IGNORED

Cleveland Area Game Show March 21 and 22 - Take 2

fmh

Holy crap. They think big, don't they?

http://neovgcon.lan2unow.com/html/vendors.html

By my quick count, they have 64 booth areas set up. That is a LOT of vendors for a show no one's heard of - and with only 2 1/2 months left until the show. I don't think Cinciclassic and CCAG combined have had that many vendor areas - and those are two Ohio shows with histories and proven track records.

I have a feeling this won't materialize again come March.

I just took a look at the site, it appears very little was changed from the original site they had up last year. It's strange how they are having the show on a full day Friday and Saturday, instead of Saturday and Sunday. The place is going to be completely dead during the day on Friday, and not much busier Friday night.

I took a look at the contract, and found this section a bit alarming (emphasis mine):

The dismantling of displays begins at 6:01 PM, Saturday, March 22nd, 2008, unless an earlier dismantling time is indicated by a NEOVGCON Director and continues through 6:20 PM. At that time, all Vendor displays or materials left in the exhibit space without prearranged removal instructions or in the care of a Vendor/Exhibitor will be packed and shipped at the discretion of the Host and all charges including, but not limited to; time and labor, packaging materials, carrier shipping costs and other related expenses will be applied to the Vendor/Exhibitor and payable prior to such shipment.

Only 20 minutes to tear down your booth? That's ridiculous. There's also mention somewhere on the page that the move-out time is from 6:00pm until 7:00pm, and that there is some other event going in for Sunday and they will be setting up that event while people are trying to get their stuff out (I guess that explains why they are doing the show Friday/Saturday). Also, the allocated time for setup is less than three hours on the Friday morning before the show. I personally would not be able to work within these constraints, especially the teardown time alloted.

Also, the prices for this show are quite high for an event that has no track record (I assume this is their first event, as I've never heard of it before), especially considering they already canceled their first poorly chosen date. There's also no mention anywhere of how they plan on promoting the event, and considering the promotion that was done before the previous event (uhh, none?), I'm not terribly enthusiastic about what they'll do this time around. Here is a link to their vendor payment form with prices for booth space:

http://neovgcon.lan2unow.com/NEOVGCON_Payment_122807.pdf

A single table is between $200 and $275, depending on how and when you pay, and a 10' x 20' booth is $720 - $850. This doesn't include electricity, so another $30 for that. The 10' x 20' booth includes either two 8' tables or three 6' tables. That's not much space at all--I'd barely have room to setup a few systems and display homebrew games. Additional tables beyond what is included with the booth are $40 each.

There's quite a bit of legalese in that contract, for instance, "Vendor must have and maintain, at its own cost and expense, general public liability insurance insuring itself against any and all liability or claims of liability arising out of, occasioned by or resulting from an incident or otherwise in connection with the operations to be carried out pursuant to this Contract."

Huh, I just noticed on that vendor payment form that they are guaranteeing there will be 2,000 people in attendance at the event. If you pay for your booth in full by February 15th and they do not get 2,000 admissions over the course of the show, they will refund your payment. Brave for them to do this, but you'll have to take their word for how many people showed up.

I think I'll pass..

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

I just dug through the site again and as far as I can tell *NOTHING AT ALL* has been updated since I last posted about it three weeks ago. Considering the show is in a month, that doesn't really bode well. I wonder how many people have bought tickets through the website? Even the floor plan still says "Full Booth Map of NEOVGCON 2007". No news whatsoever, no listing of what will be at the show except for the tournaments being put on by the same company running the show, etc. Not really much to go on!!

..Al

I just dug through the site again and as far as I can tell *NOTHING AT ALL* has been updated since I last posted about it three weeks ago. Considering the show is in a month, that doesn't really bode well. I wonder how many people have bought tickets through the website? Even the floor plan still says "Full Booth Map of NEOVGCON 2007". No news whatsoever, no listing of what will be at the show except for the tournaments being put on by the same company running the show, etc. Not really much to go on!!

..Al

Man I don't know about this show. If I have time that weekend I'll swing by and scope it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Little more than a month away (again) and no show info. No vendor list. No show news. It appears they have a logo for Halo 3 and Guitar Hero on the Tournaments page, so they seem to have that planned. But no other info at ALL is posted.

Has anyone dropped these folks a letter and asked WTF?

Little more than a month away (again) and no show info. No vendor list. No show news. It appears they have a logo for Halo 3 and Guitar Hero on the Tournaments page, so they seem to have that planned. But no other info at ALL is posted.

Has anyone dropped these folks a letter and asked WTF?

You know considering that this show is in my backyard and I forgot about it tells you something...

Once again I went through the entire site and I can see no discernible changes at all. It's possible they are working hard behind the scenes, right? :ponder:

I believe the Halo 3 and Guitar Hero logos have always been there on the Tournament page.

..Al

Greetings All!

Yep, we have been working like mad behind the scenes and the website suffered a bit for it while

we locked contracts and commitments into place. Most of that's done, the NEOVGCON '08 website

is now majorly revamped and updated with more information. We apologize for the confusion and

lack of details up to now.

#1 - No NEOVGCON was not the disaster out in Mentor on the Lake. I'll respond to that post

in a little bit.

#2 - NEOVGCON '07 is now '08 because of a previous commitment we had with Buffalo Wild

Wings/Miller BC and they pulled some rescheduling on us that conflicted with the original date.

