Photo

The Debate For Our Age

19 replies to this topic

Poll: The Debate For Our Age (103 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you choose?

1. Cinematic Titanic (4 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

2. The Film Crew (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. MST3K.com (4 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

4. Rifftrax (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. All (or at least most) of 'em. The more the merrier! (11 votes [10.68%])

Percentage of vote: 10.68%

6. None. It's real MST3K or nothing! (25 votes [24.27%])

Percentage of vote: 24.27%

7. Huh? What you talkin' 'bout Willis? (59 votes [57.28%])

Percentage of vote: 57.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rhindle The Red OFFLINE  

Rhindle The Red

River Patroller

• 2,841 posts
  • His roar is long and loud.

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:04 PM

Okay, really just for the MST3K fans out there.

For those of you not in the know, the legacy of classic TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000 has gotten very interesting of late.

First, Mike Nelson started doing funny commentaries for DVD releases from Legend Films (like the one I worked on, Plan 9 From Outer Space).

Then, he teamed up with Legend to create Rifftrax, a web site where you could download commentaries for commercially released DVDs like Road House. Eventually other MST3K alums like Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett joined him, making the audio tracks quite MST3K-like. (www.rifftrax.com)

Next, Mike, Kevin and Bill took their "Film Crew" project (that had mainly provided introductions to movies and DVD) and created a set of DVDs that even featured a sort of plot - very MST3K, indeed. (www.thefilmcrew.com)

Then, the double whammy:

It is announced that MST3K.com was going back into the hands of Jim Mallon and Best Brains and will feature new animations featuring the Bots (but with new voices - except for Jim returning to voice Gypsy).

Then, MST3K creator and original host Joel Hodgeson announced his new project Cinematic Titanic, a riffing venture in which he is joined by original cast members/writers Trace Beaulieu and Josh (J. Elvis) Weinstein, as well as Frank (TV's Frank) Conniff) and Mary Jo (Mrs. Forrester) Pehl. (www.cinematictitanic.com)

Whew! That's a lot of product without an honest-to-goodness new episode in sight!

So, whaddya think, sirs?

(BTW, I listed the Film Crew and Rifftrax seperately because they are very different product lines.)

#2 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4*****

• 5,655 posts
  • (Bubsy Bobcat fan)

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:36 PM

Mystery Science theater happened in a time when I was thousands of miles away and having to do a job I was not crazy about. But I was stuck for a year.. and then I saw this show and saw the main character was in the same boat. I then wondered what it would take to make robot friends, but oh well....

... If there was ever a chance to pull together the original crew, I would be there, but otherwise, I support about anything that debunks movies, including some of the "abridged" series snoofing a lot of anime on YouTube. The more the merrier!!

#3 joeybastard OFFLINE  

joeybastard

The hottest thing from the North to come out of the South

• 12,220 posts
  • Lover of All American Burgers

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:06 PM

I tried some of the new stuff like Rifftrax. It's just not as good. Real MST3K as it appeared on Comedy Central and the Sci-fi Channel or nothing!

#4 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 25,011 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:19 PM

I liked MST3K with Joel Hodgeson as the main character and Trace Beaulieu as Crow T. Robot/Dr. Clayton Forrester and Kevin Murphy as Tom Servo and Mike Nelson around the edges. I did not like it when Joel Hodgeson and Trace Beaulieu left the show. I liked Mike Nelson's peripheral characters, but he sucked as the main guy.

If you had MST3K with Joel Hodgeson and Trace Beaulieu as Crow/Forrester, I'd vote for that one. I did not like MST3K with Mike Nelson and Mary Jo Pehl.

Crow T. Robot was my favorite character and he wasn't as good after Trace Beaulieu left the show. Kind of how Kermit the Frog wasn't as good after Jim Henson died.

#5 joeybastard OFFLINE  

joeybastard

• 12,220 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:28 PM

I like most of the Mike lead episodes better. They are just funnier to me and the volume of the movies/robot dialog is much better balanced. On the Joel episodes, I can always hear the riffing clearly but can barely hear the movie underneath. On Mike episodes I don't have a problem hearing either.

Edited by joeybastard, Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:28 PM.

#6 Shawn Sr. OFFLINE  

Shawn Sr.

Atardid

• 13,151 posts

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:54 PM

None. It's real MST3K or nothing!

#7 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,006 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 PM

While I like some of the newer stuff (especially Mike Nelson's night of the living dead commentary), I vastly prefer the original. The robots and the insane plots just made it funny. I didn't mind mike as the main star, as his commentary is pretty biting, sarcastic, and funny, but Joel was better as the front man.

