IGNORED

HSC Season 5 Week 21: Double Dragon

Ze_ro

Important Note: This week's competition is over and no further scores will be accepted.

The Black Warriors have kidnapped your best girl. That was their first mistake. Challenging you and your twin brother in martial arts combat will be their second. But these thugs don't play by the rules. Knives, whips, bats, boulders, and dynamite are standard issue with these masters of pain. And their uzi-toting boss doesn't believe in happy endings.

s_DoubleDragon_3.png

Game Information
  • Game Name: Double Dragon
  • Released By: Activision, 1989
  • Left Difficulty: N/A
  • Right Difficulty: N/A
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - One player against the Black Warriors
  • Chosen By: Mister VCS

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Wednesday, Feb 6th at 1:00 AM (CST).

Current High Scores
  1. 140,640 (Bentley Bear!) [+11] ([+5])
  2. 82,550 (aftermac) [+10]
  3. 80,890 (toymailman) [+9]
  4. 51,450 (Mister VCS) [+8]
  5. 43,200 (Deteacher) [+7]
  6. 22,100 (keilbaca) [+6]
  7. 20,820 (Gemini) [+5]
  8. 20,500 (Captain Beard) [+4]
  9. 14,280 (Impaler_26) [+3]
  10. 13,380 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 11,100 (Nathan Strum) [+1]
  12. 10,550 (theking21083) [+1]
  13. 10,100 (Crazy Climber) [+1]
  14. 5500 (Kurt_Woloch) [+1]
  15. 3150 (homerwannabee) [+1]
  16. 1460 (Goochman) [+1]
  17. 1000 (doctorclu) [+1]
  18. 750 (lonewolfette9847) [+1]

Best Tips
  • Bentley Bear! [+2]

Challenges
  • Save the Girl - Beat level 4 and get 5 bonus points!

TwinGalaxies Top 3
  1. 136,490 (David B Yancey)
(Game 1, Difficulty B)
Current Standings

1. Deteacher [197]
  2. toymailman [178]
  3. keilbaca [123]
  4. theking21083 [90]
  5. PressureCooker2600 [85]
  6. Captain Beard [74]
  7. homerwannabee [72]
  8. Impaler_26 [65]
  9. Kurt_Woloch [61]
  10. rheffera [57]
  11. Recycled [44]
  12. Nathan Strum [40]
  13. phaxda [40]
  14. SpiceWare [39]
  15. DarthCalvin [36]
  16. Blackjack [35]
  17. Christophero Sly [35]
  18. midnight magicman [26]
  19. shadow460 [25]
  20. LarcenTyler [24]
  21. Rom Hunter [23]
  22. aftermac [22]
  23. Mister VCS [21]
  24. Butterwasp [18]
  25. theKLT [11]
  26. godzillajoe [11]
  27. lucifershalo [10]
  28. Artlover [9]
  29. Dauber [9]
  30. ed1475 [8]
  31. keitaro [7]
  32. Gemini [6]
  33. Omegamatrix [6]
  34. vintagegamecrazy [5]
  35. chuckwalla [5]
  36. Nognir [5]
  37. MrBeefy [5]
  38. Goochman [4]
  39. doctorclu [4]
  40. atari2600land [4]
  41. SeaGtGruff [3]
  42. Crazy Climber [2]
  43. gospeedde [2]
  44. Phantom [2]
  45. Snider-man [2]
  46. lonewolfette9847 [1]
  47. RJ [1]
  48. [d2f]Iggy*SJB [1]
  49. HatNJ [1]
  50. KaeruYojimbo [1]

Scoring Points in Double Dragon
  • The score is based on the kicks and punches you land.
  • Punch - 50 points
  • Kick - 100 points
  • Jump Kick - 100 points
  • Elbow - 180 points
  • Bat - 200 points
  • Oil Drum - 200 points
  • Knife - 500 points

