IGNORED

TOP 5 BEST arcade games EVER

GreenDayRlz

My personal top 5:

1. Defender. This is one of the most intense, impossible, and plain addicting games ever made. It *must* be played on a real arcade cab. It's the greatest shooter ever made. It also looks awesome sitting next to my couch :evil:

2. Xevious. Another awesome shooter. Very unpredictable and challenging. I can play this one for hours.

3. Gyruss. Yet another great shooter with a fantastic premise, and the best coin-op music of all time.

4. Moon Cresta. It predates Galaga, but it has more variety and VASTLY more challenging. In fact, it's probably one of the hardest games ever made. Fun too! I just scored a tabletop cab in mint shape. Between that and defender, my ego is getting rather deflated

5. Gravitar. Beautiful color vector graphics, and enogh challenge to keep you interested for forever. I'd love to own one of these.

Edited by Lord Thag

Chiller #1 ALL TIME

Star Wars TAG

Stargate

Operation Wolf

Terminator 1 & 2

Area 51

Double Dragon

Tron (with the multple games if there was more than 1 Tron)

Yea I guess I really Liked SHOOTING things but I never really noticed that before LOL! :)

And I would never hold a real gun nor want to.

A Pellet gun maybe but thats about as far as Id want to go with guns.

Looking back on my fondness for Shooters, Im actually astounded I dont want a real gun.

Maybe I seen enough damage done in the cyber world lol! ;)

Edited by Phantom

Top 5:

tempest

tron

donkey kong

Robotron

R Type

Next 5:

Galaga

mrs pacman

defender

vanguard

phoenix

top 5

1. tempest - truly an awesome game. finally got one a month ago, and play it nonstop

2. super pac-man - like regular pac but a lot cooler. harder to master.

3. satan's hollow - just awesome, the lit up controller is sweet too.

4. wizard of wor - awesome two player game, haven't yet seen a port that's as good as the arcade.

5. 2084 - dual joysticks and awesome color. a crazy game.

so far i only have #1 and #2. if anyone knows of the others for sale in the denver area, let me know. :)

The seeds that planted when I was most fertile :

Galaga

Tron

Empire Strikes Back (sit-down)

Rush-N-Attack

Spy Hunter

In honor of my Dad, I've got to give Ms. Pac-Man an honorable mention. It was the ONLY game he played, but he always made it to double & triple Junior stage. He got more value out of a quarter than my depression-era grandparents.

• 4 months later...

Picking five isn't easy as it varies from time to time depending on my mood. Right now I'd say:

Bubble Bobble

Arkanoid - Revenge Of Doh

Shao-lin's Road

Out Run

Tutankham

Any of these five could appear in that list though:

Gyruss

Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Marble Madness

Lady Bug

Gauntlet

Whew! That was harder than I thought.

I would have to admit that choosing just five was very difficult for me. The way I determined the order was by how much money I sank into each machine back in the day.

1) Galaga

2) Gyruss

3) Tron

4) Wizard of Wor

5) Yie Ar Kung-Fu (yes, I know this is an odd choice, but I love this game)

Honorable mentions goto Robotron 2084 and Gauntlet. :D

Hmmm.......Well, sorry I took so long 2 get back on.

I don`t understand it!

ROBOTRON?!

Ok, it IS an AWSOME game, but Not as good as Defender,DK,Tempest(This game is wicked, let me mention) or many others.

I don`t understand, but there is alot of different picks.

Also-for the 2 that said I gave SG an honorable mention- I don`t think it is as good as defender because it is just 2 mixed up.

Now defender 3, thats different...

Defender 3 being Midway Strikeforce ?

Hmmm.......Well, sorry I took so long 2 get back on.

I don`t understand it!

ROBOTRON?!

Ok, it IS an AWSOME game, but Not as good as Defender,DK,Tempest(This game is wicked, let me mention) or many others.

I don`t understand, but there is alot of different picks.

Also-for the 2 that said I gave SG an honorable mention- I don`t think it is as good as defender because it is just 2 mixed up.

Now defender 3, thats different...

Defender 3 being Midway Strikeforce ?

I'm pretty sure GreenDayRlz is referring to a joke page that used to be up on KLOV about the "unreleased" sequel to Stargate supposeddly found in some dude's garage with like 20 buttons and 100 enemies on the screen at the same time or something like that. Pretty freaking hilarious, but I can't seem to find it anymore...

That said,

1. Tempest

2. Red Baron

3. Tron

4. Asteroids Deluxe

5. Major Havoc (Never saw one back in the day, but what a cool game. Too bad I really suck at it.)

• 4 months later...

I don't know about best, but these are my favorites:

1. Star Wars Arcade - being a Star Wars geek, it was natural for me to love this one when I was a kid anyway. But more than that, it was simply an astounding game for the time. It really did a good job of putting you into the X-Wing cockpit, and the vector graphics still blow me away today.

2. Centipede - if I could own just 1 arcade cab, it'd be this one. Playing it on my 2600 as well as the Xbox Live arcade port is fun, but nothing can replace actually playing it with a trackball. Addicting.

3. Street Fighter II - couldn't say which version; either Super SFII or Championship Edition. Whatever. It's still the best 2D fighting game ever and a game for some serious competition.

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - the 1989 beat-'em-up, I mean. I played that SO much back in the day, it could be said that no other arcade game ate more of my quarters, and few were more deserving of them. Absolute blast to play.

5. Gauntlet - like TNMT, more multiplayer action to be had. I like playing the Amazon. This game can be quite intense and really is a bore to play alone, which probably explains why I don't play it that much anymore.

I've only one favorite, Daytona USA. I've played this more than any other arcade game. Realtime texture mapped graphics where great! At its time I found it the coolest game on earth. It was very different from games you could play on your console. It was so great that I was completly dissapointed by the graphics from the Playstation 1...