IGNORED

atari in thailand ....

jahfish

So what's the general consensus on the origin of Jahfish' and my cart's country of origin. Our lots were both from Thailand. I notice that Atarimania has Jo-Jo and TYTHM listed as the only Thai carts. It's pretty clear that Jahfish' God cart is from Thailand because it says made in Thailand on it.

I don't see the publisher Cold Pac listed on Atarimania though. is it safe to say that Cold Pac is a Thai company?

I don't think Cold Pac is a company.

As you can see, Tythm Softwares carried colorful labels with cool sounding names on them that had nothing to do with the actual game.

The game's real title is on the end label and the end label part is what's most characteristic for Tythms Softwares carts

The end label part usually has a different, solid background color with a title sticker on it.

Also the firm grip on the sides of the carts and the two plastic stripes on the back is typical.

Your Master and Cold Pac carts are IMO true Tythms Softwares carts:

post-6203-1249030134_thumb.jpg

Furthermore, you have a German Galaxy and a German Son Son cart, two Australian Century carts, a bunch of Australian SpaceVision carts (with very cool artwork I must say), a Fantastic Game cart, a (Funvision?) multi-game V-case cart and some Video Computer System carts with the Victory Video Games and Activision logo (still have to categorize these properly, but thanks to your find this can be done now).

http://www.atarimania.com/zoom_frame.php?T...amp;NUM_IMAGE=0

BTW: when I say German carts, that's not to say these weren't sold in Thailand.

Little is known about these carts and very few have been found, so I go with the little confirmed info I have on these.

Jah, what about scanning the other carts now (front and end label)?

post-6203-1249032101_thumb.jpg

In fact, it would be great if you could make some nice big front, back and end label pictures/scans of all of these again:

post-6203-1249032312_thumb.jpg

The more details we have, the better.

We can compare them with Res' his carts and solve some mysteries here.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

So what's the general consensus on the origin of Jahfish' and my cart's country of origin. Our lots were both from Thailand. I notice that Atarimania has Jo-Jo and TYTHM listed as the only Thai carts. It's pretty clear that Jahfish' God cart is from Thailand because it says made in Thailand on it.

I don't see the publisher Cold Pac listed on Atarimania though. is it safe to say that Cold Pac is a Thai company?

I don't think Cold Pac is a company.

As you can see, Tythm Softwares carried colorful labels with cool sounding names on them that had nothing to do with the actual game.

The game's real title is on the end label and the end label part is what's most characteristic for Tythms Softwares carts

The end label part usually has a different, solid background color with a title sticker on it.

Also the firm grip on the sides of the carts and the two plastic stripes on the back is typical.

Furthermore, you have a German Galaxy and a German Son Son cart, two Australian Century carts, a bunch of Australian SpaceVision carts (with very cool artwork I must say), a Fantastic Game cart, a (Funvision?) multi-game V-case cart and some Video Computer System carts with the Victory Video Games and Activision logo (still have to categorize these properly, but thanks to your find this can be done now).

Little is known about these carts and very few have been found, so I go with the little confirmed info I have on these.

Jah, what about scanning the other carts now (front and end label)?

In fact, it would be great if you could make some nice big front, back and end label pictures/scans of all of these again:

The more details we have, the better.

We can compare them with Res' his carts and solve some mysteries here.

8)

Thanks for the wealth of info. :)

Like I said, Mr. Postman is my favorite game, so I'm glad it's one of the Thai carts in my 18 cart lot from Thailand. :)

I've been hunting down thai carts for a long time, and finally found somebody that said they had some carts. I offered the Thai seller $10 a cart sight unseen, which I think is very fair considering the scenario. Coming out with a Thai Mr. Postman, I couldn't be happier. I collect pirate carts from all countries anyway, so every cart in this lot has a warm welcome in my collection. :)

Edited by ResOGlas

ALso, I have an AtariMania 32 in 1 cart that has been giving me trouble. When I blow on the cart, I get more games available for a few mins. I figure the moisture is making a connection more solid. I peeled back the label and took her apart, a horrible thing, I know. The PCB handiwork is very sloppy. The PCB and Prom are both marked Mania.