Instead of screwing our clients or putting on a lousy show - we rescheduled. The last weekend

before Xmas was intentional because of the opportunity to get some great last-minute Xmas

presents?

Now NEOVGCON '08, well unfortuantely for the venue we're booked into - the largest space

available in the area for what we're doing - Easter Weekend Fri/Sat is all that was available until

late August. Summer sucks for things like this indoors, so we bagged that idea and pushed

forward for March. It's right after the main convention/show season at the IX Center, etc. so

we're finding the response excellent.

#3 - Yes, this is large. Yes, it's our first year and we're being very aggressive, but if you

look at the site revamp we've added some major Sponsors like GameStop and the US Army

along with exhibits and entertainment for everyone of all ages. So it's not just a gaming CON,

it's not just tourneys all day long either. It's something a hardcore gamer can come to, even

if his Mom & Dad have to drive him there <Grin>

#4 - Tournaments - yes, we're sponsoring the tourneys and competitions but they're being

operated by the 2 largest LAN Centers in the area. Our LAN2UNOW Mobile Video Gaming Unit

is also part of this, the website(s) can provide more details on all that. But the prizes that are

forthcoming are being provided by our Show Sponsors, not just us. There's no national game

leauge behind this event this year, but as you'll see in the other post - that's intentional.

We're open to questions! Nothing to hide, just busting ass to make it happen. Classic stuff

is a bit thin, but we had Pitfall Harry contact us, even mention speaking with someone at Atari

Age - then dead silence. So any of you with Classic stuff interested - contact me!

Dave Duffner

VP Operations & Logistics

LAN2UNOW, LLC

NEOVGCON '08

I read in the paper this week about a show where the show promoters left in the middle of the event and didn't pay the rent. Prize money was a fraction of what was expected and people were upset. Is that this? Think it was in Mentor.

100% absolutely not us! But, we were there... Let me explain.

The Gaming Nation (TGN) is a very poor rip-off of MLG. They claimed to have the same

facility booked as our convention for Feb 16th & 17th, we already knew better. Their sad

attempt at running tournaments turned into the giant fiasco you're mentioning here.

It was held at the Cold Fusion LAN Center out in Mentor, we work with them and they

contracted our MMTAG Trailer out to help put on the tournaments. TGN was totally

responsible for their operation, which they totally screwed the whole thing up. It was a

total embarassment and quite a few players ended up getting royally screwed while

TGN tries to make themselves look like the victims on their website. Sad, sad affair.

CF LAN Center is one of our Sponsors for this event and will be running the tourneys,

they have plenty of experience running quality tournaments and competitions. TGN

literally rented the entire place out, which included our MMTAG Unit as we were there

to back up the LAN Center.

NONE of what went down courtesy of TGN will occur at NEOVGCON '08. Any and all

prizes stated will be awarded and all but 1-2 of our tourneys are only the price of

admission! Limited player signup slots of course, but we're talking just $5-$7 to enter

and get the rest of the show too. Not that bad? And the CoD4 pay tourney won't be

more than $50 per 4-man team and it'll all use MLG rules. All that's being updated

based on the TGN mess to ensure nothing like that happens ever again!

Dave

LAN2UNOW, LLC

NEOVGCON '08

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hope to god that website map isn't accurate as to what will be there...as if it is...man...that'll piss off some people. I'm not willing to say "a lot of people" as considering I haven't heard of this ever...and I'm usually wicked up to date on these sorts of things.

Edit: Sidenote: I hope theres somebody there other than Gamestop that actually sells games...particularly classic ones. I'm majorly skeptical that there would be anything worth my time there.

Edited by Blur2040

I hope to god that website map isn't accurate as to what will be there...as if it is...man...that'll piss off some people. I'm not willing to say "a lot of people" as considering I haven't heard of this ever...and I'm usually wicked up to date on these sorts of things.

Edit: Sidenote: I hope theres somebody there other than Gamestop that actually sells games...particularly classic ones. I'm majorly skeptical that there would be anything worth my time there.

"Roman Chariot Car Display" ?!?!

There still is no list of vendors on the website (that page is under construction) and the map only shows a few of the vendors. Would like to know more before I head on over there.

..Al

See ya this weekend folks!!!! I'll be there Saturday.

I'm going to pass; but let us know the scoop.

I'll be at the CCAG in May.

I recieved a call at my store last week from Tim Manoa. For those of you outside of Cleveland who may not know he played for the Cleveland Browns in the late 80's (when the Browns were kicking ass) for a few seasons. He told me this was his show and was nice enough to invite me to attend at a discounted rate. He expressed the desire to have the classic games represented at the show. I think its great that they want to include the older games with their show. I ran the idea over with the wife but with 1 weeks notice and the family in town for Easter I had to pass.

I passed along Mike Gedeons number over at Video Game Connection but I'm unsure if Mike is going.

I recieved a call at my store last week from Tim Manoa. For those of you outside of Cleveland who may not know he played for the Cleveland Browns in the late 80's (when the Browns were kicking ass) for a few seasons. He told me this was his show and was nice enough to invite me to attend at a discounted rate. He expressed the desire to have the classic games represented at the show. I think its great that they want to include the older games with their show. I ran the idea over with the wife but with 1 weeks notice and the family in town for Easter I had to pass.

I passed along Mike Gedeons number over at Video Game Connection but I'm unsure if Mike is going.

Where is your store at???