The Ugliest Looking Game System Ever!

408 replies to this topic

#26 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 11,226 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 6:31 PM

I'd go with the original Xbox. And not for the size, but for the giant "X" on top of it. The 360 is much better looking though.

#27 kroogur OFFLINE  

kroogur

Stargunner

• 1,695 posts
  • Ever have one of those days?

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:24 PM

Fairchild Channel F

#28 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,263 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:31 PM

Posted Image

Here, it was marketed under the Philips brand.

Nintendo Gamecube is pretty ugly, so was the NES.

Edited by Rybags, Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:31 PM.

#29 spacecadet OFFLINE  

spacecadet

River Patroller

• 2,386 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:37 PM

I personally find the Xbox 360 pretty hideous. It's curvy in all the wrong ways. Actually, curves in general are not usually a good thing in game console design, but if you're gonna have curves, they've gotta be convex, not concave. The giant power button doesn't help either.

I still say the TG-16 is the ugliest system ever. It's even uglier up close than it is in pictures. The worst part about it is that literally half the system's volume is a cheap plastic cover on the back that hides the connector to the CD attachment.

I actually like the first two Genesis designs. The Genesis 3 is one of the uglier consoles, though... if you can even call it that. It's more like a hockey puck.

The original Famicom was ugly as sin, but it's got a certain retro charm. I like it, but in the same way I like avocado green curtains on wood paneling. It's not really a qualitative judgment when I say I like it, it's mostly based on nostalgia for a different era, and respect for what the system accomplished.

I always thought the Dreamcast was just pretty generic. I like how compact and efficient its design is, though; it's very dense. But it just doesn't look like much of anything.

I don't like the original grey PlayStation, although that's more the color than the shape. No piece of electronics should ever be grey. The system in other colors looks pretty good. The Net Yaraoze still looks nice, and if you got one of those replacement cases in different colors, they mostly looked pretty cool too.

I feel the same about the original grey Saturn, though the later white (and US black) ones looked better.

#30 Rik OFFLINE  

Rik

River Patroller

• 4,445 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 7:39 PM

How about the arcadia 2001?as the ugliest.I really like how the CV looks though! ;)

#31 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,599 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 9:19 PM

I second the Supervision as the ugliest handheld. That flex part looked like it was made of cheap electrical tape, and the screen was gaudy. It had some really fun games, though. The fat PSP is a very close second for ugliest handheld. The shape and everything is nice, but I hate the way it shows every little smear on its surface.

Ugliest console, I think I agree with the Genny 3. Follow that up with the 2600 Jr and the PSOne. The box PS2's looks are nothing to write home about, especially when you've got that network adapter sticking aimlessly out of the back and your Game Shark has turned on that bright yellow light inside the system.

Best looking handheld, IMO, would be a Game Gear with the strap attatched and the whole thing shined up a bit. Best looking console would probably be the Model 2 Saturn. The M2 might also fall into this category--the one I saw pictures of was blue and everything seemed to be in there just right.

Oddest looking console is the Sears Heavy Sixer. It's not ugly at all, but it's definitely different from anything else, IMO.

#32 midnight magicman OFFLINE  

midnight magicman

Dragonstomper

• 645 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:31 PM

Hi Guys:

I always believed the Atari 5200 was a Drop Dead Gorgeous Console!! However, the design was to "Bulky, & Over Sized" and people in my neighborhood thought it was a "Monstrosity" for those reasons (sadly). The same goes with the Adam Computer.

Anthony....

I heard the same thing back in the day from alot of friends (that it was too bulky & oversized). I personally think it's hot-as-h*ll! It (to me) really defines alot of what the '80s was about. Bigger is better! More is more! & how about that trackball controller?! That thing is bigger than most SYSTEMS nowadays!! Hot hot hot!!

Peace

#33 Reaperman OFFLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,673 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 11:27 PM

there are so many game consoles which were ugly. I think the 3do (fz-1) was pretty awful. Black and square with pillars--but at least it was flat enough to stack things on.

The jaguar also comes to mind as being godawful. Rather than create an ugly cdrom attachment which looked 'bolted on' and not part of the original design, jag decided instead to make a giant 'cdrom hole'. thanks, now I need a piece of hardware which does nothing useful except make the console possible to look at. spiffy. I wonder if there's anything I can stuff in that controller port hole in front...

#34 DrLove0378 OFFLINE  

DrLove0378

Chopper Commander

• 231 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2008 11:48 PM

I still say the TG-16 is the ugliest system ever. It's even uglier up close than it is in pictures. The worst part about it is that literally half the system's volume is a cheap plastic cover on the back that hides the connector to the CD attachment.

I heard that NEC deliberately made the TurboGrafx-16 case bigger, to make American buyers think they were getting more for their money. I believe it -- compare it to the PC-Engine case, and you'll agree.

(I have a TurboBooster-Plus on the back of mine, and it adds close to 100% more volume to the console...)

#35 liveinabin OFFLINE  

liveinabin

Pencil wrangler

• 6,479 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:35 AM

The Amstrad GX4000. A truly horrible piece of cheap plastic.

