IGNORED

Colecovision Mods Wanted

decypher

I am looking for someone to mod my colecovision. I want the sound/video mods and Would like to have the internal power mod done. If anyone mods colecovisions let me know.

Jim

try pm'ing doubledown

or heres his site

http://vikingvideogames.com/

I've been thinking about this for a while... anyone have any docs on how to do this yourself, or part numbers on what parts to get? I saw Ben Heck's mod, but not sure that's the best one. The 8bit domain mod looked pretty cool. but may have been overkill for most. I personally would still like to Composite mod my CV and add a push button illuminated power switch to it instead of the slide.

Murph

I am looking for someone to mod my colecovision. I want the sound/video mods and Would like to have the internal power mod done. If anyone mods colecovisions let me know.

Jim

try pm'ing doubledown

or heres his site

http://vikingvideogames.com/

I've been thinking about this for a while... anyone have any docs on how to do this yourself, or part numbers on what parts to get? I saw Ben Heck's mod, but not sure that's the best one. The 8bit domain mod looked pretty cool. but may have been overkill for most. I personally would still like to Composite mod my CV and add a push button illuminated power switch to it instead of the slide.

Murph

I've taken delivery of an 8bit domain mod but have yet to install it (took a good 3 to 4 months to get it after placing the order). I've got the extra wires to enable me to try out the component video (i.e. using RGB cables) option - I plan on reporting back on my experience once I get this up and running.

An internal power mod would be pretty cool - oh to get rid of the power brick!!!!

But unfortunately I don't have a lot of console modding time these days. I've had a little time for a few controlles I've made, but that's about it.

Hi Doubledown.

Nice CV. you got there :cool:

If you don't have the time for modding, would you like to share you knowledge for others :?:

I have a PAL Version of the CV. and i'm living in Denmark far away :ponder:

I have tried to figure out by my self, but my tv. shows only Black and White.

I have trying this for a long time in different ways.

US CV. and EUR CV. is allmost the same inside, but the output is not.

Edited by ten-four

For its simplicity Ben Heck's composite mod works very well. I've done two CVs using his method and they're both still going strong, I think. I know mine is but the other I traded away. If your looking for s-video, though, you'll need to try another mod.

BTW you can only get composite video while using the 2600 expansion module and if you want sound while using it you need to get it from inside the RF unit instead of the CV's sound chip. I took the audio signal from the same column of pins +12v was on, it was the second pin from the rear of unit below that yellow tab thing. Also on the trim pot on both of mine I just had it turned all the way down (0 resistance) for best picture so you could probably get away with leaving out.

Lab Rat's s-video mod: http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/cv_svideo.html

Ben Heck's composite mod: http://benheck.com/Games/Coleco/Video_Mod.htm

I've tried Ben's composite video mod and the one I use gives a better brighter picture, not rediculously better, but noticable. The one I use I actually found on the net 3 or 4 years ago I believe from the 8-Bit Lab Rat site. The S-video, component video, digital audio (optical and coaxial), replacement switches, and internal power supply I figured out for myself. I've also got a VGA mod that I've done, but haven't cosmetically finished it.

As Prodos8 said composite video is the only video output that will work with the expansion module, but if I want to play Atari I'll play on my modded 7800 so that doesn't really concern me. Also the sound will need to be pulled from the RF box for expansion module sound, but again I don't use it so I take mine off the sound chip as it is clearer.

As for why you're only getting a B/W signal I couldn't tell you. I've modded a "PAL" CBS console and used it on a NTSC tv with no problem.

But unfortunately I don't have a lot of console modding time these days. I've had a little time for a few controlles I've made, but that's about it.

That really is a shame about not having time for console modding anymore.

Would be great though, if as ten-four suggested, you could maybe share some of your knowledge. There appear to be a few alternative sources for either doing AV mods yourself or having them done for you. I've just got an 8BitDomain mod (yet to install) and so my main interest at the moment is being able to do a power mod to eliminate the "brick" and replacement of the power switch with an illuminated one. Any pointers as to what components are required and where they can be bought would be most appreciated.

Edited by Ikrananka

...Also the sound will need to be pulled from the RF box for expansion module sound, .....

Any chance you could describe what you would have to do to make this work? Would be nice to be able to have two sets of RCA plugs for audio output, one for CV games and the other for when the Atari adapter is in use.

...Also the sound will need to be pulled from the RF box for expansion module sound, .....

Any chance you could describe what you would have to do to make this work? Would be nice to be able to have two sets of RCA plugs for audio output, one for CV games and the other for when the Atari adapter is in use.

If you tap the sound from within the RF modulator the sound will work with CV & Atari games. I really hadn't noticed any difference in clarity, but you could run a seperate wire directly to the CV sound chip to another set of jacks. That connection would only work with CV games though. You only get mono sound either way, but could wire it to two RCA jacks or use a splitter for a left & right channels.

Here is my earlier thread for the "same" question. :sad:

Would it be possible to use the chip LT1399 for the rgb mod. :?:

Take a look on the diagram in this document on page 2.

Getting an actual RGB output wouldn't be a simple mod. As the VDP outputs color difference (the VDPs for the Adam and the DINA output composite natively) you would need to find a converter that could convert whichever output you could achieve via modding (component will be the best), to an RGB signal. A standard external set-top-box would be the easiest way, but not cheap. I'm not sure how well or if that chip will work for the conversion.

• 5 months later...

Just came across this thread again... The home theater is 'almost' complete-- no ColecoVision is active yet. I'm going to need a Component Modded CV to make my dreams a reality as the projector is mounted to the right of the room, and the AV components are set up to the left of the room with a 8 input component switch running between... Doubledown, any chance you've come up with more time yet, or maybe decided to share your discoveries on how to make this happen? :)