IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 18: Kung Fu Master

Ze_ro

Important Note: This weeks competition is over, and no further scores will be accepted.

The lovely Princess Victoria is being held captive in the Evil Wizard's temple. As the Kung-Fu Master, you're the only one powerful enough to rescue her. The temple has five levels, each one crawling with a tireless army of enemies. Using your superb martial arts skills, you'll have to oust henchmen, knife-throwers, dragons, and a slew of other not-very-nice types.

s_KungFuMaster_2.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Kung Fu Master
  • Released By: Activision, 1987
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Jan 16th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 382,820 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 327,980 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 195,860 (theking21083) [+9]
  4. 187,960 (Mister VCS) [+8]
  5. 71,500 (toymailman) [+7]
  6. 70,460 (Impaler_26) [+6]
  7. 68,380 (Captain Beard) [+5]
  8. 62,420 (homerwannabee) [+4]
  9. 56,200 (LarcenTyler) [+3]
  10. 32,000 (aftermac) [+2]
  11. 24,480 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  12. 10,000 (doctorclu) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Deteacher [+2]

Challenges
  • None

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 1,000,000 (Todd Rogers, David B Yancey, Douglas C Korekach)
  2. 568,680 (Robert Macauley) (PAL)
  3. 317,680 (Stephen R Riesenberger)
Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [166]
    toymailman [148]
    keilbaca [101]
    PressureCooker2600 [83]
    theking21083 [74]
    Kurt_Woloch [58]
    rheffera [57]
    homerwannabee [55]
    Impaler_26 [54]
    Captain Beard [49]
    Recycled [44]
    SpiceWare [39]
    DarthCalvin [36]
    Blackjack [35]
    Christophero Sly [35]
    phaxda [29]
    Nathan Strum [29]
    shadow460 [25]
    Rom Hunter [23]
    LarcenTyler [19]
    midnight magicman [19]
    Butterwasp [18]
    theKLT [11]
    godzillajoe [11]
    Artlover [9]
    Dauber [9]
    lucifershalo [9]
    ed1475 [8]
    keitaro [7]
    Omegamatrix [6]
    Nognir [5]
    Goochman [4]
    atari2600land [4]
    SeaGtGruff [3]
    Crazy Climber [2]
    gospeedde [2]
    chuchwalla [2]
    Phantom [2]
    Snider-man [2]
    doctorclu [1]
    RJ [1]
    KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Kung Fu Master

[*]You'll earn points for defeating your enemies. Some enemies are worth more points than others.
ENEMY KICKED PUNCHED

Henchmen 100 100
Knife Thrower 500 800
Midgets 200 300
Dragon Ball 2000 2000
Killer Moths 500 600
Fist Fighter 2000 2000
Boomerang Thrower 3000 3000
Giant Kicker 3000 3000
Lightning Magician 5000 5000
Gang Master 10000 10000

[*]Note that if an enemy hits you first, you get no points for defeating him. This includes the knife throwers! (Thanks for the hint Nukey!)

[*]Any time left over at the end of a level is multiplied by 10 and added to your score. And any energy left over at the end of a level is multiplied by 100 and added to your score.

[*]You'll be awarded an extra life at 75,000 points.

Hints and Tips
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online for your viewing pleasure. Here are the tips the manual provides:

[*]Don't use punches and kicks randomly. A true martial artist knows when to apply them at just the right moment.
[*]Try to figure out which type of blow works best against which opponents. Most of them have certain weak spots.
[*]Don't try to battle the snake-just stay out of its way.
[*]Remember: no one opponent can kill you outright. But they all rob you of energy. So if an opponent happens to hit you just when your energy is low enough, he may end up killing you.
[*]Keep a close eye on the timer. When it runs out, so does your life.

Deteacher
My first tip: When a knife thrower is coming at you, try to keep your distance until he throws a knife. Once it passes by you, go after him. He won't throw another one until the first one is off screen. You usually have enough time to finish him off before he can throw a second knife at you.

