IGNORED

I cant believe it...The Hyperscan lives on!

swlovinist

Hey all,

Been awhile since I've posted but I've got one of the HyperScan systems and found a bunch of the X-men and Ben-10 booster packs at my local Wal-Marts, Austintown, OH & Warren, OH, for $ .50! Yes that's fifty cents! I think I'll check the Wal-Mart in Boardman, OH too. They may still have the boosters as well. I think the extra controllers were a $1.00 or $1.50, I found a box with the price sticker on it but the controller was gone. Check out your Wal-Marts if you live in Northeastern Ohio. I'll have to check Toys R Us for the Spiderman game too. Never saw that one before. I would be nice if someone would do other games for the system but I don't know how far they would get. It doesn't have a big following and died a quick death in the videogame market. Doom! on the HyperScan! That I've got to see. :D

Rich

Hey all,

Been awhile since I've posted but I've got one of the HyperScan systems and found a bunch of the X-men and Ben-10 booster packs at my local Wal-Marts, Austintown, OH & Warren, OH, for $ .50! Yes that's fifty cents! I think I'll check the Wal-Mart in Boardman, OH too. They may still have the boosters as well. I think the extra controllers were a $1.00 or $1.50, I found a box with the price sticker on it but the controller was gone. Check out your Wal-Marts if you live in Northeastern Ohio. I'll have to check Toys R Us for the Spiderman game too. Never saw that one before. I would be nice if someone would do other games for the system but I don't know how far they would get. It doesn't have a big following and died a quick death in the videogame market. Doom! on the HyperScan! That I've got to see. :D

Rich

Just an update on the Boardman trip. They had a bunch of X-men and IWL boosters but they were all $5.00. They had not come down yet. I'll wait though. Can't be long 'till the price drops. They had a few IWL CD's and Hyperscan controllers too but those were $11.00 each. I didn't pay that much for the Hyperscan system! Ah well again I'll be patient and see if the prices come down, in the mean time I'll hit the other two Wal-Marts and see if I can find more cards or games.

Rich

Hey all,

I stopped in my local Toys R Us and got the IWL disk for $3.97 for my Hyperscan. It was 70% off from what I read in the flyer so I picked it up, they also had the Marvel Heroes disk, it was $7.97. No booster packs though. May check another Toys R Us in the area and see what I find. Can you run CD-R's, RW's, etc. on the Hyperscan? I know my music CD's work fine. I understand the USB port doesn't work on the system. Was it never hooked up? Why put it on the system if you never plan on hooking it up? Seems like a waste to me, but then again look at all the plugs on the old NES or Jaguar that you never use. I suppose they had a purpose at one time but later got axed to lower costs. I'll let you know about the other TRU later. See ya.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this in email-- well, it's been a couple of days:

This thread is located at:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/other-dis...e-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

I actually spoke to someone from SemiLogic this afternoon. It was unexpected that I'd recieve a call back, but I spoke directly to Glen Thompson! He's going to talk to the Producer of the HyperScan project. He's told him a few time that people are trying to get devkits, and if enough people are interested, there might be a chance! He couldn't really talk much about it do to an NDA, however, he gave my number to a few people that will hopefully be at liberty to discuss such items. I also asked about the usb port, and I should have a response hopefully soon.

• 4 weeks later...
Its actually way more powerful that a Playstation 1 -- and roughly half as powerful as a PS2.

And you base this on what...? The speed of the processor? I think there's more to it than that.

Based on the screenshots and videos it doesn't even look as powerful as a GBA let alone a PS1. :ponder:

Based on overall specs -- its way, way stronger than a Playstation 1:

Playstation 1 CPU:

R3000A 32bit RISC chip running at 33.8688 MHz

HyperScan CPU:

SunPlus S+ 32 Bit RISC chip clocked at 108 Mhz

Playstation 1 System Ram:

2 MB System Ram

1 MB Video Ram

HyperScan CPU:

16 MB System Ram

The S+ is a relatively unknown CPU. But it does have 3D capabilities that Mattel never incorporated into its games. As for benchmarks, the S+ CPU's performance is still unclear. The HyperScan's 2D games have far more detailed textures than any PS1 game I've ever seen. I believe the PS2 does have lots of games that look considerably better (Sony has much better developers), but the HyperScan does seem to come relatively close (for graphic detail) on a few HyperScan gems (Marvel Heros and Spiderman). I said its roughly half of a PS2 for this reason. HyperScan has 16MB of system Ram / PS2 has 32 MB. Although, the Emotion Engine is a far more sophisticated CPU (being 64/128 bit capable) versus a 32 Bit S+. So its kinda apples to oranges.