Still, 'Space Mutiny' is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and it was a Mike show.

Hopefully some of the new stuff will gel and we'll get some real MST3k. The robots made it. Bring 'em back!

Edited by Lord Thag, Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:48 PM.

#8 Atari5200 OFFLINE  

Atari5200

River Patroller

• 2,112 posts

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:06 AM

Gypsy was annoying as hell.

#9 82atari5200 OFFLINE  

82atari5200

Moonsweeper

• 475 posts
  • Destroyer of Eproms

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:21 PM

While I like some of the newer stuff (especially Mike Nelson's night of the living dead commentary), I vastly prefer the original. The robots and the insane plots just made it funny. I didn't mind mike as the main star, as his commentary is pretty biting, sarcastic, and funny, but Joel was better as the front man.

Still, 'Space Mutiny' is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and it was a Mike show.

Hopefully some of the new stuff will gel and we'll get some real MST3k. The robots made it. Bring 'em back!

Rod Stiffwell... Space Mutiny had me rolling. Manos the Hands of Fate had to be the greatest. Original MST3K for me. Didn't care for it when it was on the
sci-fi channel.

#10 joeybastard OFFLINE  

joeybastard

• 12,220 posts

Posted Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:59 PM

"Space Mutiny" and "Horror of Spider Island"(both Mike hosted) are two the funniest episodes of the entire series, IMHO.

#11 kroogur OFFLINE  

kroogur

Stargunner

• 1,692 posts
  • Ever have one of those days?

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:19 PM

Don't forget Giant Spider Invasion with the VW Bug dressed up as a spider and of course "Packers Whooooo!" :rolling:

and Space Mutiny was great too with the dashing hero Beef Slabsides! :lol:

#12 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,669 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:11 PM

On the Joel episodes, I can always hear the riffing clearly but can barely hear the movie underneath. On Mike episodes I don't have a problem hearing either.

See, I have the opposite impression. It always appeareed to me tha Mike was mumbling through his stuff, whereas I thought thwe colvume was perfect on the JOel eps.

I always liked the Joel/Trace/Kevin trifecta more, tho my favorite ep is an early MIke ep -- "Danger: Death Ray" (Ba ba da da da daaaaa). Tho a close second is Santa Conqers the Martians (Which I am happy to say that I own an un msted copy of), and the Hersechell Gordon Lewis classic, "Monster -a-go-go"

#13 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

• 23,669 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:26 PM

Just a thought, what is the current relationship status between all the principles... Is there animosity between Jim / Joel / Mike?

#14 Lonely Mountain Hermit OFFLINE  

Lonely Mountain Hermit

Chopper Commander

• 193 posts

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:31 PM

Best line in Space Mutiny: "Calgon blow me away." :)

Oh...mst3k all the way!

#15 mos6507 OFFLINE  

mos6507

River Patroller

• 4,874 posts

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2008 1:46 AM

Sorry, Elvira was the true innovator, and will always be the best at this sort of thing.

#16 Rhindle The Red OFFLINE  

Rhindle The Red

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,841 posts
  • His roar is long and loud.

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:04 AM

Sorry, Elvira was the true innovator, and will always be the best at this sort of thing.

First, Elvira did a very different thing, introducing and interrupting the movies, but not actually interacting with them. Also, she served specifically as a host, with very little in the way of characters, stories, etc.

Second, she was hardly the first "macabre" movie host and copped much of her schtick from Vampira.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Elvira. She's a lot of fun. But it's really apples and oranges comparing her to MST3K.

#17 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

• 23,669 posts

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2008 12:37 PM

Second, she was hardly the first "macabre" movie host and copped much of her schtick from Vampira.

Let's also not forget that Vampira sued (unsuccessfully) Elvira for her act. And there are local horror hosts that have been around longer / earlier than Elvira. Chicago's Svengoolie and Screaming Yellow Theater for one.

#18 Miss 2600 OFFLINE  

Miss 2600

River Patroller

• 2,357 posts

Posted Sun Jun 6, 2010 4:53 PM

I'm with the majority. I have no idea what this poll is about :ponder:

#19 OldSchoolRetroGamer OFFLINE  

OldSchoolRetroGamer

River Patroller

• 4,027 posts
  • Do you FEEL in charge?

Posted Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:30 PM

I am a huge MST3K Fan, I love all the choices but the original is best. I think I liked Mike over Joel myself. I watch MST3K still almost daily on JustinTV or WinAmp, I cannot get enough! Glad to see there are fans here too!

#20 Megaman Legends OFFLINE  

Megaman Legends

Moonsweeper

• 278 posts

Posted Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:41 PM

Wha?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users