IGNORED

Gingerbread Man final binary released!

batari

Merry Xmas!

It will play on an emulator, or real hardware with a Kroko cart or Cuttle cart. This game doesn't use standard F8 bankswitching. Use "UA" as the bankswitching type. In z26, use -g12, and in Stella, press TAB, then select Game Properties, then "UA" under "Type." For those try-before-you-buy folks, hopefully this will encourage you to buy this game!

As to why UA was chosen, it shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying my game and should discourage those who are feelin' a little too randy about others' intellectual property :)

gingerUA.bin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I can't get the bin to work on Stella. Is the file corrupted?

Wp

You need to force 'UA' bankswitching as described in the first post. Hopefully, the next version of Stella will correctly auto-detect this ROM as UA.

• 2 months later...
Merry Xmas!

It will play on an emulator, or real hardware with a Kroko cart or Cuttle cart. Use "UA" as the bankswitching type.

Did you mean the CC2? I was making a CD for use with the CC1 and it doesn't recognize UA as a valid bankswitching type.

Yes - someone corrected me earlier and I thought that was here, but it must have been somewhere else.

I can't get the bin to work on Stella. Is the file corrupted?

Wp

You need to force 'UA' bankswitching as described in the first post. Hopefully, the next version of Stella will correctly auto-detect this ROM as UA.

Thanks Stephen.

Wp

Just an update on this; the latest version of Stella (2.8.4) autodetects the UA bankswitch format, so you don't have to manually specify it. There's still no info in the internal database for it, though. That will be in the next release.

• 14 years later...
On 12/18/2023 at 8:09 PM, SJD69 said:

Any chance of a rom that will work with 2600+ on a Harmony cart?

Here is a version to try. I've included the original and the conversion for the Sega gamepad (I have no idea if that works on the 2600+ though.)

Oh, and for anyone else following this, it's about time to mention the easter egg in the game, as nobody seems to have found it.

A hint for those not waiting the spoiler: look in the upper left corner of the screen when ducking.

Spoiler

In the upper left corner of the screen, a tiny, almost translucent dot will appear on the screen while ducking. You can stand on the dot as if it were a platform (you must remain ducking, or you will fall.) From here, jump up.

There is also another egg within the egg screen, but I'll leave that a secret for now.

Gingerbread_Man_12212023.bin Gingerbread Man SEGA-controller.12212013.bin

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, batari said:

How did you do that? :o It isn't... the second egg is kind of subtle.

I waited until the time ran out and then let myself be touched by the fly. I was quite excited because it opened up a route to the other side of the screen and I was hoping to drop down into a new screen.

16 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:

I waited until the time ran out and then let myself be touched by the fly. I was quite excited because it opened up a route to the other side of the screen and I was hoping to drop down into a new screen.

Sounds like the bug caused a bug!

Though,

Spoiler

I may have very subtly changed your quote to give a hint at the second egg.

1 minute ago, batari said:

Sounds like the bug caused a bug!

Though,

Hide contents

I may have very subtly changed your quote to give a hint at the second egg.

Spoiler

Ah yes. The additional enemies. Very nice. I also noticed that if you repeat the climb to the egg room and drop down again, the spacing between the enemies is different.

11 minutes ago, JetSetIlly said:
  Hide contents

Ah yes. The additional enemies. Very nice. I also noticed that if you repeat the climb to the egg room and drop down again, the spacing between the enemies is different.

Technically,

Spoiler

Dropping down brings you to the next phase of the game (which is normally only accessible by defeating the boss.) Each phase has 4 regular levels and a boss level. There are 4 phases, with the final boss being the last screen on phase 4 (and this screen has unique features.)