IGNORED

Adventure II gameplay thread

Jess Ragan

I looked for Adventure II threads but couldn't find any pertaining to the actual game... they were typically pre-release discussions about how excited people were about a new release for the Atari 5200. So now that the game's been out for a while, this is your opportunity to share your opinion about this long-awaited sequel to an Atari classic.

Personally, I found the game to be a little confusing, although to be fair I haven't spent much time with it. However, I can say authoritatively that the graphics are incredible, rivaling early NES efforts with its outstanding use of color and detail. Also, the goodies included with the game are a lot of fun, particularly the golden key (wonder if it unlocks anything?) and the instruction manual with its sly reference to Intellivision schill George Plimpton.

So what are your thoughts? Please respond only if you've played Adventure II or at the very least, the demo versions offered on Cafeman's web site.

Edited by Jess Ragan

I really love this game, though on the larger variations I tend to get a little lost. Adventure 2 really feels like a real sequel to the classic 2600 game.

I haven't played in a while, and I still have lots of exploring to do. If I could add anything to the game it would be a sub screen that had some sort of map (at least showing where you had already been). It would also be really cool if you could save your location in the game somehow and come back to it later, though this is only really needed for the larger variations.

One thing that I noticed while playing is that the dragons are not as relentless as they are on the 2600, but they are tougher to kill on the 5200.

I really like being able to switch sides w/ the sword - it make fighting the dragons much more fun. The variety of skill levels adds a ton of replaybility (I've only gotten through Intermediate). Graphically it's a tour de force for the 5200 - really amazing stuff. The 'night forest' is pretty creepy.

... the instruction manual with its sly reference to Intellivision schill George Plimpton.

Don't you mean, Intellivision TROLL George Plimpton? :) :D :D I'm glad somebody FINALLY mentioned that!

There is only one screen upon which you can build a bridge and it is fairly obvious and I think there is even a clue in the manual. The screen with an unreachable island - sometimes you will notice the gold key hidden upon it. Drag a wood plank to that screen. Heck, its so fun, you'd better drag a couple wood planks!

I think its the perfect sequel to the Atari 2600 version. I have beat all the variations and I can pretty much run through all the mazes with no real problem now. Has anyone found the easter eggs? Like the bat dropplings or whatever that $hit is?

Yeah,

I've found one so far. On the Ice level (on the way to the white castle) there's a closed in area & when you have the sword you can see where the bat egg is. It looks just like the dot you pick up in the 1st adv. to see Robbinet's credits. once you pick it up.... well, I'll let you find out what happens. I guess there's 3 of them throughout the game.

So far I've only made it through 17 gametypes. I'll post my complete thoughts on it in a few days!

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray! I got one bat egg from the ice maze, and I finally figured out how to build the bridge to the small island. The red dragon is TERRIFYING! I just played on game 2, so I could see all the castles. I'm doing 'em one at a time, for reasons unknown to me. Anybody else like to flail the sword back and forth and watch it move slowly further away at random intervals? Spinning blades of DEATH. Or some such. Haha.

I found two of the three bat eggs. The first is in the ice kingdom in the rectangular, hedged off area like another poster stated. I found another in the hedge maze - there is an Atari logo shaped hedge, the egg is located in the middle bar towards the base.

You need the bridge to get it. As for the third egg, no sign of it yet but I found this clue online: "the 3rd can only be found in one the largest vast K3 courtyard screens, and you'll need bridge or flight assistance to get to it."

I take "courtyard" to mean the castle exterior view and have tried the Ice and Fire Castles but can't see anything.

Any ideas?

I found two of the three bat eggs. The first is in the ice kingdom in the rectangular, hedged off area like another poster stated. I found another in the hedge maze - there is an Atari logo shaped hedge, the egg is located in the middle bar towards the base.

You need the bridge to get it. As for the third egg, no sign of it yet but I found this clue online: "the 3rd can only be found in one the largest vast K3 courtyard screens, and you'll need bridge or flight assistance to get to it."

I take "courtyard" to mean the castle exterior view and have tried the Ice and Fire Castles but can't see anything.

Any ideas?

First of all, welcome Kenobi575 -- I don't think I've seen you around AtariAge forums before. Congrats on finding 2 bat eggs; but you've misinterpreted which screen is a "courtyard" screen, so I clarified the clue online a bit. (Check the site again). http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200d...dventureII.html

I've tried every courtyard screen in all four castles and there is no egg, I put the bridge over each tapestry and scaled the walls but nothing. I reread the clue and thought it referred to another, walled off courtyard. So I searched but found nothing.

Am I correct in believing that there are two courtyard screens in the white/ice castle, three in the black/fire castle, one in the seashore castle and one in the green castle?

I've tried every courtyard screen in all four castles and there is no egg, I put the bridge over each tapestry and scaled the walls but nothing. I reread the clue and thought it referred to another, walled off courtyard. So I searched but found nothing.

Am I correct in believing that there are two courtyard screens in the white/ice castle, three in the black/fire castle, one in the seashore castle and one in the green castle?

Answer: in *some* variations' mazes, your belief is true. ;)

All the eggs are easier to see if there is a creature on the screen, such as the troll. Maybe if there are several items on screen, it will make the egg more visible too - I can't remember. The "3rd one", the one I believe nobody has found yet, may be the hardest to spot at first because of the graphics surrounding it. Maybe you can't really "see it" just by looking. If you think you have reached the screen where it exists, I suggest roaming around back-n-forth, "feeling" you way across the floor.

You cut a wood plank out of the logs in the Seashore Kingdom, by touching the sword to a log, and holding still for a brief moment. Just go back to a screen with logs and make another. And another.

All the eggs are easier to see if there is a creature on the screen, such as the troll. Maybe if there are several items on screen, it will make the egg more visible too - I can't remember. The "3rd one", the one I believe nobody has found yet, may be the hardest to spot at first because of the graphics surrounding it. Maybe you can't really "see it" just by looking. If you think you have reached the screen where it exists, I suggest roaming around back-n-forth, "feeling" you way across the floor.

Just got my highest ranking "Chalice Master"! Haven't been able to get through a game without dying beyond 12. Have made it through all levels of difficulty multiple times though.

Was able to get egg one & quickly get to egg 2 b4 changing back. Now if I can only find that elusive 3rd egg (I'm assuming one needs to get all 3 b4 changing back to have the desired effect?). Also, I haven't been able to consistently find that "secret" room. I'll keep you posted.

Peace

I was wondering - has ANYBODY found all three bat eggs? And adding on that, has anybody found the REAL secret after finding all three bat eggs? ANybody find the dragon trap that the manual mentions?

It's been awhile since I played, but I thought I remembered finding the dragon trap. I don't remember the three eggs being part of the trap though. Were they?

** SPOILER BELOW **

What I remember was getting a dragon to chase me into the Ice Castle and I'd have him chase me into a particular room where he would get slain immediately. Again it was awhile ago. Is this actually what I remember or was this just some weird dream?

One thing that I never understood was a particular room in the Ice Castle. There was a special courtyard room or whatever you call it that you had to use the bridge to get to. I tried every combination of things I could think of in that room, but never figured out what it's use was. I figured you put it in there for some reason, but I never did figure out what that reason was. :|

Doug