#36 ovalbugmann OFFLINE  

ovalbugmann

River Patroller

• 2,436 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:27 AM

I don't like the cd-rom indentation on the Jaguar base unit but with the cd player on I think the Jaguar looks futuristic and cool. :cool: Snes does look like it was built with Legos. When I first saw a 5200 in person on a small table, I thought it was a table -it's a monstrosity, but I would like to get one. :) Grey color on the PS1 looks lame. I like those black sports Dreamcasts much better than the standard white ones. PS2 microcase or whatever it's called, I thought was cool, it's so small compared to the original PS2.

#37 mimo OFFLINE  

mimo

Preppie!

• 6,804 posts
  • It's easy living in a bubble

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:43 AM

Jag with Jag CD looks like a toilet, but I still love it.
The original Xbox is pretty bad, even the crystal version is not much of an improvement

#38 games_player OFFLINE  

games_player

Space Invader

• 24 posts
  • Goofing off ;)

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:46 AM

A picture of the Atari 5200 Hotel unit, Ugliest thing I have seen in my life that and any FC twin or retro duo system(s) that seem to be every where. (OT ? : do these things really work as good as the real console ?.).

Edited by games_player, Wed Feb 6, 2008 3:48 AM.

#39 MattelAquarius OFFLINE  

MattelAquarius

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:17 AM

I can't believe no one mentioned the original brown and woodgrain INTY. That's an ugly sucker. I like the 2600 woody, but the INTY really blew the whole look.

#40 AtticGamer OFFLINE  

AtticGamer

Dragonstomper

• 980 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:24 AM

U.S. SNES
Nintendo DS Phat
3DO
CDI
Sega Nomad
Xbox 360
Atari 5200.

Edited by Atari_kid, Wed Feb 6, 2008 4:24 AM.

#41 so_tough! OFFLINE  

so_tough!

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts
  • at the mad hatter's tea party...

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:33 AM

I LOVE the way the original Megadrive looks (especially the Japanese one!!!), Tg16 isn't ugly, its just not as small and cute like the pc engine. I think the Jaguar looks kick ass too, its really photogenic...

THe pal and Japanese Snes looks way better than the American version. And the Japanese Famicom, looks better than the American/European nes.

But I kinda like things with character..I wouldn't call any of them ugly..even the colecovision, it looks weird, but cool-like its from another time. But, I'm weird..I would take a big old tv over a new flatscreen one.

The 3d0??? I always thought the 3do looked cool!!!! All of the versions.

Edited by so_tough!, Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:36 AM.

#42 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• 4,501 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:13 AM

I tend to agree, though the RCA Studio II is a damned ugly machine.

Curt

Fairchild Channel F

#43 joeybastard OFFLINE  

joeybastard

The hottest thing from the North to come out of the South

• 12,221 posts
  • Lover of All American Burgers

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:57 AM

I tend to agree, though the RCA Studio II is a damned ugly machine.

Curt

True, the Studio II looks like some kind of alarm keypad that should be hanging on the wall. Was there ever a Studio I?

Attached Thumbnails

• RCA_II.jpg

#44 christianscott27 OFFLINE  

christianscott27

Quadrunner

• 5,147 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 8:54 AM

You gotta give extra dis to a console that desperately wanted to have style but couldnt pull it off, sorta like when Sears tries to have "hip" clothes.

Posted Image

#45 PingvinBlueJeans OFFLINE  

PingvinBlueJeans

River Patroller

• 4,346 posts
  • Eat It

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:07 AM

As long as the games look good, I don't really care what my console looks like. I do tend to dislike big, bulky systems though. If I had to choose:

Best looking: PC Engine or Atari 2600 Jr.

Ugliest: NES (toaster) or Atari 5200

#46 so_tough! OFFLINE  

so_tough!

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:50 AM

You gotta give extra dis to a console that desperately wanted to have style but couldnt pull it off, sorta like when Sears tries to have "hip" clothes.

Posted Image

I think this Atari looks kinda cool, am I weird?

#47 Recycled OFFLINE  

Recycled

River Patroller

• 2,428 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:03 AM

Posted Image

I think it looks nice as well....but you're still weird.

#48 Prodos8 OFFLINE  

Prodos8

River Patroller

• 2,260 posts
  • Where is John Galt?

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:08 AM

I can't believe no one mentioned the original brown and woodgrain INTY. That's an ugly sucker. I like the 2600 woody, but the INTY really blew the whole look.

Wow! Really, it's actually one of my favorite looking consoles. Yeah the controllers have issues, but it looks good.
Posted Image

I'd say the U.S. SNES and the original PlayStation are my least favorite looking.

#49 Recycled OFFLINE  

Recycled

River Patroller

• 2,428 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:19 AM

Wow! Really, it's actually one of my favorite looking consoles. Yeah the controllers have issues, but it looks good.
Posted Image

Yes, I think the original INTY is fine looking hardware as well.

#50 so_tough! OFFLINE  

so_tough!

River Patroller

• 2,978 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2008 10:20 AM

Posted Image

I think it looks nice as well....but you're still weird.

Thank you :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users