The HyperScan is strong enough to play MPEG4/Divx Videos, the Playstation 1 can't handle the processing load to manage that much video compression. There are a couple of people that have already hacked the existing HyperScan games by just renaming or changing the files on a CD. For example, I saw someone put Mortal Kombat skins onto the HyperScan X-Men game. The HyperScan CDs don't seem to have any copy protection. I know a few people working on the homebrew stuff for the system. These homebrewers have been able to communicate through the USB port on back with their computers. So if Mattel doesn't help them, they believe they can still do the homebrews -- it would just be more timeconsuming.

For a game console that debuted for $70 when new -- the capabilities are reasonably impressive. I mean, its $50 cheaper than a PS2. $180 cheaper than a Wii and 10% of the cost of the PS3. If Mattel game it some quality launch games -- it would have been a nice entry-level game console. I mean, what other system had new releases that debuted for $19..99?

and your right the other guy is a fewl

it blows the old psx away

I'm just curious, I've seen some interesting games "being worked on" for hyperscan, but is anybody really doing anything for it? I haven't seen too much serious discussion on the few forums that I've checked--at least nothing that made much sense to me.

I'm looking at a few on ebay, and they're nice and inexpensive, but IMO the v.flash seems *MUCH* more worthy of hacking.

I'll probably get one or the other in the next few days, since I'm feeling the need for a new system (that's not 'big three' branded). I know I'll eventually own them both, but not just yet.

Edited by Reaperman

• 6 months later...

Seven months later and there is MORE to report! The thread I started on my pet HS project at linuxforums has gone to SIXTEEN PAGES LONG and some serious development has taken place! I'm reading through, so far on page 11 and Gentoo Linux/ppcasm has done a LOT of research and we can thank HIM for all this!

New games are just around the corner, just have to keep on truckin. Also, if anyone here is interested in getting the coding tools and dev notes from there, you can, they are pretty much current.

Linux as we know it may not ever work on it, but linux apps will. Dammit, I think I am gonna take a few more programming classes just for this thing. Time to break the rig back out!!

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/other-dis...me-console.html

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome pic nathan!

The Mattel Hyperscan lives on? I thought it was discounied in 2008. And I do have a source to back that up, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperScan, and it cleary states that HyperScan game console was recently discontinued. So before you accuse me for talking out of my a*s, use the damn link!

Are you serious right now :roll: Read the thread before you be a smartass.

The Mattel Hyperscan lives on? I thought it was discounied in 2008. And I do have a source to back that up, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperScan, and it cleary states that HyperScan game console was recently discontinued. So before you accuse me for talking out of my a*s, use the damn link!

It *was* discontinued and this is a thread talking about making things for it... like new games and hardware to make it do things. I like it because it has no copy protection and games are thus easier to make (no special burning instructions, but I like to keep burning speeds about 16x).

I wanna make Star Wars vs Harry Potter on it, but that's a ways off, I know. I'll settle for a pretty cool Sonic port. Like... a new version of Sonic Retro Mega Mix! That would be pretty sweet.

Working on it... others more than I most times but I am still there.

And I have the t-shirt, HA!

Nathan

Aww, I wanna Tshirt darnit? I'd sport that evvery day...well, maybe not, but it'd still be cool.

Can't wait to see msoe homebrew comeing out for this thing in the future.

Unfortunately its been slow lately. ppcasm and I have been busy and have not had time to work with the HS for a while :(

I wish more people were interested in programming this thing!

Hey, sport, I got news for ya: the Atari 2600 was discontinued almost 20 years ago and yet there are still new releases coming out for it.

It seems to me the 2600 lives on...

@Is650, I agree, but also I'lld say that the 2600 is to this day more sucsessful then the Mattel Hyperscan, and always will be. 2600 may be greatly inferior to the Hyperscan, but it's large libary, and several triple A games, makes it a more sucsessful console, even to this day.

• 1 year later...