IGNORED

JAGUAR-HSC-SPECIAL: Tempest 2000 - The DvD__13,233,096

doctorclu

"J64-HSC1 - King of the Vortex: Tempest 2000"

.......1) From this point on the person who beats the high score gets a point.

.......2) First time players get a point

.......3) There is a first prize of 8 points to the highest scored player at the end of the year.

There is this game for the Jaguar that is pure video game crack. :D

Players of modern systems buy the Jaguar, just for this game sometimes.

It is TEMPEST 2000

This game was too cool for one contest. This game needs it's own year. And so, here it is, for the year of 2009, a battle to see who will be king of the mountain, or the vortex in this case, of Tempest 2000.

The rules:

-All Controllers accepted.

-Emulation is more than fine (look up "Project Tempest"... a 2 ghz machine will run this at 100%) !!

-Must be the JAGUAR version.

-Cheats for level jumping are accepted.

-Needs to be a score gained for this contest.

Play the game. Play off and on for weeks racking up a score, hoping that the cat doesn't step on the power button and make you loose your score. Take a picture, post it here!

Let's have some fun....

13,233,096 - The DvD (2009)

10,009,461 - Atardi (2009)

3,518,834 - Kevincal

1,914,400 - ZeroSquare

1,225,818 - Punisher 5.0

1,134,110 - Fandal

649,218 - Hyper_Eye (2009)

591,317 - LeGeek (2009)

464,464 - FaceMeat (2009)

414,098 - DarthKur (2009)

408,757 - Doctor Clu

352,462 - AstroPuff (2009)

228,716 - Dan Iacovelli

148,377 - RoadRunner

45,500 - Otaku (2009)

"Television is the retina of the minds eye...."

Edited by kevincal

what timing:

Tempest 2000 just happnens to be the game of the month I'm showing on my podcast on sunday.

so it looks like I'll be playing for a spot on the show sunday.

quick question: we are playing tempest 2000 and do we start at the first level or any level that we can get to.

(I'll be showing 3 of the 4 games:(tempest classic,plus and 2000 of course) on the show)

what timing:

Tempest 2000 just happnens to be the game of the month I'm showing on my podcast on sunday.

so it looks like I'll be playing for a spot on the show sunday.

quick question: we are playing tempest 2000 and do we start at the first level or any level that we can get to.

(I'll be showing 3 of the 4 games:(tempest classic,plus and 2000 of course) on the show)

Get the highest score any way you can on Tempest 2000. :) So level jumping is fine.

(The only limitation would be to not use invincibility cheats or ways to cheat dying... if such a thing exists.)

• 2 weeks later...

"J64-HSC1 - King of the Vortex: Tempest 2000"

.......1) From this point on the person who beats the high score gets a point.

.......2) First time players get a point

.......3) There is a first prize of 8 points to the highest scored player at the end of the year.

As of 2-16-2008 all have been given participation points.

Kevincal was given an additional point for setting the current high score to be beat.

(and as mentioned, by becoming the current king of the vortex by beating the current score, you get a point!)

Have fun!

• 8 months later...

I've been playing this game a bit after work lately just to clear my mind :)

I figured that while I was at it, I could try to get a good score for this contest :

1,914,400 - Level 93

post-8748-1224799167_thumb.jpg

(Dio's Tempest 2000 emulator, PC keyboard, "keys" used but without cheating [i.e. I've played every previous level before]).

Edited by Zerosquare

I've been playing this game a bit after work lately just to clear my mind :)

I figured that while I was at it, I could try to get a good score for this contest :

1,914,400 - Level 93

post-8748-1224799167_thumb.jpg

(Dio's Tempest 2000 emulator, PC keyboard, "keys" used but without cheating [i.e. I've played every previous level before]).

Nice!! A new "King of the Vortex!"

• 2 weeks later...

DUDE... I just had a marathon session with Tempest 2000. I got fed up with level 64 so I input the cheat code and skipped level 64 and several others to beat the game. Then I decided to try Beastly Mode because you get double the points while playing in this mode. Your shot is a lot slower though. Anyway, I beat the game in Beastly Mode, although I skipped DOZENS of levels lol. Still, I did quite well. ;) I managed my highest T2K score by FAR...

