Photo

The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

409 replies to this topic

#401 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 2,406 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 10:12 AM

I was talking about the various European licences cloesn if systems, and one nightmare came to haunt me :

itt-telematch-processor-fairchild-channe

This is a Channel F clone.. and also the death of design.

Ther eis simply no imagination put into that, or heart, or feelings.

Il looks like ITT took the shell from a digital alarm clock and shoehorned a console in it.

It looks like an 8 track player to me.  I totally understand what you are saying, but I get a very classic feel from it and kinda like it. 

#402 CatPix OFFLINE  

CatPix

River Patroller

• 3,568 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:33 PM

But it's SO inedaquate :D 8 tracks players were only briefly popular in Europe, and in many countries, there weren't even any home players.

#403 pacman000 OFFLINE  

pacman000

Moonsweeper

• 313 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:40 PM

I do like the ITT Channel F, but I'll admit it looks like an alarm clock case.

#404 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,243 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:20 PM

In this case, I dislike the joysticks more than the console. The original Fairchild joysticks have something quirky but stylish in them, the ITT ones look like the handle you use for a Scalextric car track.

Edited by carlsson, Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:21 PM.

#405 tbb033 OFFLINE  

tbb033

Chopper Commander

• 118 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:27 PM

I may be in the minority, but I love the ridiculousness of the SuperGrafx. That thing looked SERIOUS BUSINESS for the time! 

yes, looks like they took a Tg16 and just suped the crap out of it.

Genesis model 1, i can't believe people think is ugly. Thats one of the top 10 if not greatest of all time.

#406 Dripfree OFFLINE  

Dripfree

Moonsweeper

• 405 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 5:50 PM

Seen a lot of mention of the original ds and I got to agree. Not only did it look bad but it always felt cheap to me almost like a mass production prototype although I didn't realize that at the time. I actually realized that when the first generation 3ds released. I specifically remember thinking "this reminds me of the ds gen 1 they still got some work to do to get this right." To a much lesser extent I feel it with the switch also.

#407 supercoupe91 OFFLINE  

supercoupe91

Star Raider

• 94 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 6:38 PM

I don't think you have to go back very far to find the ugliest console. Just look at the super slim ps3.

#408 wongojack OFFLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 2,406 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 AM

In this case, I dislike the joysticks more than the console. The original Fairchild joysticks have something quirky but stylish in them, the ITT ones look like the handle you use for a Scalextric car track.

Again - you are 100% correct, but I kinda LIKE that about it.  

"Remember when we used to listen to 8 tracks and play with slot cars?  That was awesome bro!"

Ya know -- stuff like that

#409 mbd30 OFFLINE  

mbd30

River Patroller

• 2,833 posts

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:41 AM

It looks like an 8 track player to me.  I totally understand what you are saying, but I get a very classic feel from it and kinda like it. 

The only way this thing could be any more 70s would be if you played it while wearing a leisure suit under a disco ball.

#410 DJ Clae OFFLINE  

DJ Clae

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 PM

The FM Towns Marty has that nice generic quintessential 90's CD console look. Nothing stands out but it's not poorly designed either. It harkens back to a time I feel very familiar with. I love that, and that's why the console is the background of our logo for our Youtube channel and Twitter feed.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users