Some of the soldering was sloppy and seemed like it could be touching, and spome pins looked like they were in contact with traces. I tried to fix that, but the game plays the same. I guess I'll just put her back in her Case/coffin and let things be.

Edited by ResOGlas

These are very cool!

However, what is the general consesus on pirated Atari games, even if they are in other countries? Are they worth much?

Granted, these are unique finds, but I place little value on pirated cartridges. Let me put it this way: Let's say I take a common game, such as Activision's Barnstorming, and copy it, make a new catridge case and label for it, and resll it. Does it have significant value?

These are very cool!

However, what is the general consesus on pirated Atari games, even if they are in other countries? Are they worth much?

Granted, these are unique finds, but I place little value on pirated cartridges. Let me put it this way: Let's say I take a common game, such as Activision's Barnstorming, and copy it, make a new catridge case and label for it, and resll it. Does it have significant value?

No not if you do it,but its a different story if it was done by some strange company in a strange land back in the 80s.

To most of us collectors,its not about the money,so mostly monetary value does not play a part.

Its the beauty of the cart,the strange label they have,the origin of the carts and the rarity and uniqueness of the carts,theres nothing more exciting for a collector than owning a cart that no one else has (i have several like this ;) ) .

This is the reason why there is excitement about the carts from Thailand that jahfish has scored,they fix the descriptions i have given.

• Like 1

What carts are those pictured, I didn't see them in your database?

Thanks again for all the info.

These are Tythm Softwares and SpaceVision multi-carts.

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which titles are on it, so they can't be added to the database.

8)

Unfortunately, I don't know exactly which titles are on it, so they can't be added to the database.

8)

Oh noes. All carts not shown on Atarimania don't go to heaven. :(

8)

Oh noes. All carts not shown on Atarimania don't go to heaven. :(

Yep.

There are some 2500 different funky looking VCS carts still missing from our database.

8)

8)

i have a TRON cart with the same frog-label but ACTIVISION written on it.

it is no multcart and i have no idea which company it is. i dont think it is a activision cart ?

it is no multcart and i have no idea which company it is. i dont think it is a activision cart ?

I don't know what you mean with TRON cart, but you probably own something like this:

post-6203-1249160132.jpg

It's not an Activision cart, but a foreign pirate cart.

These are TRON carts, btw:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-...I-SOFT_LIB.html

Herbarius,

The switch let you choose between more than one game.

These are multi-game carts.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

here's how i see it:

my GOD cart and one thytm cart (the yellow one with the Thytm text) are the only two that really clearly say "made in thailand" ... and even those are probably just made in taiwan as well

and there is those other bootlegs with the same case ... probably a sign that those were distributed by the same producer.

we should probably start categorizing cart shells to analyse their forms and connect the dots ... just like all those various S.S. carts that surely come from one and the same place ... or did different bootleggers by the same cart shells?

Furthermore, you have a German Galaxy and a German Son Son cart

german sound very confusing ... these are most probably taiwan carts as well ... i think you should rather add the information where those carts have been found and differentiate that information from the production origin

thai people often use the double wording to put more emphasis on a description ... like "nice nice" or "good good" ... they don't use the word "very" and instead just repeat a descriptive word .... so to me, "son son" sounds very very thai ... i would suggest that this is another cart - of taiwan or thai origin - that was produced for the thai market.

i've also never seen any son son carts in germany ... is that origin description based on one cart that was found in germany? i'm not sure where i got my carts from, but i think it was from a german guy ... so in that case, it would make german carts out of the thytm carts !?

a bunch of Australian SpaceVision carts (with very cool artwork I must say)

i think spacevision carts are the same than the supervision carts ... there is many similar ones and the logo is more or less the same (that also includes those activision label with the same type of graphics) .... i would also say that those are taiwan carts.

