IGNORED

XM801 printer communication error 138

Philsan

I have received a new Atari XM801 dot-matrix graphic printer.

The printer in itself works (I am able to do the self test) but when I try to print something from my 130XE (LPRINT) I get an error #138 (timeout).

The SIO cables and printer's 2 SIO ports seem to work because I have attached 130XE and SIO2SD to the printer and SIO2SD works (in other words there is communication between computer and SIO2SD through the printer).

I have also connected the printer directly to the computer without SIO2SD but I always get the error.

Obviously the printer is in online mode!

The printer is American (110v) and the computer is pal but I don't think this can be a problem.

Is it a known problem that can be solved?

Update:

I have tested the printer with an Atari 800XL and it works.

I have tested again the printer with the 130XE and now it works!

Very strange!

Edited by Philsan

I have received a new Atari XM801 dot-matrix graphic printer.

The printer in itself works (I am able to do the self test) but when I try to print something from my 130XE (LPRINT) I get an error #138 (timeout).

The SIO cables and printer's 2 SIO ports seem to work because I have attached 130XE and SIO2SD to the printer and SIO2SD works (in other words there is communication between computer and SIO2SD through the printer).

I have also connected the printer directly to the computer without SIO2SD but I always get the error.

Obviously the printer is in online mode!

The printer is American (110v) and the computer is pal but I don't think this can be a problem.

Is it a known problem that can be solved?

Update:

I have tested the printer with an Atari 800XL and it works.

I have tested again the printer with the 130XE and now it works!

Very strange!

130xe's have intermittant SIO problems due to the fact that the RF filters (small green resistor looking things near the SIO connector on the motherboard) are of a very poorly chosen spec to say the least.. Most of the European 130xes dont have these filters. It was the american FCC's requirements they were ATTEMPTING to meet by having these filters in the first place..

Want proof? Try using a bone stock, unmodified 130xe with an ultra-speed drive.. Or even an unmodified XF551.. The system works, but has sporadic sector reads.

The fix? cut the suckers out.. (or desolder them).. They cause error 138s and 139s out the yin yang...

They are identified on the later boards as C301-c310 (immediately to the front and left of the SIO connector inside the 130XE).. On some of the older machines, they were soldered directly from the SIO pins on the back of the connector to ground..

Ive seen tons of european XEs that had these filters left completely out, and Ive removed all of them from all of my XEs, and all of my SIO device operation has had a HUGE marked improvement (most notably with Ultraspeed drives, XF551s, and devices on the end of the SIO chain).

From what I understand, these filters were added to supposedly reduce the chances of potential noise generation on nearby television sets and radio recievers. The way I look at it, the SIO cables are all shielded to begin with. IF youve got your TV antenna wire tangled up in your SIO cable, then MAYBE... heh.. And as a second point, if youve got a TV THAT close to the ATARI, it's probably being used as the monitor, not for watching broadcast TV shows..

On NTSC 130XEs, removal of these filters has fixed all my SIO problems..

You say the XE is PAL.. Which means it probably doesnt have the filters.. But the XMM801 is NTSC.. I'd check the schematic for the printer and see if theres any "filters" on the SIO bus on that end..

Edited by MEtalGuy66