I try to get up to the first boss with as much energy as possible too. It's pretty easy to get to him with most of your life left, provided you're patient getting through the snakes/dragons. When you meet up with this boss, stand about 4 or 5 steps from him. Wait for him to throw his boomerang. Dodge the throw, then move in and attack. If my health is really good, I just stay in and wail on him. I might take a hit or two from the boomerang, but I know I'll finish him off.

If my health is low when I meet him, I'll dodge his boomerang, hit him once or twice, back off in time to dodge the boomerang on it's return path. Repeat this process until you finish him. It takes a lot longer, but you stand a better chance of surviving this way.

For me, I have the most success using low punches on the bosses.
keilbaca
The trick to the moths, is to keep walking forward, do not try to attack them. If you do and miss, you lose a *lot* more life, than just ignoring them, taking the damage, and using that time to get to the boss asap.

--Zero

Ok, let's start with an easy to beat score of...

31,680. :D

Wow, you were really right about it being easy to beat. That high score lasted less than a minute. I think you now own the record for having the shortest time period as a High Score. Congrats, until Atariage counts seconds as well as minutes your score record will never be beaten. ;)

Ok, let's start with an easy to beat score of...

31,680. :D

Wow, you were really right about it being easy to beat. That high score lasted less than a minute. I think you now own the record for having the shortest time period as a High Score. Congrats, until Atariage counts seconds as well as minutes your score record will never be beaten. ;)

:lolblue:

Yeah i finally hold a record no one can beat! :D

My first tip: When a knife thrower is coming at you, try to keep your distance until he throws a knife. Once it passes by you, go after him. He won't throw another one until the first one is off screen. You usually have enough time to finish him off before he can throw a second knife at you.

I've noticed that sometimes, I don't get points for offing a knife thrower...anyone else experience this? Just wondering.

post-9712-1200013735_thumb.jpg

I've noticed that sometimes, I don't get points for offing a knife thrower...anyone else experience this? Just wondering.

No points are awarded whenever you didn't avoid his attack. If your energy bar was depleted by any amount, eliminating that enemy does not score. The manual covers this on page 4 for the thugs, but neglects to mention knife attacks.

Observation:

What the heck is the deal with "the princess"?? Looks like a black and red octopus! :lol:

No points are awarded whenever you didn't avoid his attack. If your energy bar was depleted by any amount, eliminating that enemy does not score. The manual covers this on page 4 for the thugs, but neglects to mention knife attacks.

Observation:

What the heck is the deal with "the princess"?? Looks like a black and red octopus! :lol:

Ahhh! Thanks for the info, Nukey. I have the loose cart, but I never played it enough to care whether or not I got the points. Nor, did I ever read the online manual. Much appreciated!

You're right! The princess does look a little "fishy" to me, now that you mention it! :D You may have just started a running gag here! Insert fish/sea life joke here! :)

Alright, I need help getting by the first level boss - not even close to getting a good score yet. The first time I played I got through no problem, now I keep getting offed by him. Is there a strategy?

I don't know if it is a good strategy, but I try to make it to him with as little damage as possible, then slowly creep up to him and when I get close enough furiously low kick him. I take heavy damage, but I can usually kill him before he kills me. I can make it to the second stage consistently now.

If someone else has a better strategy, I would love to hear it... and for the Boomerang Guy.

First of all, I try to get up to him with as much energy as possible too. It's pretty easy to get to him with most of your life left, provided you're patient getting through the snakes/dragons. When you meet up with this boss, stand about 4 or 5 steps from him. Wait for him to throw his boomerang. Dodge the throw, then move in and attack. If my health is really good, I just stay in and wail on him. I might take a hit or two from the boomerang, but I know I'll finish him off.

If my health is low when I meet him, I'll dodge his boomerang, hit him once or twice, back off in time to dodge the boomerang on it's return path. Repeat this process until you finish him. It takes a lot longer, but you stand a better chance of surviving this way.

For me, I have the most success using low punches on the bosses. Agree? Disagree?