Here's the message you get at the end.

"CONGRATULATIONS!

TOTALLY AWESOME!

YOU BEAT THE GAME IN BEASTLY MODE!

YOU HAD BETTER HAVE ABOUT SIX CUPS OF TEA AFTER THIS!

WITH REFLEXES LIKE THAT, YOU SHOULD JOIN THE AIR FORCE AND BECOME A FIGHTER PILOT

OUTSTANDING TEMPEST, DUDE!"

(1-10) 1 being BAD ~ 10 being AWESOME

Graphics - 9

Music & FX - 10

Story - 6

Control - 8

Play Mechanics - 8

Learning Curve - 6

Replayability - 10

Game Length - 9

Fun Factor - 9

Overall Opinion - 9.5

I would give it a 10, but there are just a few too many INSANELY FRUSTRATING levels which makes it nearly impossible to beat the game without cheating, even for a veteran player!!!

Edited by kevincal

DUDE... I just had a marathon session with Tempest 2000. I got fed up with level 64 so I input the cheat code and skipped level 64 and several others to beat the game. Then I decided to try Beastly Mode because you get double the points while playing in this mode. Your shot is a lot slower though. Anyway, I beat the game in Beastly Mode, although I skipped DOZENS of levels lol. Still, I did quite well. ;) I managed my highest T2K score by FAR...

You must be on a break from work. :P

So when you say skipped, you're talking in game level warps right? Just asking before I add this score.

Yup I used the level jumping/in game level warps cheat. ;)

And work... Eh, it's just I don't work enough LOL. ;) I work about 20 hours a week... :ponder: Also, I have this weird thing where every year, I get excited about videogames right around this time of year, when it starts raining/getting colder/and dark earlier... :D Fall and Winter rule for gaming! :P

Oh and I was using the regular old Jag controller. :D

I don't have access to a digital camera right now either. Or else I'd provide evidence! But don't worry, I'm not lying! LOL... ;)

Edited by kevincal

Yup I used the level jumping/in game level warps cheat. ;)

And work... Eh, it's just I don't work enough LOL. ;) I work about 20 hours a week... :ponder: Also, I have this weird thing where every year, I get excited about videogames right around this time of year, when it starts raining/getting colder/and dark earlier... :D Fall and Winter rule for gaming! :P

Oh and I was using the regular old Jag controller. :D

I don't have access to a digital camera right now either. Or else I'd provide evidence! But don't worry, I'm not lying! LOL... ;)

Well done. You are the current king of the vortex. :)

• 1 month later...

The fact remains that:

Level skips were always allowed in this contest.

It still takes a lot of skill and time to beat this game, even when you skip a level here or there. I challenge you to play through the whole game in Beastly mode and see if you can beat my score.. ;) I don't see how the hell ANYONE could beat Beastly Mode without skipping any levels... The regular mode is insanely hard enough from level 64 on...

Yes kevincal, you are right.

I haven't read that, my bad....

So.... Congratulations! :)

:) Congrats to both. Besides, there is always this year. ;)

Ok, everything resets this time...

who will be the king of the Vortex for 2009?

So what do you think for this year? To jump? Or not to level jump, that is the question?) :)

Edited by doctorclu

Well, personally I find this game a lot more fun when you can jump a level here or there. It really sucks when you are going along great in this game and you come upon an insanely hard level and die over and over (Level 64)... I just love a game where I know that I can reach the end, especially when I'm investing a lot of my time into it! That's why I liked playing in Beastly Mode (Lots of Points) and was able to jump levels at will. After all, you don't get any points for jumping levels.

So if it were up to me, my rules would be this:

You can play in Regular or Beastly Mode. Level skipping IS allowed in either mode. Start from level 1. And that's it. :) That way this allows EVERYONE that ability to play through the game... Cus I know a lot of people cannot make it far through this game without getting stuck on a very hard level or web...

• 2 weeks later...