wars

Being a Star Wars fan and 12 years old, this was just it. I WAS Luke Skywalker.

The sound was always SO LOUD. I thought I was the only person in the world that knew the trick

to 'using the force'. Also, this game was in the Showcase Pizza that was attached to Rollerland.

In between 'skate sessions' my friends and I would eat the bad pizza and throw crazy cash at arcade games

until the next session started. Memories of skating 'couples' with girls, first kisses, best friends when you're 12, and Star Wars in

the arcade tie it all together nicely for me.

Thanks to Curt Vendel, I am the proud owner of a Star Wars Cab too. (Thanks again Curt...)

2. Tempest

See #1 Galaga for the adrenaline factor. It works for this game too. Tempest must have made a fortune in its day.

I love the continue factor. Make it a few more levels and you can start that much higher. Die on that level and it pushes you back

a little. Absolute pure brilliance for addiction. I don't even want to think about how much of my allowance went into that one. Thank Buddah for MAME.

1. Galaga

Yes, I own it, but I own it because it's my favorite. Such an adrenaline rush to this day.

I have played it a thousand times now, and once you get to stage 12 and up you are just playing

on pure adrenaline. In the 20's and 30's you have no knowledge of the world around you.

Don't ask me about the 40's and up because even though I have owned it for years, I have yet to see level 40.

I don't know if I can stop at 5...... ;)

Berzerk, Skramble, Missile Command, Stargate(aka Defender II), Donkey Kong, Time Pilot, Super Pac-Man, Gauntlet, and APB.

I know, I know....but I spent SO much money in those games, each was great in it's own right, and I was very good at most of them.

I almost forgot to ad my top 5......

1 - Crazy Climber

Best use of dual joysticks ever. Period.

2 - Dragons Lair

Nothing came close to the impact this game made at my local Chuck e Cheese....nothing. There was always a line.

3 - Double Dragon

The teamwork could make two complete strangers best friends while playing this one, great game!

4 - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

I actually felt like I was Indiana while I played this game, probably the all time winner for getting the most of my quarters :D

5 - Street fighter 2

This was an end of an era for me, seems like after the Street fighter boom the arcades in my area all sort of vanished. The last memories of going to arcades with my friends were the Street Fighter 2 days.

These could always change though, it's really hard to pick just 5!

3. Space Invaders, Atari It sorta started every good game avaliable, Shooters.

Any other oppions?

Space Invaders is by Taito not Atari.

Asteroids (Atari)-- this and Space Invaders/Pheonix were the first games I played. I still love this game.

Sinistar (Williams) -- I loved this crazy game back in the day, you gotta love a machine that beckons you to play and then insults you throughout the game " run coward!!! "

Paperboy (Atari Games)- here is another game loved back in the day. provided many hundreds of hours of stoned amusement in the late 80's

Galaga (Namco) - I still get caught up in this game for hours

Ms. Pac Man (Namco)- Pac Man and Ms Pac Man are awesome games, ms pac was a little better and one the best of all time.

holy shit there are so many classics RObotron, Battlezone, Centipede, Tempest, Bezerk/Frenzy, Stargate, Donkey Kong, Gauntlet, to name just a few but the above 5 were my favorites when arcade games were played in the arcade!!!

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Arcades only, eh? Gameplay only or importance to the genre?

I'd say my tastes are not all mainstream. Mostly driven by nostalgia.....

5. Ms. Pac continues to be profitable today. Thats staying power and counts in a top 5 to me.

4. Robotron still works me over. Love that game

3. Night Driver cockpit. Seriously, its just lines but you get into the zone.

2. Star Wars cockpit. Not the same in standup. Have to have it all around you.

1. I can't actually pick one for number 1....thought I could until I started typing.

Possible number ones for me would be Bump N Jump, Tempest, Centipede, Reactor, EDOT or even straight Tron.

