IGNORED

Adventure II gameplay thread

Jess Ragan

Don't sweat it, man. I think you exceeded anyone's expectations for the Atari 5200. Besides, shouldn't the Adventure guy always be a square? I remember talking to Russ Perry Jr. about this many moons ago, and he told me that if the series ever went 3D, they'd just change him from a square to a cube!

• 6 months later...

Ihatethebears,

I don't have an adapter of any kind (i.e. redemption or master) but if the fire button on a standard CX26 controller inputed through an adapter would initiate the "strike with the sword" action, then you should be able to play the game effectively (the 2nd button only switches sides of the item in use).

Peace

Ihatethebears,

I don't have an adapter of any kind (i.e. redemption or master) but if the fire button on a standard CX26 controller inputed through an adapter would initiate the "strike with the sword" action, then you should be able to play the game effectively (the 2nd button only switches sides of the item in use).

Peace

Well I tried it. The answer is - partially.

Unfortunately, the button on the 2600 joystick controls the direction of the item you're carrying. So unless that troll bumps me, or I grab a different object, I can't drop any item I'm carrying.

I recently purchased a 5200 system. One joystick doesn't seem to work at all. The other one has one button that doesn't work.

I also just purchased ADVENTURE II for the 5200. The game requires use of both buttons. The button that doesn't work is the one that I would use to drop items. So obviously I've got a major problem.

I'm real ignorant in my 5200 knowledge. So can someone explain to me abou the Wico stick? According to the database here, I also need a keypad thing to go with it. The prices for both seem to be ridiculously high though.

Does anyone know whether or not I can play ADVENTURE II with just the Wico joystick? That seems to cost enough on its own. But at least it's a lot cheaper than getting both it and the keypad together. But can I do some of the basic things that are necessary - like starting the game and so on? ADVENTURE II appears to have options that require the keypad for use. Would I be better off simply trying to get replacement parts for my non-functioning 5200 controllers?

Does the "Y-cord" plug into the 5200 controller, thus eliminating the need for the keypad?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(I posted this elswhere also. I realize it' a double post. But I thought people in this thread might have some knowledge on this subject as well.)

Edited by IHATETHEBEARS

I would recommend getting some controller replacement parts from Best Electronics. I prefer using the Wico stick on just about all 5200 games but Adventure 2 is one of the exceptions. Cafeman really utilized the CX-52's feel in this game & the 2nd button on the wico is very small & awkward to use IMO. buying the new flex circuit & fire buttons (I would also buy a new keypad) will cost you about 1/6th the price of a good wico with y cable. Just my two cents.

Peace

I would recommend getting some controller replacement parts from Best Electronics. I prefer using the Wico stick on just about all 5200 games but Adventure 2 is one of the exceptions. Cafeman really utilized the CX-52's feel in this game & the 2nd button on the wico is very small & awkward to use IMO. buying the new flex circuit & fire buttons (I would also buy a new keypad) will cost you about 1/6th the price of a good wico with y cable. Just my two cents.

Peace

I agree 100% Just yesterday I was playing with my masterplay and a coleco gemini controlelr that I modified to have a 2nd button for the 5200. It was no where near as good as using the stock 5200 controller. Cafeman did an excellent job on the controls.

Peace

I think I'm going to go with the Wico. I've had 28 years of playing with the Atari 2600 joystick. It's what I'm used to. I've spent a grand total of maybe 20 minutes with a 5200 joystick. And I don't really care for it. So I don't have any feel for it.

I figure as long as I begin playing 5200 games with the Wico, I will not know what the regular 5200 joystick should feel like. Hopefully Adventure II will be the same.

I'm sending for my Wico tomorrow. And I can't wait to put in some hours on this game!

Peace

I think I'm going to go with the Wico. I've had 28 years of playing with the Atari 2600 joystick. It's what I'm used to. I've spent a grand total of maybe 20 minutes with a 5200 joystick. And I don't really care for it. So I don't have any feel for it.

I figure as long as I begin playing 5200 games with the Wico, I will not know what the regular 5200 joystick should feel like. Hopefully Adventure II will be the same.

I'm sending for my Wico tomorrow. And I can't wait to put in some hours on this game!

Yeah, if you haven't acquired a feel for the cx-52, then you won't know what you're missing. The Wico 5200 is probably my favorite overall controller for any system ever. You made sure you got a y-cable right?

Cafeman, thanks for the screenshot. Very interesting to see how much the game changed from early concept to final game. Can't wait for your next game!

Peace

You know, I never bought one of AA's 5200 Redemption adaptors before Al stopped making them, but the one that allowed a person to use a Genesis pad and actually have 2 buttons work seemed to be a great idea. Sometimes I plug in a Genesis pad into my Masterplay Interface, but that 2nd button on the wire is trouble. I tried to stick the button onto the Genesis with "fun-tack" stuff, but it always gets loose and falls off in the middle of a game. :(

Peace

Yeah, if you haven't acquired a feel for the cx-52, then you won't know what you're missing. The Wico 5200 is probably my favorite overall controller for any system ever. You made sure you got a y-cable right?

Cafeman, thanks for the screenshot. Very interesting to see how much the game changed from early concept to final game. Can't wait for your next game!

Peace

Yep, I got the controller and the Y-cable for $50.00. Seemed like a reasonable price after seeing what the boxed ones are going for on Ebay.

You know, I never bought one of AA's 5200 Redemption adaptors before Al stopped making them, but the one that allowed a person to use a Genesis pad and actually have 2 buttons work seemed to be a great idea. Sometimes I plug in a Genesis pad into my Masterplay Interface, but that 2nd button on the wire is trouble. I tried to stick the button onto the Genesis with "fun-tack" stuff, but it always gets loose and falls off in the middle of a game. :(

That's why I always shied away from forking out the $ for a Masterplay. Your post just confirms my resistance.

I always wanted to plug my 7800 Europad into one of those Redemptions. I have a feeling it would work pretty sweet.

Peace

Yeah, the genesis or 7800 that lets you use 2 buttons would rock. Right now I have a coleco gemini (2600 clone) joystick that I insalled a 2nd button in and use that with my master play. I actually like that controller and it works perfectly, but I find myself using the stock 5200 most on the time anyway. I find it one of the most playable controllers out there. Much better than my Intellisvsion or Coleco Vision system controllers.

• 5 years later...

Anyone know which variant of the game has the easter eggs? We moved recently and I don't have clue where the manual is.

There are 3 hidden dots. 2 of them are in every game variation. The 3rd on is seen on level 9, and any other level that has the vast ice castle maze. Is that what you mean?

can I get them in any order? I can't get a dragon into the dragon trap room. I entered the ice maze with the yellow dragon following but I went down and before I could go left I got cornered. It is just not possible. Could someone pm me screenshots of the easter eggs?