Hints and Tips
  • You can't drop your weapon, but it can be taken away from you during the heat of battle. Keep your distance while slugging it out.
  • Don't squander your lives early on! You'll definitely need all your strength once you're locked in battle with the Shadow Boss.
  • The corners can be good places to clobber your opponent. Be careful, though - you might get trapped yourself.
  • Keep an eye on the timer. If your time runs out before you polish off your opponent, you lose a life. If it's your last life, you go back to the beginning of the game.
  • When you are playing a one-person game (Game 1), avoid getting in between your opponents, their lightning manoeuvres will soon destroy you.
The Manual
As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy available online for your viewing pleasure. Here are the tips it provides:
Impaler_26
First of all the 2600 version of double dragon does not play like a beat 'em up, it's more like a hit and run game.
As only one enemy attacks at a time i usually take out the upper one first and then the lower one.
What i do is wait for the enemy to come close enough at a certain distance then just press fire and punch him 2 or 3 times. Then i run away and repeat the process.
Be sure to keep your distance, if the enemy comes too close he'll kick your butt.
This strategy works fine for me until i reach those 2 fat bosses on level 2...
Deteacher
Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th0-t0X8ZTk

I'll try to cut the video down to the essential points:

1. When there are two enemies on screen (doesn't matter what kind of enemy it is) always kill the bottom one first. You can pretty much take him out with the kick. Just stand at the bottom left hand side of the screen and time your kick right and you'll take him out, while suffering minimal damage. There isn't a "magic spot" per se. It's really all in the timing of your kick. If you time it right, you'll hit your enemy before he can get a shot in on you. If you kick too early, he'll back off and you'll miss. If you time it too late, he'll get ya before you land your kick.

2. After taking out the first guy, take out the second one by staying one or two lines below him and moving at an angle. He can't hurt you unless he's on the same line as you. So, keep working on him as you move on a diagonal.

3. Kill the "bat guy" before taking the bat. If you try to take the bat while he's still alive, you'll be sorry. Use the same strategy as tip #2.

4. Take the chicks out with jump kicks. They're REAL easy.

5. Take out the fat thugs using tips 1 and 2.

6. "Barrel Guy" (otherwise known as 'brown thing' guy) can be taken out using tip #2. Don't take his 'brown thing' until he's dead. Use it to kill the next enemy.
aftermac
Tip: It takes 5 kicks or 9 punches to kill the guys on the first screen. Once you get the timing down the bad guys will barely be able to touch you.

Tip: The women are really easy, I just keep punching them... I don't think I've been hit by them yet.

Tip: Don't bother with the elbows just stick to punching and kicking... and maybe the occasional jump kick.

Tip: Keep running around at angles to avoid the knife throwers

(Regarding Strategy #1 and #2 from Deteachers hints) The reason for two different strategies is because of the number of enemies on the screen. You can't use the second strategy to kill the first guy because when two enemies are present they will stay at their top and bottom positions and you will just switch who you are fighting.

The second strategy is better for killing enemies because if you stay slightly below them they CAN'T hurt you, but it does NOT work if two enemies are on the screen because your enemy won't follow you from the top to bottom.

You can use the first strategy to kill the bottom guy and the top guy will come down to the bottom, but he WILL be able to hurt you because you are on the same line.
Bentley Bear!
I mastered the elbow punch, how to pull it off on this game consistently, learned the timing to the enemies knockdown frame, how to maneuver around enemies without them striking you and... Volia'! I would beat the game from there on, just about every time I fired it up. I could bust elbows really good with my old 7800 joysticks but I managed to translate it well to this ole Saitek pad. The only way to beat this game fellas is to just elbow smash'em all to death!!!! Ph33r the powa of the elbow! >:)

Here's a complete walkthrough on YouTube:

Double Dragon for the Atari 2600 walk thru: Missions 1 & 2
Double Dragon for the Atari 2600 walk thru: Missions 3a & 3b
Double Dragon for the Atari 2600 walk thru: Mission 4
Deteacher
The only way I can see to get through mission 2 in time is to run up to the enemies. You can't wait for them to come to you because they move so freakin' slow. You just have to kick their butts as quickly as possible.
aftermac
My strategy was to not let the enemies kill me. :D

Seriously.

My plan was to use my lives to run out of time on Missions 2, 3a, and 3b. It took many a game, but I finally achieved this. I do not under any circumstances see myself finishing these levels in the alloted amount of time, so this is pretty much the best I can do.