the colored supervision cats have turned up in germany, france, italy, netherlands and more countries as well .... so i wouldn't reduce those to being australian carts ...

in the next days, i'm gonna talk to a thai friend and give him the order to research the net about this thytm company and try to find out more ... we need to find out if those were actually sold and distributed in thailand ... or if it was just an export product.

obviously the asian market was flooded with much more pirates, as most people would not be able to afford the original games, just like it has been in brasil and other south american countries ...

and just like a lot of other people, i'm quite curious to find out whether "made in thailand" is a fact or just some writing to make people buy (pseudo-)local stuff ....

Edited by jahfish

in the next days, i'm gonna talk to a thai friend and give him the order to research the net about this thytm company and try to find out more ... we need to find out if those were actually sold and distributed in thailand ... or if it was just an export product.

My carts are coming from a Thai seller, in Thailand.

Which would make your Tythm carts the only ones found....outside of Thailand. :pirate:

Edited by ResOGlas

Jah,

I think you made some very good points.

Obviously, there is a connection between Supervision and SpaceVision carts and it could very well be these were originally made in Taiwan and exported to a.o. Thailand.

I also think that carts found in Germany do not have to be sold originally in Germany.

Perhaps Marco and Sandy can tell us more about this.

And Jah,

If you have some spare time to scan these, I would very much appreciate it:

post-6203-1249205603_thumb.jpg

Please let me know if you can scan them for me.

And I just found the scans of your other Thai carts, so these are not needed anymore.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

No need for that.

The front label title will not be used in our database and you better not risk damaging the label with chemical shit.

I think there's indeed a connection between Jo Jo and Tythm Softwares.

The plastics are similar.

But once again, I need more reference material to be sure of this.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

No need for that.

The front label title will not be used in our database and you better not risk damaging the label with chemical shit.

I think there's indeed a connection between Jo Jo and Tythm Softwares.

The plastics are similar.

But once again, I need more reference material to be sure of this.

8)

I'm a very patient person and have delt with many antiquities that have had more than their fair share of labels and stickers that shouldn't be there. If I spend 20 minutes, I can get any label off without damage, including residual damage from said chemicals. :)

Edit: nothing I can do about any possible sun damage from existing labels. :)

Double edit: I just don't see why Jo-Jo gets a separate section on atari mania, but Master and Cold Pac don't which also use tythm cases. Thailand is a VERY small market, and if all the thai carts have the same case, one would assume they are all from the same origin. I think this would make sense, no? Until I see a Jo-Jo cart in person, I'm going to bank that it's TYTHM.

By the way, is TYTHM a Thai word, or just an abbreviation?

Edited by ResOGlas

I don't know what you mean with TRON cart, but you probably own something like this:

post-6203-1249160132.jpg

It's not an Activision cart, but a foreign pirate cart.

These are TRON carts, btw:

http://www.atarimania.com/lst_soft-MENU-2-...I-SOFT_LIB.html

sorry, my misthake.

i meant this cart with the game TRON on it.

post-17534-1249225125_thumb.jpg

I just don't see why Jo-Jo gets a separate section on atari mania, but Master and Cold Pac don't which also use tythm cases. Thailand is a VERY small market, and if all the thai carts have the same case, one would assume they are all from the same origin. I think this would make sense, no? Until I see a Jo-Jo cart in person, I'm going to bank that it's TYTHM.
I think that in the near future, Jo Jo carts are indeed going to be included in the Tythms Softwares section.

And perhaps some other carts fit the Tythms Softwares cart descriptions as well:

post-6203-1249255503_thumb.jpg

I'll await your close-up scans and the last scans from Jah.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

The above "Raider's of the Lost Ark" cart says "Cosmic" on the end label. The game on the cart is an NTSC version of Earth Dies Screaming.

It's strange, a few of the carts are NTSC, including the orange "Master" Tythm Dragon Fire cart. My other two Tythm carts are PAL.

Edited by ResOGlas