The problem for me gets into "do I love it" or "do I remember loving it". I don't know which is which sometimes. Wild Western was a love of mine but then when I had one I never played the thing. Same with Jungle King. As for importance, Pong, Space Invaders, Pac Man, Tron and Pole Position would be my 5. True love of the game, see above (as best I can separate then and now).

C

Let's see 5 games that I really like at the arcade: (in no particular order)

1. Tron - The cycle screen is classic, and there is so much varied gameplay for an early game.

2. Food Fight - This gets fast and I love the replays.

3. Tutankan - I love the huge sword on the machine and the mechanics/strategy of only firing two ways.

4. Gauntlet (the original) - The haunting "elf needs food badly"

5. Tempest - so unique and addictive

Here`s my list-

1. Defender, Williams electronics, inc. 1980-Started the Video Game era.(AND since no more great games were made, started the crash...?)(My dad owns this, I beat him 128K-127K points the other day, then the next game I got 350k!)

Any other oppions?

That's cool that you are into Defender as it's a great game :) I notice that you gave Stargate an honorable mention. Myself I prefer Stargate since it's sort of like a deluxe version of Defender, and the game has SO MANY customizable options...In fact it is one of my favorite video games PERIOD. :cool:

My problem is that I was always crap at arcade games in the 80's. So these are pretty much the ones I got reasonably good at, so enjoyed the most. These are also the ones I'd love to own. :D

1. Galaxian (believe it or not, I don't think I've EVER seen a Galaga machine - so Galaxian was the first 'space invaders' type game I became any good at. Was total pants at the original Space Invaders for some reason).

2. Star Wars (Starts getting a bit crazy after a few levels but so easy to get into).

3. Gauntlet (I dumped coins into this like the world was about to end)

4. Robotron (There was just something so special about this game and its control system).

5. Berzerk (okay, I wasn't that good at it but it was just so damned cool).

You know, I never actually saw a Tempest arcade machine. I would love to try the arcade version one day. I loved the Jag version. Here are my top 5. At least at the moment.

1. Asteroids

2. Klax

3. Paperboy

4. Star Wars

5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I remember really digging Tapper, 4th and Inches, Pac Man, Punchout and Centipede to name a few more. I miss the old arcades. I have to take a road trip to FunSpot one of these days.

I know I did my list, but I was just reminded of Super Sprint.

In high school, my friends and I would go to the mall arcade everyday after school and play this game.

Race against each other and build up our cars for a good hour.

The other game we played all the time was Pinball Funhouse (but that is a different catagory...)

80's arcade games are the best. What a wonderfully unique time in which just about everyone was putting quarters into these things!

My top five:

1. Star Wars

2. Missile Command

3. Pac-Man

4. Robotron: 2084

5. Donkey Kong

Much to my wife's chagrin, I actually have my top two. And a MAME cabinet that plays the other three very well, as well as hundreds of others. :-)

1 - Crazy Climber

Best use of dual joysticks ever. Period.

Heh. With your name here, I can't say I'm surprised you picked my number 1. For me, though I wasn't very good at it, I still loved playing Crazy Climber. It's one of those games, (like Galaga) when I get in a rhythm, it's so much fun. Never saw the top of the second building, tho.

1. Galaxian (believe it or not, I don't think I've EVER seen a Galaga machine).

Wow, that is surprising to me. I've seen Galaga in the seediest bars, convenience stores in the middle of nowhere and pretty much every arcade I've ever gone to. They even had one at this year's Common Ground Festival here in Lansing Michigan (it's a week-long concert event), under a tent with the Dance Dance games. If an establishment has only one machine, it tends to be galaga. But nowadays, I play it at home with my PS2. Not quite the same, but still fun.

As for Galaxian, it's weird. I got so used to playing the much-easier 8-bit version called Galactic Chase that I can't play the real Galaxian... it's too hard.

Cheers,

Smeg

I know I did my list, but I was just reminded of Super Sprint.

In high school, my friends and I would go to the mall arcade everyday after school and play this game.

Race against each other and build up our cars for a good hour.

I can relate but it was Super Off Road for me, I liked it so much I bought one :)