--Zero

first run: 46,500

Ummm...

Tips please.

Just some little hints like:

Is it even possible to hit your opponent more than once without getting knocked on your ass?

Does punching do anything at all?

Is successfully completely the elbow move anything more than a pipe dream?

And, most importantly, how the hell do you control your dude? :x :x :x

first run: 46,500

Ummm...

Tips please.

I only made it to the end of level 2 but here are a few tips:

First of all the 2600 version of double dragon does not play like a beat 'em up, it's more like a hit and run game.

As only one enemy attacks at a time i usually take out the upper one first and then the lower one.

What i do is wait for the enemy to come close enough at a certain distance then just press fire and punch him 2 or 3 times. Then i run away and repeat the process.

Be sure to keep your distance, if the enemy comes too close he'll kick your butt.

This strategy works fine for me until i reach those 2 fat bosses on level 2...

Edited by Impaler_26

1st Place!! Let's see how long this lasts... ;)

Not very long! :P

Looks like this is a competition for second place... I smell a rat! :P

I keep getting destroyed by the fat dudes too... I can kill the first one but the second just won't die! :x

post-17553-1201735342_thumb.png

Tip: It takes 5 kicks or 9 punches to kill the guys on the first screen. Once you get the timing down the bad guys will barely be able to touch you.

Tip: The women are really easy, I just keep punching them... I don't think I've been hit by them yet.

Tip: Don't bother with the elbows just stick to punching and kicking... and maybe the occasional jump kick.

Tip: Keep running around at angles to avoid the knife throwers

This game is an unfair piece of crap!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just after i killed the 2 fat dudes in level 2 there comes a third one, throws that brown "thing" at me and bam - i'm dead!!!!!! I hate this game!!!

You say that some dude threw a "Brown Thing" at you. Hmm, seems basically what Activision did when they released this game ;)

This game is an unfair piece of crap!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just after i killed the 2 fat dudes in level 2 there comes a third one, throws that brown "thing" at me and bam - i'm dead!!!!!! I hate this game!!!

If you think that's bad... I actually killed the third guy... then a FOURTH guy comes out!! I thought I had actually beaten the level with no power left. Needless to say the fourth guy killed me instantly.

I watched the video and it helped me immensely. I'll try to cut the video down to the essential points:

1. When there are two enemies on screen (doesn't matter what kind of enemy it is) always kill the bottom one first. You can pretty much take him out with the kick. Just stand at the bottom left hand side of the screen and time your kick right and you'll take him out, while suffering minimal damage.

2. After taking out the first guy, take out the second one by staying one or two lines below him and moving at an angle. He can't hurt you unless he's on the same line as you. So, keep working on him as you move on a diagonal.

3. Kill the "bat guy" before taking the bat. If you try to take the bat while he's still alive, you'll be sorry. Use the same strategy as tip #2.

4. Take the chicks out with jump kicks. They're REAL easy.

5. Take out the fat thugs using tips 1 and 2.

6. "Barrel Guy" (otherwise known as 'brown thing' guy) can be taken out using tip #2. Don't take his 'brown thing' until he's dead. Use it to kill the next enemy.

That's about as far as I got, so far. I hope these tips help as they shot my score up from 100 points to my current high of 23,900.

Yeah, it's kind of a crappy conversion, but at the same time, it's pretty amazing they were able to do anything remotely close to Double Dragon. Can something be impressive and crappy at the same time? I think Activision managed to do so with this game. ;)

Almost gotcha 'teach! ;)

I guess I'm on the short list of people who think this game is better than it's reputation. When I first played this game a few months ago I couldn't kill one guy, because I was trying to button jam the enemy to death. The 2600 version of DD is VERY much timing based.

The BIGGEST tip from the video is for killing the fat guys. This last game I reached them with zero lives left, but full power and was able to kill all four of them (they did drain all my power) and came really close killing the two guys on the next screen.

The game can be frustrating, but I don't think it's any more so than other games (ie. H.E.R.O... the up and down delay in the prop pack was killing me).

This game is CRAPTASTIC!

post-17553-1201787150_thumb.png